84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BuckoNZ
Accepted Solution

Jeepers.... obviously what a touchy subject!   My only reason for bringing this up, what that if the PS3 had this tool/ability, I would no longer need my Home theatre PC in my lounge. The only device I would require is the PS3 - which I alwasy thought was a goal of Sony's in respect to this device.

No... my comment had NOTHING to do with piracy.  If you own a movie (i.e. DVD), you are entitled to take a backup of it.  How do you think all these "high end" digital media players for home theatre systems are allowed on the market!

0 Kudos

Re: ISO mounting tool for PS3

Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution
Yeah... "backup"... riiiiiiight.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Pretoria

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pretoria
Accepted Solution

SomeoneSayPirate.PNG

0 Kudos

Pretoria Sig
/16

DamageY

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DamageY
Accepted Solution

BuckoNZ wrote:

Jeepers.... obviously what a touchy subject!   My only reason for bringing this up, what that if the PS3 had this tool/ability, I would no longer need my Home theatre PC in my lounge. The only device I would require is the PS3 - which I alwasy thought was a goal of Sony's in respect to this device.

No... my comment had NOTHING to do with piracy.  If you own a movie (i.e. DVD), you are entitled to take a backup of it.  How do you think all these "high end" digital media players for home theatre systems are allowed on the market!

If Ken Kutaragi was still around, he would have made PS3 the central hub of home entertainment. Nowadays Sony hasn't got a clue and just wants PS3 to be a game console. I mean the machine's got so much potential and power but it's getting more restrictive with every update.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

TEABAGNEMESIS

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TEABAGNEMESIS
Accepted Solution

BuckoNZ wrote:

Ok, obviously it's been edited, but I can guess what's gone on here :smileywink:. I haven't been following the laws back home, but last time I checked they made more sense than they do here for digital copyrights. In oz you may make a copy at a lesser bit-rate - provided no copy protection methods have been circumvented. Which means 99% of cd's are sweet, but only 5% of dvd's(note: all statistics made up) may be copied. The laws need to be updated to keep up with the technology, but I feel they'll always be a few steps behind.

There should be nothing wrong with making legitimate backups. To those who are quick to jump on the piracy bandwagon, get a life. There's enough drm issues working against the proper functioning of devices, programs and games already. The problem is compounded when everyone gets all high and mighty at the mention of the word "back-up". At some point people need to realise that even though some will clearly abuse the systems in place, this will always happen. The greater majority would appreciate and utilise anything that will make their lives easier, which includes not having to get up to put a dvd in each time, if say they could load on multiple .iso's to watch on their ps3...

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

I agree. I already have my entire CD collection stored on my PS3 and, if the video store takes off, pretty soon people will have a fair sized video library on their PS3 as well.  It would be convenient if one could store ones movie collection on there. Except I have over 400 titles now so I'd need a much bigger hard drive. It's a pity you can't install more than one hard drive in a PS3. :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

BuckoNZ

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BuckoNZ
Accepted Solution

Thank you. Personally, I am quite offended at the jump to piracy. In fact, I'm totally against the practise. However I am about using technology to the fullest and using technology to make my life and simple and easy as possible.

If I own a DVD, blu-ray or CD, I should be able to enjoy it - for my own personal use and benefit - the easiest and most convenient way I see fit.  Hence my call for an ISO mouting option for the PS3... no more... no less... and definarely NOT to take advantage of copied material.

On that note, it's quite concerning that a moderator on this forum would completey "change" my original posting in theway it was done.  He/she would have been better off to place a warning on the this thread against the topic of piracy and the encouragement of the same.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution

Regardless of your legitemate use argument, it is still something that will be seen to support or promote piracy, and therefore would be highly unlikely to ever be implemented in the PS3 firmware. Just because you wouldn't use that feature in that way doesn't mean nobody else would.

I find it concerning that you would only think about your own wants and not even consider the broader implications.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Lythinari

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lythinari
Accepted Solution

Anyway, the XMB doesnt allow for ISO mounting anyway.

You'd be much better off if you converted it to avi/mpeg/whatever

You'd have to play around with the settings in whatever program, but you should be able to get the same quality.

BTW, Ive never seen a high end home theatre system use iso mounting tools for playback.

Which one(s)?

