29 Oct 2010

Playstation Staff

My ps3 wont recognise my external hard drive or any USB sticks. why?

3 Replies 5,819 Views Created 29-10-2010

My ps3 wont recognise my external hard drive or any USB sticks. why? I am trying to perform a backup of all my saves as i am upgrading to a new 120gb PS3  and selling my 80gb and want to have all my game saves  on my external hard drive

there is plenty of space on the external, approx 890gb left, and i have also partitioned it and created a "PS3" saves partition like i read to do on a different forum.

can anyone please tell me why my ps3 recognises nothing?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (5,819 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: My ps3 wont recognise my external hard drive or any USB sticks. why?

Is the external drive formatted to FAT32 or NTFS? The PS3 only knows FAT32, and will not see an NTFS formatted drive.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (5,809 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It does need to be in FAT32  format and also the foldering that needs to be done on the PC should be as the following:

Create a folder called 'PS3'  all in capital letters, INSIDE of that PS3 folder, create a folder and name it 'UPDATE' once again all in capital letters. You need to drag the actual update INSIDE of that 'UPDATE' folder for the Playstation to be able to recognize the update.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (5,804 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

As the above posts state, you need to have your drive in a Fat 32 formatting. You can either partition your exernal hard drive (if you have other files on your drive for instance, to keep things seperate, or just format the whole drive). I partitioned my 1TB Seagate Expansion drive with 50GB's of space to back up my 320GB ps3 slim.

You can use this tool to make the format, since Windows 7 doesnt allow formatting with FAT 32 over 32GBS.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (5,784 Views)
0 Kudos