21 May 2010

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Flashing Red Light!!!?

11 Replies 1,563 Views Created 21-05-2010

Last night while playing Modnation Racers (Great game), my beloved (40GB) machine suddenly shut-down. I immediately attempted to restart, all I get from the system is a brief (1sec) start up attempt followed by a flashing red light. I retried several time, no progress.

My disc is stuck in the machine, I have three years worth of save files and downloads :Confused:; These are my questions:

1. I am informed that Sony will reformat my drive when I send it in. Is there no way they can save them for     me?
  2. How can I get the disc out of the device?
  3. I have purchased a new slim today, how can I transfer my files from the dead machine to the new one     before I send the dead machine for repair?
  4. If I am unable to to save any of my old data will I have to start levelling up from the  beginning in            Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company 2?
Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,

:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (1,563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Flashing Red Light!!!?

Good News

is

You can get the disk out as I think the 40GB has the emergency eject feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-wV05_Zjg&feature=related

Bad News

You have lost all your game saves (unless u backed them up).

The only way to get them off is to find someone that can recover the files from the HDD (like you would a PC).

Sorry to hear it dude.......

Same thing happened to me except that I had back ups of 98% of my games.

Of course I had the 60GB which doesnt have the emergency eject feature so I had to take things into my own hands.....

Fix R18+ Ratings
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (1,558 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks,

Disk out safely. Next step, Saves. I have been looking into it all day, no solutions evident. I guess I will just have to replay games and back up more often when I get back into playing. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (1,558 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

AssiduousJohn wrote:

1. If I am unable to to save any of my old data will I have to start levelling up from the  beginning in            Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company 2?

If you mean online stats, no. :smileyhappy: Just make sure you rememebr the details of your PSN account!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (1,552 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Someone else here said they have the same thing, the YLOD but they get around it by turning on the machine and about 20 mins later it works. Try turning it on and leaving it for 20 mins.
I doubt it will work but its worth a chance as it cant get any worse. its already dead but IF and thats a huge IF it does actually turn on you can get your data backed up or transfered to the new slim.
PS3 - It only DID everything, now it does A LOT LESS THAT IT DID.

Gamer, real life is just a hobby
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (1,538 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I called Sony and they say it will cost A$250 to repair the out of warranty console. So;

I went out today and spent seventy bucks on the tools needed to do a YLOD repair. I then followed a detailed youtube video. The playstation has come back to life... I still don't believe it. Lets see how long it stays fixed. Have had it on for the last six hours so far doing a full back up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (1,515 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Might I also recommend that you also back up ur SAVE FILES invdividually.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/game/copysavedata.html

Fix R18+ Ratings
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (1,477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i am now also a victim of the flasing red light of death...

last nite at 6pm i set my playtv on schedule for 2 programs, came back at 11pm to notice my ps3 light was flashing red. so i googled around to find several "fixes" to give a go before giving sony a call which ill try out this afternoon. i really do hope its problem with the ps3 itself than the hdd...as i havn't performed a backup since sony last restored my faulty bd player ps3..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (1,402 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Even if it's a problem with the PS3 not the HDD, if they replace the motherboard your old HDD will format straight away anyway! Maybe you could do the same thing AssiduousJohn did, and buy the tools to do it yourself. A lot of people are having success at it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (1,376 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

thanks...i found out last nite after giving a repairshop a call and he said he's aware of the common problem and if its repairable than my hdd data will be ok but if it needs replacement then the hdd will format as u mentioned. good news it'll cost me $150, bad news is i gotta wait 2-3weeks before he gets the tools & equipment to do it...gonna look at YLOD kit in the meantime...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (1,373 Views)
0 Kudos