I know those hard drive recorders can store and copy to dvd, but thats different.

0 Kudos

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
/16

GTR34mh

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GTR34mh
Accepted Solution

Uh, if your movie was a legitamate back-up, couldn't you just simply put the disc in? Surely that would just make life easier?

And if you tell me that you have far too many movies to look through, find a better way to store them.

0 Kudos

BTG forums
Beta Tester
/16

TEABAGNEMESIS

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TEABAGNEMESIS
Accepted Solution

Renze wrote:

Regardless of your legitemate use argument, it is still something that will be seen to support or promote piracy, and therefore would be highly unlikely to ever be implemented in the PS3 firmware. Just because you wouldn't use that feature in that way doesn't mean nobody else would.

I find it concerning that you would only think about your own wants and not even consider the broader implications.

Nonsense. The ps3 is already able to use a fair bit of copyrighted material. It has broad codec support as it is. Do you really think that everyone that has upgraded their hdd's has done so to enable the downloading of 100+ game demos? The firm ware has long had the ability to rip cd's onto the internal drive, how on earth would the support of a similar function using dvd's all of a sudden change everyone into rabid pirates?

Lythinari wrote:

Anyway, the XMB doesnt allow for ISO mounting anyway.

You'd be much better off if you converted it to avi/mpeg/whatever

You'd have to play around with the settings in whatever program, but you should be able to get the same quality.

As I've said, the ps3 has support for alot of codecs as is, and I agree with this comment that it's better to convert to a separate .avi or whatever to better utilise space. However doing so is at the moment illegal.  What is also illegal is recording tv streams. Play tv/foxtel/sky/tivo etc are able to get around this by paying licensing fees. They are fully aware that their equipment is in direct contradiction to the law, yet everyone is happy to turn a blind eye as all are getting money for jam.

So if cd's and tv broadcast are over-looked, what's the big deal with movies? It's about time companies stopped trying to prey on their customers and bully them into paying multiple times to enjoy their content. Seriously, if someone was going to pirate some movies, they wouldn't be looking to install said movies as .iso's on their hdd! But a function like this would be well received, as it would enable users to have multiple (legitimate) movies available to view at any stage. At the end of the day, playstation has been marketed as a home entertainment device rather than purely a games machine

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Lythinari

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lythinari
Accepted Solution

I never knew we could copy cd's to the PS3 system?

I thought making a copy via avi/mpeg/mp4/whatever was the same as making a physical copy of the cd?

I dont think any natural home entertainment device allows for iso mounting anyway, I think PS3 would be the first if it was made available.

Maybe an internal cd rack for some other system? but thats kinda different.

You could get a media drive, that you plug into the tv, but that is a codec not from iso.

I do agree though, a tap recorder etc is illegal, because you dont own the actual material you are copying.

0 Kudos

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Beta Tester
/16

TEABAGNEMESIS

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TEABAGNEMESIS
Accepted Solution

you can, insert a cd, click on it, then press triangle and import. Settings can be changed in options to set bit-rate. Making a copy of avi/mpeg etc is relating to movies, which is still a no-no at this stage. That is the absurd part...

I don't think any devices use iso's at this point either. A cd rack, in any shape or form would just be cumbersome. I can see the logic behind it, but to me it makes more sense to enable the copying of movies direct to the hdd. Think about the simplicity of downloading multiple games from psn, and having them all within the xmb to choose from. If I had the option to buy disc versions of those games at a discount, I'd still get them from the psn, as I can have them all there and change between them at will. I think a similar format for video content would be a real boost in the user-friendly side of things

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

It is convenient being able to play the games you buy from PSN without having to insert a disk. Especially since inserting the disk the first time usually results in an enormous update download anyway. Sometimes I wonder if there's really that much on the disk at all.

I'd be happy to download the movies from PSN once we get grown up internet access in this country. I think there should be access to movies from other providers as well.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Arathane
Accepted Solution

I store all of my DVDs and Music on my PC and just stream it to the PS3, works fine although im gonna have to upgrade my PC HDD soon, 500GB obviously isnt enough :D I had the HDD Loader for my PS2, i wonder why they havnt brought one out for the PS3 yet? That thing was awesome, especially when the disc drive started to die, i just left the HDLoader disc in the drive for years :P

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel