02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

PS3 turns itself off, then red flashing light

51 Replies 180,829 Views Created 22-03-2010

I know this has been addressed before but i am not sure if it is quite the same problem, as i can still use my PS3. It has happened twice now, i am playing Dirt2, -both times it has been in the first race, so the PS3 has been on for maybe 5 minutes or so, which would rule out overheating- and then the PS3 just turns off without making a noise, and then the red light starts blinking. The controller wont turn the system back on but pressing the on button on the PS3 works. Then everything seems to run fine.

Is this the start of something bad? I am thinking maybe i am better to get a new one and try to sell this one off.

It is a 40gb console now has a 500GB hd in it, and it is on a hard surface with a fan blowing on it.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Rastan_Saga

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rastan_Saga
Accepted Solution

The lights you are describing are general indicators and they are telling you something is wrong with the hardware but its not specific.

Some hardware can be resolved over the phone but if not then we can organise the console to come to the repair centre.

Call your local Playstation support centre for assistance.

Ras.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo

Re: PS3 turns itself off, then red flashing light

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

I had that a couple of times on my 80GB a couple of weeks ago (although not playing dirt2) but nothing since. I put it down to noisy mains power because it was very wet and windy that day. I still made a backup though. I also gave it a dust and vacuumed the cat hair out of the vents.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

CLOUTZ

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CLOUTZ
Accepted Solution
thats funny. just after i posted my last comment i went and vaccumed it. we also have cats, ***** hairy things lol. i also found out about a thing called a 'fan test' or something. not long after i first got my PS3 i turned it on and immediatly pushed eject, and the fans went bloody crazy. i now know it is not good for it, although at the time i had no idea what was happening
0 Kudos

/16

shauns9119

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shauns9119
Accepted Solution

My ps3 did this last night, beep, power off, red light flashing, i turned it back on and was fine, then i watched a film fine earlier, but tonight it did it, different games both times!! now its turning off and wont stay on long enough to load the main page, i took the HD out and thats not too hot at all :(

0 Kudos

/16

shauns9119

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shauns9119
Accepted Solution
i just put my original HD back in but still wont turn on :(
0 Kudos

/16

Buddah101

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Buddah101
Accepted Solution

Well there goes my 2nd ps3 to the ylod was playn ff13 50 hours in & its gone.

does ne1 know if u can get a 1 year warrantry when sony sends u a new ps3 cause i only got my new 1 last May?

0 Kudos

/16

CLOUTZ

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CLOUTZ
Accepted Solution
just a little update. I decided to get the new ps3, just to be safe. anyway, i bought one of someone who got it via redemption when u buy a sony TV and didnt want it. it had been opened but never used, and was a slim 120GB. anyway, i get it home, put in a game and it needed to update the system......and then it failed to load the update. tried 2 more times than it said to call tech support. pretty much it was screwed right out of the box. ended up taking it back to the guy i bought it off, got my money back, and he is sending it back to sony
thanks sony :)
there are lots of videos on youtube about how to fix blinking red light on ps3, has anyone here ever tried it for themselves?
0 Kudos

/16
21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KeithDapperKombo
Accepted Solution

Been having the same problem. Stays on a little then shuts off with blinking light. I did just try the self fix with the heat gun and thermal compound and all. Had high hopes as it powered up fine but after loading a game, bam, shut down again. No fix :( Maybe I did it wrong but I followed the youtube video exactly. Bummer! Gonna just get a slim and hope to get an "okay" price for the bluray at least.

0 Kudos

/16

NePtoOM77

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NePtoOM77
Accepted Solution

hi.....my ps3 has been turning off and then starts blinking. Can you give me more information, in how to fix it?

0 Kudos

/16

PoorlyDrawn

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PoorlyDrawn
Accepted Solution

This is my first post in the ps3 forum...

Okay the story is, I have a 60gig playstaion. I have had it since the day it came out in australia. No problems with it what so ever. I have a fair bit of content on there, game files and DLC. I just finished downloading abes oddworld. Started to play and on the first level....BAM! my ps3 lost power, then didnt restart or anything. Turned it off and on. Will not turn on at all. Turn the switch on at the back, red light comes on, press it, green light then sorta turns white/yellowish and finally turns to a red blinking light. Reminds me off the 360 red ring. My 250gig slim still works, just not my 60gig :( Can someone on the forum shed some light? please and thank you.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

skf4

• Award Winner
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
skf4
Accepted Solution

PoorlyDrawn wrote:

This is my first post in the ps3 forum...

