22 Mar 2010
By CLOUTZ
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 turns itself off, then red flashing light

51 Replies 174,377 Views Created 22-03-2010

I know this has been addressed before but i am not sure if it is quite the same problem, as i can still use my PS3. It has happened twice now, i am playing Dirt2, -both times it has been in the first race, so the PS3 has been on for maybe 5 minutes or so, which would rule out overheating- and then the PS3 just turns off without making a noise, and then the red light starts blinking. The controller wont turn the system back on but pressing the on button on the PS3 works. Then everything seems to run fine.

Is this the start of something bad? I am thinking maybe i am better to get a new one and try to sell this one off.

It is a 40gb console now has a 500GB hd in it, and it is on a hard surface with a fan blowing on it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 52 (174,377 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 turns itself off, then red flashing light

I had that a couple of times on my 80GB a couple of weeks ago (although not playing dirt2) but nothing since. I put it down to noisy mains power because it was very wet and windy that day. I still made a backup though. I also gave it a dust and vacuumed the cat hair out of the vents.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 52 (174,371 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

thats funny. just after i posted my last comment i went and vaccumed it. we also have cats, ***** hairy things lol. i also found out about a thing called a 'fan test' or something. not long after i first got my PS3 i turned it on and immediatly pushed eject, and the fans went bloody crazy. i now know it is not good for it, although at the time i had no idea what was happening
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 52 (174,365 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

My ps3 did this last night, beep, power off, red light flashing, i turned it back on and was fine, then i watched a film fine earlier, but tonight it did it, different games both times!! now its turning off and wont stay on long enough to load the main page, i took the HD out and thats not too hot at all :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 52 (174,534 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i just put my original HD back in but still wont turn on :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 52 (174,529 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well there goes my 2nd ps3 to the ylod was playn ff13 50 hours in & its gone.

does ne1 know if u can get a 1 year warrantry when sony sends u a new ps3 cause i only got my new 1 last May?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 52 (174,524 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

just a little update. I decided to get the new ps3, just to be safe. anyway, i bought one of someone who got it via redemption when u buy a sony TV and didnt want it. it had been opened but never used, and was a slim 120GB. anyway, i get it home, put in a game and it needed to update the system......and then it failed to load the update. tried 2 more times than it said to call tech support. pretty much it was screwed right out of the box. ended up taking it back to the guy i bought it off, got my money back, and he is sending it back to sony
thanks sony :smileyhappy:
there are lots of videos on youtube about how to fix blinking red light on ps3, has anyone here ever tried it for themselves?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 52 (174,442 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Been having the same problem. Stays on a little then shuts off with blinking light. I did just try the self fix with the heat gun and thermal compound and all. Had high hopes as it powered up fine but after loading a game, bam, shut down again. No fix :smileysad: Maybe I did it wrong but I followed the youtube video exactly. Bummer! Gonna just get a slim and hope to get an "okay" price for the bluray at least.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 52 (173,893 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

This is my first post in the ps3 forum...

Okay the story is, I have a 60gig playstaion. I have had it since the day it came out in australia. No problems with it what so ever. I have a fair bit of content on there, game files and DLC. I just finished downloading abes oddworld. Started to play and on the first level....BAM! my ps3 lost power, then didnt restart or anything. Turned it off and on. Will not turn on at all. Turn the switch on at the back, red light comes on, press it, green light then sorta turns white/yellowish and finally turns to a red blinking light. Reminds me off the 360 red ring. My 250gig slim still works, just not my 60gig :smileysad: Can someone on the forum shed some light? please and thank you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 52 (173,833 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

PoorlyDrawn wrote:

This is my first post in the ps3 forum...

Okay the story is, I have a 60gig playstaion. I have had it since the day it came out in australia. No problems with it what so ever. I have a fair bit of content on there, game files and DLC. I just finished downloading abes oddworld. Started to play and on the first level....BAM! my ps3 lost power, then didnt restart or anything. Turned it off and on. Will not turn on at all. Turn the switch on at the back, red light comes on, press it, green light then sorta turns white/yellowish and finally turns to a red blinking light. Reminds me off the 360 red ring. My 250gig slim still works, just not my 60gig :smileysad: Can someone on the forum shed some light? please and thank you.

It needs to go to Sony at Blacktown for surgery, it's broken. Ring Sony and they will organise it.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 52 (173,829 Views)
0 Kudos