Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Won't Read Game Discs... But Will Read Movie Discs???

Cheers mate sorted my problem out. Thanks for the help
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 76 (12,255 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Cheers mate sorted my problem out.Thanks for the help
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 76 (12,253 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Ok, I was having the same problem with not being able to play games but was able to watch DVD's.  I went through the process of restoring the file system and even went as far as formatting the hard drive (not recommended...takes forever).  Nothing worked.  I finally got on the phone with a Sony tech and he had me go though all the same stuff I had just done. It still would not play games but would play DVD's.  The Sony Tech told me I'd have to send it in for repairs which are $99 + tax. After giving them all my credit card info, they gave me a service number and told me that a shipping box would arrive with-in 3-7 days.  After hanging up the phone, I thought I'd give it one more try by putting in a game, BUT THIS TIME I TURNED THE PS3 ON IT'S END (vertically), AND IT WORKED!  Since I've owned my PS3, it's always laid flat (horizontally). But it seems that turning it vertically fixed the game reading error (don't ask me why, I just play here).  I've tried all my games and they now all load fine.  I know this may sound like an odd fix, and it may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. Good Luck!  My PS3 was bought in 2009 brand new and it's the "slim" model.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 76 (12,235 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

so if you lay it back down horizontally does it still work?

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 76 (12,226 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Sounds like it might be a problem with the lens focus stepper motor.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 76 (12,216 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

B.S. i did all of the above. in it still is not reading my games. i just updated to 4.0 oh boy what a big f**k up that was. i was playing it just fine. today. i shout it off i go to the store to get a new game for $60. get home i go to sign in something i have not done in like 7mos. its telling me i have to update to 4.0. so i do. now my ps3 will read dvds and cds but will not read any of my games. so i call playstation and they are telling me its going to be $100+ to fix it. B.S. f**k ps3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 76 (12,143 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

The PS3 is neither a doorstop, windchime, toaster, blender, steam iron, a bottle of gatorade or a can of coke....
When (obviously) you have.............your PS3 (and any device) you may own will die.....it's called neglect, stupidity and NO IDEA

Nuf said....

I Miss The ANZ Forums :smileysad:...Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 76 (12,125 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I just turned my PS3 on for the first time in a year, its an old 40gig. I bought an xbox360 slim a few months after it stop reading games about a year and a half ago. I could still watch movies and play PS1 games totally fine, and downloaded games as well. My ps3 would let me put the game disk in and play for roughly 10min, then freeze. I would turn it off and reset, this time, the game wouldnt be recognized. And every so often it would recognize the game and repeat the same stupid process. However today, i decided to try the only crappy game i had left (i sold all my good games). I expected it to work for a bit then freeze. But i played for almost a 45min with no problems. Before i tried everything Sony recommends to fix this, none worked. Maybe the update has something to do with this or maybe it was about to freeze just minutes before i quit the game. I will go borrow a game form my neighbor tomorrow and see if i can play without problems. I will make another post about this topic sometime this week.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 76 (12,116 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Hi Wired823,

It's likely best if you contact your local Support Centre to complete some troubleshooting and determine if it may need to be brought into the Service Centre to be repaired.

-sbs

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 76 (12,098 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Ok read all the post on this issue.  Have the same problem but when I put a game disc in after about 10 seconds it makes a noise like it is being ejected again but does nothing.  Tried to reboot it and in safe mode and nothing happens.  Worked fine till just did ai new update of new version.  Any one help me on this.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 76 (11,987 Views)
0 Kudos