Okay the story is, I have a 60gig playstaion. I have had it since the day it came out in australia. No problems with it what so ever. I have a fair bit of content on there, game files and DLC. I just finished downloading abes oddworld. Started to play and on the first level....BAM! my ps3 lost power, then didnt restart or anything. Turned it off and on. Will not turn on at all. Turn the switch on at the back, red light comes on, press it, green light then sorta turns white/yellowish and finally turns to a red blinking light. Reminds me off the 360 red ring. My 250gig slim still works, just not my 60gig :( Can someone on the forum shed some light? please and thank you.

It needs to go to Sony at Blacktown for surgery, it's broken. Ring Sony and they will organise it.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

PoorlyDrawn

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PoorlyDrawn
Accepted Solution

Oh, thought so...*****, well that sucks. But thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos

/16

choobyloo

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
choobyloo
Accepted Solution

Yup my 40 GB model is doing this aswell and I'm annoyed coz I take such good care of it and its always cool and ventilated and hasn't been dropped, but I have had it for like 2 and a half years though maybe its getting old but still they should last longer than that. Some people say its the power supply, In rang game fix in Adelaide and he said its a cracked circuit board which if it was from my electronic experience it wouldn't work at all other wise its not a complete circuit, some other people say the fan has got to much dust but I highly dougbt that.

0 Kudos

/16

ALJ15

76%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ALJ15
Accepted Solution

Hey guys,

Call the PlayStation Service Centre on 1300 365 911 and they'll either be able to troubleshoot some of your problems or repair/exchange your PlayStations.

In terms of the 'YLOD', there's nothing  you can really do except send it to the repair centre. Sorry =(

0 Kudos

/16

misterawesome27

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
misterawesome27
Accepted Solution

here's my issue:

I have the original 20GB PS3 (the one that they stopped making). I was sitting on my couch and all of the sudden the game shut off and the power light started to flash. I turned it back on and it worked for all of about 2 seconds, then turned off again. It was raining pretty bad when it happened, so is it the weather that affected it or is my system dead?

0 Kudos

/16

goldcats44

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
goldcats44
Accepted Solution

1. Overheating.

2. Bad weather.

3. Game disc might be damaged.

4. Too much dust in vents.

5. PS3 is on it's last legs.R.I.P.

6. Hardware failure.

7. Game software is corrupted.

8. PS3 software is corrupted.

9. Game update is corrupted.

Best option is to restore PS3.

Add me on PSN goldcats44:smileywink:

0 Kudos

/16

DragonBeast1984

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DragonBeast1984
Accepted Solution

ARGHHHHH, I've been sent the RLOD today!! I don't know if I trust myself to do the DIY fix and am hoping that after an hour or so (although it was off for 14hrs beforehand) it will work again........all of this 7 days before my birthday, damn you Sony!!!

0 Kudos

/16

sparty101377

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sparty101377
Accepted Solution

I also got the RLOD but mine was under the warranty still. This will be my 4th PS3 in 4 years. I have only paid for service once. It was 99.00 to get it fixed by Sony. Unless you know what you are doing then I would suggest letting Sony send you a new one. I put my own hard drive in and they said that had nothing to do with it. I have had nothing but success with Sony customer service. When you get the new PS3 it is equipped with a 90 day warranty. Electronics fail and Sony will back their products.

0 Kudos

Gold Medal Champion
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

sparty101377 wrote:

I also got the RLOD but mine was under the warranty still. This will be my 4th PS3 in 4 years. I have only paid for service once. It was 99.00 to get it fixed by Sony. Unless you know what you are doing then I would suggest letting Sony send you a new one. I put my own hard drive in and they said that had nothing to do with it. I have had nothing but success with Sony customer service. When you get the new PS3 it is equipped with a 90 day warranty. Electronics fail and Sony will back their products.

lol

Jeez there's one born everyday 

0 Kudos

1TB PS4 - 500GB PS3 - Samsung 40" 3D LED - Yamaha 5.1 Audio
/16

DAK2010

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DAK2010
Accepted Solution

the same exact thing happened to me im mad now cuss i bought it in 2007 and the warranty expired it turns on then off in like a second

0 Kudos

/16

Jack_Daniels08

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jack_Daniels08
Accepted Solution

DAK2010 wrote:

the same exact thing happened to me im mad now cuss i bought it in 2007 and the warranty expired it turns on then off in like a second

k229374_he_mad.jpg
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
''Only after disaster can we be resurrected.'' - Tyler Durden.
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel