12 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PS3 won't read discs and freezes

11 Replies 10,136 Views Created 12-11-2009
My PS3 will not read disc's I have reset it and it reads the disc but as soon as I click on it the game starts to load then the whole thing freezes and have to turn it off and back on but then it will not read the disc again. I am not sure what it is sometimes it reads the discs and sometimes it does not... has anyone else had this problem or know what it is or how to fix it?? cheers
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (10,136 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't read discs and freezes

[ Edited ]

Sounds like it could be your Blu Ray drive.  Similar thing happened to me a little while ago.

Best bet is to contact Sony support on:

Australia: 1300 365 911

New Zealand: 09 415 2447

Times Open: Australia:                  Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm AEST 

Sat 10am - 6pm   AEST

Follow Up Line - Monday -  Friday 9am - 5pm AEST       

New Zealand:           Monday - Friday 9am till 5pm

Replacement or repair is free if your PS3 is still under warranty -   Estimated repair time is usually 10-15 working days.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (10,112 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The fault you do seem to be having could be due to a fault internally with a console.  As stulaw advised it is best that you contact the PlayStation Support Centre on the either 1300-365-911 (AU) or 09-4152447 (NZ). 

The cost to service a PlayStation 3 console is a set fee which cover's parts and labour that goes in to the machine.  When contacting the Support Centre then you will be provided with further information. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (10,103 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have the same problem, have you found out how to fix this problem add my other account TomDowns

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (9,497 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

There is no fix, you'll need to get it repaired

1TB SSHD PS4 – Samsung 40” 3D LED – Yamaha 5x 100watt Receiver
Looking for a clan to join ?? check out Beyond The Grave [BTG]
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (9,493 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

my ps3 wont read my disk's and it keeps on freezing alot!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (9,438 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

How did this start? If it started in the middle of a game I know what happened
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (8,854 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

if your still in warranty then contact sony, if not they what i did was open up the ps3, then open up the disk drive, clean the lense with cotton buds and cleansing fluid... put it back together and hopefully should be ok... other than that you'll have to pay for new console.. After i cleaned mine i unplugged all wires from inside console, then replaced em all , put it together again and it works fine. there are videos available on youtube if you're unsure of how to clean it yourself... Good Luck

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (8,793 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i bought this ps3 slim used....it worked great for a couple months then all of a sudden last week i started a modern warfare 3 game and was in the middle of a match, then it blank screened as said disc read error... i reset the system, cleaned the game and started over. it worked fine for a couple of games then it frozed in the middle of a match... i've reset the system completely and now i can usually play a few games at a time but eventually it will either freeze or disc read error. do you know what the problem is?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (7,772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

If it is working properly for a while and then stopping with a disc read error, then I would suspect that it is a problem with the disc itself. I had a similar problem with my copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, because there was a tiny crack in the disc which was slowly spreading over time. I got the disc replaced under warranty, so I'm happy now.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (7,759 Views)
0 Kudos