26 Jan 2009

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 Won't Read Game Discs... But Will Read Movie Discs???

75 Replies 179,698 Views Created 26-01-2009
I haven't changed anything on my ps3, not even an update, other than installing Home. However none of my PS3 Game discs seem to be recognised by the PS3 anymore. The blue light under my green power light turns on and stays on (that activity light), and in the corner the water circle mark that comes up when the PS3 is busy, comes up for a few seconds then goes away. So I thought okay, maybe my PS3 Blu Ray Drive died, cause I've been hearing alot of those cases, but then I decided to put in my Blu Ray Movies in, and it works fine... So I'm guessing the drive is okay, but why can't it recognise my games... What to do?? >_<
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 76 (179,698 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Won't Read Game Discs... But Will Read Movie Discs???

I would suggest doing an update.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 76 (179,667 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

It is on the latest version when I was experiencing the problem, however it seems to be working now after a format of hdd oddly enough~
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 76 (179,663 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
I am having the same problem too! And my system is up to date, it plays dvds Blu-ray movies, but not the blu-ray games, so idk what the deal is. I also thought my blu laser burnt out and thats $150 to fix, but i have no idea what the heck it could be! I remember back when xbox and ps2 didnt give us any problems at all.
Message Edited by Diamondsarnt4eva on 01-10-2009 02:10 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 76 (179,374 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

BRABOY wrote:
I am having the same problem too! And my system is up to date, it plays dvds Blu-ray movies, but not the blu-ray games, so idk what the deal is. I also thought my blu laser burnt out and thats $150 to fix, but i have no idea what the heck it could be! I remember back when xbox and ps2 didnt give us any problems at all.

Really what company in their right mind want a product to break down and their customer to have a bad experience??

Products are not built to break. They are built with a life in mind which is why products are cheaper to purchase now.

In the old day products would last much longer they also cost more to purchase. Half of the problem is consumer demand.

Everyone want it more powerful, cheaper and they want it yesterday. 

Message Edited by Diamondsarnt4eva on 01-10-2009 02:11 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 76 (179,342 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
i'm have'n the same problum.........i have a 40g and a 60g but it is only happing on the 60g....dvd/bluray/ps2 games works fine but just wont read ps3 games......some will have audio others just freeze help someone please
Message Edited by dabbman on 30-03-2009 08:43 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 76 (179,302 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

my playstation does similer it plays all movie's fine but when it comes to games it goes into the gme and then it freezes and the only way to turn it off is to pull the power out i need help
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 76 (179,221 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

what did yoy do? I have same issue. If youfound a solution please email me.Not re if Iwill ever find my back to this site
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 76 (177,612 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

We would like to suggest a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the matter for you.

1) Trying installing the latest system software update (which can be downloaded directly from the network or you can download the file from www.playstation.com.au

2) Trying restoring the default settings. (This can be found under system setting on the PlayStation 3 settings menu). Be aware that this WON'T remove the content from your HardDrive. Be sure that you selecting Restore Default Settings AND NOT Restore PS3 system.

3) The final suggestion would be to perform a soft reset. When the PlayStation 3 system is in stand by mode (the red stand by light). What we need you to do is hold your finger down on the power button consistently for two beeps instead of one beep. When the second beep is triggered, lift your finger from the power button & the main menu should come up.

If you still find the PlayStation 3 system is struggling with reading your games, we would recommend contacting the support team while you have your PlayStation 3 system set up so that we can discuss a solution with you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 76 (177,558 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i need help getting in to chat with friends please help me...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 76 (169,708 Views)
0 Kudos