28 Mar 2011
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 controller won't connect, corrupt wireless controller code?

36 Replies 59,604 Views Created 28-03-2011

Hi

My Sony PS3 DualShock controller will not connect to my PS3 system unless constantly connected with a USB cable. I have reset my PS3 system, my controller and performed a complete format of my 500Gb hardrive (which was heartbreaking:smileysad:) to try to get it to connect wirelessly but have had no success. However, the controller will maintain a wireless connection for approx. 30min if I perform a manual shutdown of my PS3 system by turning it off and on with the back switch. I've had my controller and system for 3 or so years now and they always used to always be able to maintain a wireless connection up to about 6 months ago. My controller can still maintain a wireless connection with another PS3 console whilst working perfectly wirelessly for an indefinite amount of time but when paired again with my system it won't connect unless a USB cable is constantly attached. If I use a different controller with my console it still won't be able to maintain a connection with the new controller which would indicate that the fault lies in my PS3 which is an original 60Gb model. A while ago I read something about a wireless controller connection file being corrupt, could this be the case for me? Is there a way to fix my wireless connection problem with my PS3 or has someone else had this problem? Or if I can't fix it, is there somewhere in Sydney where I'll be able to get it repaired?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37 (59,604 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 controller won't connect, corrupt wireless controller code?

I was going to say 'reset the controller' but you have obviously done that, and all the other troubleshooting things I would have thought of. I hope you were able to do a backup before the reformat!

I can only suggest calling the Sony Support number for assistance.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37 (59,586 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

This issue came up a while ago.....

I think the "fix" was to have the controller connected via USB and turn the PS3 on with the PS button

1TB SSHD PS4 – Samsung 40” 3D LED – Yamaha 5x 100watt Receiver
Looking for a clan to join ?? check out Beyond The Grave [BTG]
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37 (59,562 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Am having the same problem with my 500GB slim.  But this happens with both the dualshock controller & the Blueray bluetooth remote. Even when turned on manually both controller and remote will not work.

What I have noticed is if I manually turn it on at the console and turn is straight off again I can then turn it back on using the controller or remote and the ps3 works fine until I turn it off and then it starts playing up all over again. I  have also noticed that when this problem arises the ps3 bluetooth will not work & network adapter will not work as well (the green network light is off and will not login to the playstation network)...

This problem started out only happening now & again, but is now almost all the time...:Help:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37 (59,451 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

googlephract wrote:

Hi

My Sony PS3 DualShock controller will not connect to my PS3 system unless constantly connected with a USB cable. I have reset my PS3 system, my controller and performed a complete format of my 500Gb hardrive (which was heartbreaking:smileysad:) to try to get it to connect wirelessly but have had no success. However, the controller will maintain a wireless connection for approx. 30min if I perform a manual shutdown of my PS3 system by turning it off and on with the back switch. I've had my controller and system for 3 or so years now and they always used to always be able to maintain a wireless connection up to about 6 months ago. My controller can still maintain a wireless connection with another PS3 console whilst working perfectly wirelessly for an indefinite amount of time but when paired again with my system it won't connect unless a USB cable is constantly attached. If I use a different controller with my console it still won't be able to maintain a connection with the new controller which would indicate that the fault lies in my PS3 which is an original 60Gb model. A while ago I read something about a wireless controller connection file being corrupt, could this be the case for me? Is there a way to fix my wireless connection problem with my PS3 or has someone else had this problem? Or if I can't fix it, is there somewhere in Sydney where I'll be able to get it repaired?

FIX!!!   Okay so I had this issue since the last update to firmware 3.60 and finally figured out a fix!!

The Story: My controller and bluetooth headset stopped working after the last firmware update. I looked all over the internet trying things here and there. I reset my account, restored my PS3 and lost half my data grrr and i reset the damn controller. I called sony and they told me to reset my controller, restore my ps3 and when they didn't work they told me to buy a new controller and if that didn't work send the ps3 to them for 100 bucks they would fix it. I hate that answer. I also hate when dumbasses come on here and say "charge the controller" or "its a dead controller charge it dummy"!

What I did: After all of the things i just tried I figured i'd connect the controller  to my laptop to see if it was the charging issue. Windows installed some software for it and i checked the status in "my computer" it said status ok. So i connected it back to the ps3 via usb cable and hit reset on the controller a few times and unplugged the ps3 and turned off the power. Then i turned it back on and pressed the ps button. When i unplugged usb from controller the controller stayed on for the first time in weeks.

I hope this helps you all. I was pulling my hair out!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37 (59,279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

yeh i have had this issue a few times before, if you put your ps3 into stand by mode then switch the power off at the back (or unplug for slim models) then power it back up the controller should connect again. worked for me many times.
Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37 (59,257 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm having the exact same problem as you and it's doing my head in! I have the controllers, none of which will connect to my ps3 unless plugged in by USB, I can't turn on the ps3 with controller even if usb is connected, I have Bluetooth head set the wont connect to ps3 I just get error 80121601, All of the devices will work fine with my friends ps3, can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37 (57,507 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

That's about all you can do unless you try other trick methods mentioned above.

Restoring default settings usually fixes the controller's connecting and reset button on the back as well.

Best thing to do mainly is keep them charged as letting them run dead flat will reduce the battery life.

Just remember if its within 12 months old and you have a receipt you can take controller's back to the store to get them exchanged over just in case its the controller's.

Photobucket

Force no friend
Fear no foe
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37 (57,482 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey guys,

I'm having a very similar problem as you guys.

I borrowed a non-sony controller for my PS3 a few weeks ago as one of my D-pad buttons don't work (not a big deal but annoying on COD!). Since i borrowed the remote my standard remotes no longer connect to my console. When attempting to connect the four red lights flash for 5 seconds but then switch off. Neither of my original controllers connect with or without cables.

I have tried to turn the console on via the PS button on the controllers with and without the cable connected but get no response. After turning the console on the controllers will not connect with or without the cables. I have also tried un plugging the console and re-setting it but have had no luck.

The controllers charge via a charging station that connects via the usb cable. the cable is in working order and the controllers charge ok, and the system also works fine - there have been no operational problems with the system at all.

I have seen that others with similar issues have found the problem naturally resolves itself over time, or that after a reset the problem is fixed. However, some of these still maintain connection via the usb cable at least.

If anyone has any ideas, please help.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37 (53,973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Hi bexben,

Have you tried using the controller recalibration button?

On the back of the controller, to the right of the screw, press in and hold the button until the lights turn on the top of the controller turn off, and then release (You'll need a pin or paperclip).

Do these controllers work on other PS3s at all?

-sbs

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37 (53,963 Views)
0 Kudos