Support

Support PS3

Support PS3

22 Jun 2013
By: AndyJay123

6 Posts

Blinking Red Light, PS3 Wont Come Back On..

9 Replies 445 Views Created 22-06-2013

I've been playing "The Last Of Us" for about 3-4 hours and my PS3 has just randomly shut off with the red light blinking. When I press the power button it beeps and goes to steady red light. When I try to switch it on I can hear it powering up for literally one second then it beeps, shuts off and starts blinking again. I can't even get my disc out and I only bought it the other day? D;

Before it shut down the fans started to get a bit loud, so does this sound like a overheat or a failure? It's switched off at the mains atm so I'll give it time to cool down although it doesn't feel that hot.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (445 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Blinking Red Light, PS3 Wont Come Back On..

Just tried it again and it's still doing it.

The light flashes blue to indicate a disc or whatever, goes yellow for a split second then flashes red :/

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (443 Views)
0 Kudos

Andyjay same happening to me with blackops2 and half life. Reading other forums the only sensible advice is to ring Sony technical support.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (413 Views)
0 Kudos

I've seen some videos where they reapply the thermal paste etc. I've ordered some to give it a try. I'll ring them if it fails though.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (379 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

If the thermal paste was the problem the PS3 should at least run for a few minutes before it gets too hot. Thermal paste only improves the heat transfer from the chip to the heat sink but that should still happen even without paste.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (373 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

AndyJay123 wrote:

Just tried it again and it's still doing it.

The light flashes blue to indicate a disc or whatever, goes yellow for a split second then flashes red :/

You have heard of YLOD, right? Basically your console has died. Sorry mate.

First option is send it to Sony for a guaranteed fix (or replacement). It's a little pricy compared to some other options, but there's the whole 'guarantee' part of it. You'll need to call them to discuss options. There are some DIY options, or alot of repair centres will have a go at it. Search for YLOD, and you'll get more of an idea. All the best :smileyhappy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (338 Views)
0 Kudos

I've managed to fix it myself with a heat gun and some decent thermal paste :smileyhappy:

Just ordered one of the USB external fans too, so I shall see how long it lasts for..

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (318 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Well done. Note it was the heat gun that fixed it not the thermal paste.

Even so, the heat gun method is temporary at best. The heat re-flows the solder under the GPU/CPU but without flux it is a very dodgy repair. Don't expect it to last very long.

Buy a new (or at least another) PS3 and do a direct cable transfer of data.

Some BigWs are still selling PS3 slims if you don't want one of the new Superslims.

If you prefer to keep your PS3 for some reason (like it's a 60gb launch model or something) get it professionally repaired. At least you know it can be.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (301 Views)
0 Kudos

Gah – mine's just done this too. I can't afford any repair cost, so I guess there's no option available to me at this point.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (290 Views)
0 Kudos

Hmm well if it breaks I doubt I'll get a new one with the PS4 coming out. I guess I'll have to buy GTA on PC until they launch it on PS4 :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (259 Views)
0 Kudos