03 Jan 2010

Playstation Staff

My Playstation 3 won't play DVDs

7 Replies 7,389 Views Created 03-01-2010

I just got a PS3, the slim 120GB version. I also got myself a monitor screen to have a better experience of the console. I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the console to the screen.

I tried my games and they worked fine. Then I put a DVD in but the screen ends up telling me "No Signal". I don't understand, if it plays the games, how come it can't play the DVD?

Unfortunately I don't have a blu-ray disc to try it on the console to see if it works or not...

Did anybody else come across this sort of problem?

Can anybody help me?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (7,389 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: My Playstation 3 won't play DVDs

what display resolutions does the monitor have, and what display settings have you got your ps3 set to?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (7,379 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Howdy, listen this may not work, although it is definitely worth a shot.

Go to the Video Settings under the Settings column, select BD 1080p 24hz OUTPUT (hdmi), turn this option OFF.

Otherwise try lowering the resolution temporarily in the Display Settings folder.

Good Luck.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (7,352 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

its coz you got a ps3 slim, ps3 slim cant play dvdv's etc ps2 games- if you cant play ps2 games on slim dvdvs wont work coz ps2 are dvd's.   The fat ps3 could play dvds i think, only BD on slim its just like that.

can any1 correct me if im worng?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (7,330 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

AznFresh wrote:

its coz you got a ps3 slim, ps3 slim cant play dvdv's etc ps2 games- if you cant play ps2 games on slim dvdvs wont work coz ps2 are dvd's.   The fat ps3 could play dvds i think, only BD on slim its just like that.

Sorry sir, but you must stand corrected. The PlayStation 3 120gb , referred to as the Slimline, can play the following: DVDs (Region 4/All), Blu-Rays (Region B/Multi), PlayStation 3 Games (All), PlayStation One games (PAL) and Audio CDs.

As you mentioned, it does not play PlayStation 2 games. I hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (7,329 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

My PS3 Console is connected to an Acer  monitor, the Slim PS3's do play DVD, but only with real TV's. Computer monitor will allow blu-ray media only, because computer monitors have one resolution, and when dvdsor play tv are used the monitor will say, 'no signal' or 'input not supported' this is because the ps3 automatically changeto a lower resolution for dvds and play tv. hope this helps. ciao

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (6,076 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

could you possibly set the dsiplay settings manually rather than auto and only have 1 or 2 resolutions ticked, forcing the ps3 to play dvd out at a certain res?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (6,074 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

AznFresh wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________

Lol where do some people get there info....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (6,059 Views)
0 Kudos