06 Oct 2010

Playstation Staff

How to play a hard drive through my ps3?

4 Replies 27,282 Views Created 06-10-2010

Hi, sorry i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing, but i'd like to be able to watch movies that i have on my hard drive throgh my ps3. Is it possible and how would i go about doing it?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (27,282 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: How to play a hard drive through my ps3?

Your hard drive must be formatted to Fat32 for the PS3 to be able to read it. If it is not formatted to fat32 your other option is to connect your hard drive to a PC running media server software so that the PS3 can access it through the network.

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (27,281 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

yup FAT 32 can be read by the console and if it is in the other format NTFS then the external hard drive will not be seen.

If you want to change the file format you will need to locate the software on the interweb.

Cheers

Ras

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (27,259 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi thanks for your reply

I was just wanting a bit more info on locating the software on the interweb?

Cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (27,245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Rastan_Saga wrote:

yup FAT 32 can be read by the console and if it is in the other format NTFS then the external hard drive will not be seen.

If you want to change the file format you will need to locate the software on the interweb.

Cheers

Ras

the other format? Well I guess it's the only other large capacity file system that Windows can read.

Mentalmachine,

Converting a drive to fat32 without losing everything is possible but risky. It also takes ages. Safer and quicker to copy your files onto a computer, reformat the drive to fat32 then copy them back again.

Safer and more sensible (but much, much slower it seems) for Sony to join the 21st century and recognise more file systems (even just that one!) on external hard drives.

Que sera sera.

links:

How to format an external hard drive to Fat32 in Windows

How to watch videos off a hard drive that PS3 won't look at without reformatting to fat 32 but you s...

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (27,235 Views)
0 Kudos