Playstation Staff

Re: Installing new hard drive with software update 3.41

Hi, I am one of the people affected by the PS3 3.41 Firmware update. I haven't experienced any problems after updating my original 80GB HDD with 3.41 using the PS3 to download it, but when I try to install my new 500GB HDD, you also need to reinstall 3.41 via the PC download using a memory stick to transfer it over, this is when the problem starts. I have updated this way before without a hitch but now i get the error message "No applicable update data was found". There is nothing wrong with my PS3, it still works with the original hard drive, and nothing wrong with my PC or memory stick, both have been thoroughly checked. There is no human error, i've followed the instructions carefully and methodically. My new hard drive has been tested and works perfectly fine, the PS3 recognises it, formatted it, but just won't transfer the full 3.41 update onto it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31 (2,827 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

jf9680 wrote:

My old hard drive which is back in my PS3 at the moment has definitely got software update 3.41 and it downloaded successfully . If my original hdd was still on V3.40, I wouldn't be having this issue. You see when you do a mandatory update (i.e. to continue playing online), it also downloads this a bit of this software update into a specific storage area inside the PS3 in which you can not access. When you try to install another hard drive (i.e. for bigger storage), the PS3 insists that you load on the same software update so everything matches up. 

Hmm okay, so try this:

Update your PS3 again only this time use the PC method instead of the online method. That way you know that the firmware you are trying to load when you upgrade the hard drive is the same as the one that was loaded before.

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31 (2,810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Same problem, PS3 gimped now..

Been reading up on this alot. Seems the 40mb update patch from 3.40 to 3.41 is fine, as had done this prev on HDD without problem,  but the full 3.41 patch is corrupt or gimped in its programming.

Everyone that is having the problem like myself is having it with the HDD upgrade and full 3.41 file that is needed.

And yes my usb pen drives are fine, used them multiple times for gamesaves, movies, music, ps3updates... all folders are right, its fat32 blah blah. Beleive me i know what im doing...

Sony fix the f**kn 3.41 full file will ya so i can continue with the format and upgrade of my new hdd. And you better pray that since its gimped on this "No applicable update was found" screen and no way to turn off safely mid process that my HDD better not be bloody corrupted because u WILL get a lawsuit.

Sort... your.... *****..... out

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31 (2,787 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

"Hmm okay, so try this:

Update your PS3 again only this time use the PC method instead of the online method. That way you know that the firmware you are trying to load when you upgrade the hard drive is the same as the one that was loaded before."

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not game to try this, since my PS3 actually works at the moment with my old hdd. A few people on the US forum tried this method and now their PS3 does not work. Sony justs needs to own up, pull their finger out and fix the bloody software update instead of blaming every other peripheral under the sun.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31 (2,775 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Fair enough. However before I posted that advice I upgraded my ps3 again using the downloaded firmware on a usb hard drive just to check it was possible and it did it just fine. It says something along the lines of "the same version of the firmware has been found. Do you want to install it again?" not having a photographic memory I don't recall exactly what it said. I tend to think the firmware itself is fine. Of course it's totally up to you: I wouldn't want to risk my PS3 either under those circumstances.

On your second point: Nobody in a forum can help you if you believe that Sony need to fix their firmware. Forums just get users complaining to each other. Call Sony and be persistent (but pleasant) if you want any real action taken.

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31 (2,771 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Its not the same.

Take your drive out and put a new one in... then try it.

This is a full upgrade, not just the firmware update on a HDD that already has the entire system and setup on it.

My new drive gets to about 70% format then says the applicable update data is not found. And beleive me its there on the stick in the right folders on usb drives ive used many times.

I hope i dont have to wait till 3.42 before i can actually use my ps3 again. At the moment its nothing more than a brick.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 31 (2,754 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I've got the same problem trying to upgrade to a 500g HDD.

The previous system was updated to 3.41 before I started.

Get error message "No applicable update data was found....."

I've tried three different external memory sources.

Used the AU source for update.

Have got to 99% on one occasion before getting the error.

Looks like a 3.41 bug.

Reverted to old disk until bug is fixed.

Sony should have the message by now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31 (2,737 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I read somewhere this morning (cant remember where now) about them looking into it now.

All they need to do is fix the downloadable 3.41 file on the net.. how hard can it be?!?

Question will be how do we know they have done it when they do it? i dont want to redownload 170mb  each day to try...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31 (2,734 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

hey everyone, check this out http://ps3harddriveupgrade341.webs.com/index.htm I have tried this and it works, the only difference is i did it with 2 usb hdd enclosures instead of opening up my computer.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31 (2,715 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

necroslaughter wrote:

hey everyone, check this out http://ps3harddriveupgrade341.webs.com/index.htm I have tried this and it works, the only difference is i did it with 2 usb hdd enclosures instead of opening up my computer.

This is interesting, esp that the program can see the format of the drive considering it is its own and not fat32 or ntfs... but all things aside its a little extreme and too much work for my liking. Anyway i only have the one drive and I wiped it to do a disk check on it on the pc, then when put it back in to see how its going ... well i cant... because on this freckn update file...

How long does it take to just fix the update PUP file on the net? thats all it is...  so SONY... DO IT!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31 (2,696 Views)
0 Kudos