28 May 2012
By Olamire

Playstation Staff

Ps3 shuts down and red light start flashing

14 Replies 42,727 Views Created 28-05-2012

I own a 40gb ps3 console and I was playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood when the console  abruptly shutdown and the red light started flashing, it came on right after but after reading the blogs about the Internet,  I think I'm screwed.

Can anyone give me a glimmer of hope? If I apply new thermal compound to the CPU and GPU is it like applying masking tape to a sinking ship or is it a permanent fix?

I'm poor that why I'm asking

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (42,727 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 shuts down and red light start flashing

It may not be a thermal compound issue. It may be a dry solder issue. The brief yellow light then blinking red light indicate a general hardware fault, not specifically overheating. Applying thermal compound for a dry solder (or other) issue won't fix anything.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (42,723 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Hey there,

You haven't mentioned the yellow / amber light.

If it's solely the red flashing light, this will mostly indicate an overheating issue.

This could be caused internally, or externally. If your console boots up at all, I'd suggest making use of the time and backing up your saved data to a USB thumb stick (Game -> Saved Data Utility -> then press 'triangle' and Copy)

Ensure your console has access to open air, cool temperatures (30 degrees C or lower) and good air flow, standing the unit vertically will also give it more surface area.

If you're still having issues after all of the above, we'd suggest calling your local friendly PlayStation Support Centre for further advice :smileyhappy:

-sbs

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (42,719 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

it's solely the red flashing light, i played Might and MagicL Clash of Heroes for an hour nothing happened, started Assassin's creed Brotherhood and i got the red light in less than 7 minutes, Unchrated 3 lasted a bit longer but it just froze. i guessing is a thermal compound issue becuase the air conditioning is on and i'm freezing.
there is no yellow light just the red
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (42,717 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Olamire,

call Sony support. That won't cost you anything.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (42,711 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

RandAPle4 wrote:

Olamire,

To be fair, it's the cost of a local call for Australia. (Not sure what other phone numbers cost in other countries)

-sbs

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (42,708 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

stupidbunnysuit wrote:

RandAPle4 wrote:

Olamire,

To be fair, it's the cost of a local call for Australia. (Not sure what other phone numbers cost in other countries)

-sbs

Hey sbs

What about a skype or VOIP phone, they wouldn't cost anything right?

:Smile:

Pretoria Sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (42,683 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Pretoria wrote:

stupidbunnysuit wrote:

RandAPle4 wrote:

Olamire,

-sbs

Hey sbs

What about a skype or VOIP phone, they wouldn't cost anything right?

:Smile:

Check with your local providers :smileytongue:

-sbs

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (42,650 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm a PS3 owner in the UK suffering from the same problem.  Last night whilst playing Skyrim, the machine turned off and then the right light started flashing, whilst pressing the power button and attempting to turn the console on it flashes red light, yellow light, green light then goes back to flashing red lights.

Unfortunately when turning on the PS3 the fan sounds like it is going into hyper drive and then it turns off again.  This happened around 3 years ago and already paid Sony to fix this last time.  I installed the new console update 3 days ago and last night was only the second time I had played it with the new console update. 

1 - is there anything I can do to fix the PS3 without sending it back to Sony and without invalidating any warranty or guarantee that still remains on the product? e.g. clean the insides so that the cooling fan is working as efficiently as possible?

2 - how much will it cost to send it back to Sony and have them fix it?

3 - why does this happen? It seems like it is a regular occurrence and that nothing has been done to prevent this from occurring.  My PS3 is well looked after, I don't use it for any illegal purpose, it is in a well ventilated space and it is seldom overplayed.

4 - you mention below that there is an ability to remove the saved date on the PS3.  Can this be done whilst the machine is not on? or without properly switching on? As I don't think that it will switch on long enough to allow me to remove any data in the correct manner.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (38,366 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi all, I'm new to this forum . I've got a 60gb and was playing on it last night when it shut down. 

When you turn it on u get a red light and then green light the fan kicks in but a second later a flashing yellow light a couple of bleeps and then a flashing red light . Any ideas??? I have additional cooling fans and my ps is stood upright at all times

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (23,701 Views)
0 Kudos