02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

PS3 Controller Keeps Scrolling Down

23 Replies 48,543 Views Created 18-03-2010

In the menu, games and even PlayTV, the controller keeps scrolling everything down to the bottom. Nothing looks wrong with it,

Can someone please tell me what I need to do inorder to get my controller fixed? If you know why it happened (so I can avoid doing so again next time) please tell me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

highside_33

20%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
highside_33
Accepted Solution

I have a bd remote. The start up menu would scroll from side to side without stopping. Put new batteries in the remote and the problem has been fixed .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Controller Keeps Scrolling Down

Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution
It would probably be a lot cheaper for you to buy a new controller than to get it fixed.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Good to have more than one anyway.

Does it do it when it's plugged into usb?

Do you have a BD remote jammed down the back of a couch cushion somewhere?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

Toots4You

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Toots4You
Accepted Solution

The only thing that I can recommend is doing a resync of the controler. To do that you have to find the really small hole on the back and push it in with a pin.

After that plug it back in with the USB cable and see if it is still having the same issue. If it is then you might have to get a new one because Sony don't do repairs on controlers.

If it is in warranty (which is 12 months from when you purchased it) take it back to where you got it from with the receipt for an exchange.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

sidawg2

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sidawg2
Accepted Solution
click stick L3 in. wiggle it around and see if it returns to centre.

if you have a guitar hero guitar or something plugged in, make sure the strummer isnt being activated.
0 Kudos

/16

dessy

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dessy
Accepted Solution

I had a controller that continuously scrolled left to right. I rectified it by letting the controller run to dead flat, then recharged it and resynced it to the PS3. I'm not sure that will work in every case, but it worked for me.

There is also a reset button on the back of your controller - turn it over and you will see it to the right of the middle screw.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

highside_33

20%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
highside_33
Accepted Solution

I have a bd remote. The start up menu would scroll from side to side without stopping. Put new batteries in the remote and the problem has been fixed .

0 Kudos

/16
22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lightning_Cubs72
Accepted Solution
Would it mess up the controller? I'm so scared because that is the only controller I have and it's soooooo special  please reply 
0 Kudos

/16

iLythium

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iLythium
Accepted Solution

There is no risk to your controller by performing a reset or letting it run completely flat.

If you're still having issues with a controller after a reset it may need to be replaced, depending on the issue.

Let us know the nature of the problem you are having and we will be happy to offer some advice. :)

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

iLythium wrote:

There is no risk to your controller by performing a reset or letting it run completely flat.

Actually, letting a lithium battery run completely flat isn't very good for it at all.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

iLythium

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iLythium
Accepted Solution

RandAPle4 wrote:

iLythium wrote:

Actually, letting a lithium battery run completely flat isn't very good for it at all.

I've let mine run completely flat hundreds of times, no issues. :)

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution
There is completely flat (the lithium battery switches to "never charge again" mode), and completely flat (the connected hardware has noticed the battery dropping below a set percentage, and turns off before it dies). I think you're both talking about different versions of those words. :D
0 Kudos

/16

iLythium

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iLythium
Accepted Solution

Renze wrote:
There is completely flat (the lithium battery switches to "never charge again" mode), and completely flat (the connected hardware has noticed the battery dropping below a set percentage, and turns off before it dies). I think you're both talking about different versions of those words. :D

Haha, yeah. I meant the second interpretation. Sorry if I was misleading.

Thanks for your input :)

0 Kudos

/16

YonNZL86

97%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YonNZL86
Accepted Solution

Renze wrote:

Obligatory:

montoya.jpg

1 Kudo

/16

iLythium

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iLythium
Accepted Solution

lol Yon :Lol:

0 Kudos

/16

s2k_fun

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
s2k_fun
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem where a controller was trying to scroll down superfast as soon as it was connected wirelessly. Battery voltage was good, reset (the ps3 & the controller) did not help. When I took the controller apart I found that next to the flex connector for the front knobs there was an area that had not been properly cleaned to remove all the solder flux when the controller circuit board was made. The flux had caused corrosion to build a bridge across a couple traces where their via holes were close. The light blue green corrison was shorting those traces making the controller think someone was holding a button down. I removed the bridge & corrosion with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. The controller was fine after that. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

/16

Tnucdam

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tnucdam
Accepted Solution
I have two controllers. When I connect with one it scroll down and left. When I connect the other one at the same time they both work fine. Then when I turn off the one I originally connected with, it freaks out again. Both my controllers work fine at my friends house. Leads me to believe that it is the console. I always do updates and since it happened there have been no updates. I've tried everything short of formatting the console. This seems like a pretty common problem, but some people have found issues with the controllers and some with the firmware. Is there an option to escalate the issues on this forum to a Sony tech?
0 Kudos

/16

shakboy132

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shakboy132
Accepted Solution

Hi Tnucdam,

Sorry to hear about your issue there.

I'd suggest that you contact Playstation Support directly for them to look into the problem further.

Cheers

0 Kudos

/16

etirvan

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
etirvan
Accepted Solution

OK, I just ran into a similar problem.  My controller kept wanting to go down and to the right.  I decided to try updating my system to see if that might fix it it.  Lo and behold, it did.  Try updating your PS3.  If it worked for me, it might work for you.  Might just be some kind of firmware problem and not actually a hardware issue.

0 Kudos

/16

BlueFire9987

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlueFire9987
Accepted Solution

I tried most all the above, and nothing helped my controller stop scrolling upward. In frustration, I simply dropped mine from about five feet up, and boom: everything stopped, and it's working just fine now.

0 Kudos

/16

firebatzz231

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
firebatzz231
Accepted Solution

My controller keeps on scrolling right. I move left and i goes back to right. Up and down work though. What can i do plz tell me??

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel