02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

Installing new hard drive with software update 3.41

30 Replies 8,685 Views Created 29-07-2010
29 Jul 2010
By jf9680

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install a new 500GB Western Digital hard drive and have come to a dead end. I have followed all instructions and the problem I feel lies in the software update. When first powering up the PS3 with the new hdd, it tells me that the hdd  needs to be formatted. The formatting takes place and all goes well. It then says "No applicable update data was found. Connect a storage media that contains update data version of 3.41 or later." Now prior to powering up the PS3, there is a USB memory stick with this software update already in one of the USB ports. From here the PS3 finds the file location from PS3 => UPDATE => PS3UPDAT.PUP. This is where the problem occurs, the system prepares for the install of this update gets to about 50% and then says "No applicable update data was found....."

Now, I have phoned the Playstation helpline and although nice & trying to be helpful, I was getting replies like:

- It's the first Ive heard of it

- it must be the hard drive

- there must be something wrong with your PS3

- Maybe try and download the file from a friends computer with a different internet connection

- We can not guarantee that external devices will be compatible

Also I have tried two different hdds: 500GB WD Blue Scorpio & SAMSUNG 250GB and had the same problem occur. I have also found people in the US experiencing the same problems. So this seems to be a global problem Has anyone in Australia tried to install a new hdd with the software update 3.41 and had some success? Does anyone have a solution, because unfortunately the tech support guys can not help me.

The link for the US Playstation forum is:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Updates/Upgrading-Harddrive-need-3-41/td-p/45984903

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jf9680

55%
02 Rank
Progress
jf9680
Accepted Solution
I just looked on the Playstation forum in the US and the problem seems to be fixed. I rang Sony AUS and they confirmed that the problem has been resolved as well. I have just downloaded the 3.41with the new WD 500GB hdd and managed to get past the whole " preparing to update" screen. After all of this I checked the system information and whoopee it actually says I have 412GB/ 465GB => so 412GB free. I just need to resore my old files with my external hdd and we should be good to go. This will take approximately 1.5 hrs. Anyway looks all good from now, everyone can relax and install the new hdd

My only gripe with Sony is that on the website, the software update still says 3.41. It doesn't says anything like "sorry guys we stuffed up & we should have listened to you from the start => here is the updated 3.41 or the new 3.41. It just looks like the old icon/screen you would click for the update.

Anyway not to worry...all fixed now....thanks Sony for eventually listening to the public who actually buy your product.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Installing new hard drive with software update 3.41

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jf9680

55%
02 Rank
Progress
jf9680
Accepted Solution
I just looked on the Playstation forum in the US and the problem seems to be fixed. I rang Sony AUS and they confirmed that the problem has been resolved as well. I have just downloaded the 3.41with the new WD 500GB hdd and managed to get past the whole " preparing to update" screen. After all of this I checked the system information and whoopee it actually says I have 412GB/ 465GB => so 412GB free. I just need to resore my old files with my external hdd and we should be good to go. This will take approximately 1.5 hrs. Anyway looks all good from now, everyone can relax and install the new hdd

My only gripe with Sony is that on the website, the software update still says 3.41. It doesn't says anything like "sorry guys we stuffed up & we should have listened to you from the start => here is the updated 3.41 or the new 3.41. It just looks like the old icon/screen you would click for the update.

Anyway not to worry...all fixed now....thanks Sony for eventually listening to the public who actually buy your product.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Hmm yeah the checksum is different now from the update I downoloaded last week. I wonder if I should update again even if I'm not changing my hard drive?

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jf9680

55%
02 Rank
Progress
jf9680
Accepted Solution

I suppose it couldn't hurt. My old hdd (120GB) had the old V3.41 installed via automatic download and my new hdd (500GB) has the updated V3.41loaded in via USB memory stick. I don't think that there would be any difference apart from the whole installing new hdd with the older version V3.41 problem. Note my old hdd worked fine with the old V3.41.If your PS3 works fine, just wait for V3.42 to come out

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SpawnSeekSlay

45%
02 Rank
Progress
SpawnSeekSlay
Accepted Solution

Interesting it worked for you.

I got the email from the tech support to say its been fixed

Redownloaded the 3.41 file from the AU site

But

Mine still fails at 81%, tried it 3x , 81% each time...

Not sure how yours worked and mine still doesnt

Annoying

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jf9680

55%
02 Rank
Progress
jf9680
Accepted Solution
Interesting it worked for you.
I got the email from the tech support to say its been fixed
Redownloaded the 3.41 file from the AU site
But
Mine still fails at 81%, tried it 3x , 81% each time...
Not sure how yours worked and mine still doesnt"

***** that's crap. Like you said it worked for me but not for you. That's just weird. Sorry mate, I don't know what to tell you
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Spawn try to delete your cache and maybe try a different proxy if your ISP has a proxy

0 Kudos

regards
Rob

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SpawnSeekSlay

45%
02 Rank
Progress
SpawnSeekSlay
Accepted Solution

RandAPle4 wrote:

Spawn try to delete your cache and maybe try a different proxy if your ISP has a proxy

Yeah downloaded it at work, so must have been cached. One from work woeked but home one was still the old one? strange... but oh well all up and running :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SpawnSeekSlay

45%
02 Rank
Progress
SpawnSeekSlay
Accepted Solution

RandAPle4 wrote:

Hmm yeah the checksum is different now from the update I downoloaded last week. I wonder if I should update again even if I'm not changing my hard drive?

What u showing them both at?

167 MB (175,193,760 bytes)

same on both weekends file and the new file ive just downloaded???

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Quick technobabble lesson:

Checksum is basically an additon of the total bit values of a file. It's used by network transmission protocols to error check received data but can also be used to verifiy if you have the right file (provided that you know the checksum to start with).

md5sum is a linux command to discover the checksum

> md5sum filename

I dont know if Windows does it.

New PS3UPDAT.PUP file checksum: e07d2b84c9e9691c261b73e5f1aada20

"old" PS3UPDAT.PUP file checksum: 00c835be718fc3d5f793e130a2b74217

therefore the two files are not identical. They may be the same size but their bits do not add up to the same amount.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LABAKK

22%
02 Rank
Progress
LABAKK
Accepted Solution
can u give that system?? i really need that ps3 system.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel