27 Dec 2011
By bmxmad
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 60gb stops reading disks once its hot.

8 Replies 1,781 Views Created 27-12-2010

Hey so my PS3 Starts playing games/blu rays and then 20mins into playing a game or movie it will start to stutter and freeze and I go to feel my PS3 and its getting pretty hot, its out on top of the cabinet away from everything just to clear up I don't have it locked in a sauna.

I try to then take the disk out and the blue light just keeps flashing and the disk don't come out so I turn it off and start it up and take the disk out and put it back in. Now the PS3 doesn't even recognise a disk inside the PS3 u can see the loading clock up the top right trying to read it  but it stays like that forever. I put in DVDs and PS2 games and they play perfectly for hours then when I put a PS3 game or Blu Ray movie in it  starts them up but freezes after 30 seconds.

What can I do to fix this? My Blu Ray drive is still working it just stops working once the PS3 gets hot, and is there anyway to get my PS3 running cool again like its brand new?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (1,781 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 60gb stops reading disks once its hot.

You could look at buying one of those cooling things, I'd say that if its running hot it could very well be close to death so back up stuff etc. Mine ran hotter than usual for maybe a week before its demise.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (1,770 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

My friend is telling me about putting new thermal paste on one of the parts in it, will it help it not getting soo hot?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (1,763 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

u might wont to think about  getting a big fan for it to help it cool down

mabe something like is 1

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (1,730 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

bmxmad wrote:

My friend is telling me about putting new thermal paste on one of the parts in it, will it help it not getting soo hot?

It might help but it might not. If you like your 60GB console you should get it properly serviced by someone who knows what they are doing. It may seem expensive but it's cheaper than buying a new console.

Call sony support

and have a talk about it.
And do a full backup to an external hard disk ASAP

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (1,709 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

if u back up the ps3  and send it in to get fixed by sony, all the games, game saves, DLC, videos, music wont be put back on the ps3. thats if the motherboard gets replaced, nothing will go back on the ps3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (1,688 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

What is your point? A full backup will save almost everything on the hard disk. Surely it's bettter to have a backup of almost everything than no backup at all?

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (1,678 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

if sony change the motherboard in the ps3, the ps3 will have a new system id. so when it comes to restoring the backup, it wont put all the things back because the id is different to the backup of that system id

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (1,670 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Ive had to send the ps3 to Sony before because lightning caused power serge and took out my phone line along with my PS3s Ethernet port. I backed up my PS3 before sending it away and when I got it back I went to back up my stuff and not everything went back on because Sony sent me a different PS3 back. 

My 60gb PS3 isn't my main PS3 its just used as a blu ray player so the HDD is clean got nothing on it. I'm just looking for a quick and easy fix I don't want to really empty my pockets sending it back to Sony.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,646 Views)
0 Kudos