By Psyvariar

Psyvariar

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Severe sound burst/crackling audio glitch during PS3 games, but perfect audio during BD/DVD movies

47 Replies 8,379 Views Created 04-11-2008

I have a 60GB Australian PAL launch PS3. I have been experiencing a severe audio crackling glitch with my PS3.

I found a number of threads through Google, of people reporting similar concerns, so it looks like a specific glitch that needs to be reported to Sony, but the problem does not seem to be fully widespread yet. Right now nobody on the internet who is experiencing the issue seems to know what is causing it.

So I will add my voice to the chorus here confirming the following problem, in the hopes that Sony's engineers may be able to identify the fault and work toward a fix:

I have my PS3 audio hooked up to a Sony brand Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 supporting AV system (model MHC-DP800AV), using optical audio connection. (my video signal gets sent to a 52 inch Samsung Series 6 HDTV via HDMI)

I'm one of a number of people who experience a severe sound crackling/popping/static burst affecting the digital sound output only when playing PS3 games, and I never have the problem during Blu-ray or DVD discs (BD and DVD audio is absolutely perfect).

I have confirmed that if I uncheck the Dolby Digital 5.1 box in my PS3's optical output options menu, which disables Dolby Digital 5.1 and switches the PS3 to only use Stereo sound, then the severe audio crackling glitch completely dissapears when Dolby Digital 5.1 is disabled.

Also, I have found that games which include support for DTS 5.1 (not to be confused with Dolby Digital 5.1) audio such as Dead Space, will work completely fine in DTS 5.1 surround without any crackling, only if I uncheck the Dolby Digital 5.1 box in my PS3's optical output options menu. If I leave both DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 boxes checked though, then Dead Space's audio starts to crackle again, presumably since the Dolby Digital 5.1 overrides the DTS 5.1 in signal priority if both boxes are checked.

So if I had to guess, it looks like maybe this PS3 sound glitch might be a glitch within the PS3's Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding during games. I imagine it's more likely to be a software glitch rather than a hardware failure, since the PS3's Dolby Digital 5.1 works perfectly fine without any glitches for all Blu-ray movies and DVD movies. Only PS3 games are affected. It may be the case that the PS3 uses a different method for Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding when playing games or movies, and the latter isn't affected by this software glitch (?). Either that or indeed my PS3 hardware is malfunctioning in some complex way.

Sony's support engineer can hopefully review this matter, and maybe find out what should be my next move. I have tried all combinations of settings changes that I can think of, but can't seem to fix this severe PS3 audio glitch. The effects of the glitch are worse in some game scenes than others, sometimes the sound glitch is subtle and possible to ignore the erratic crackling, while in other game scenes the bursts of static noise are so severe and frequent as to make the game unplayable in Dolby Digital 5.1. (The Conan game for PS3 seems particularly full of scenes which trigger this sound crackling issue when the Dolby Digital 5.1 box is checked in my PS3's optical output options menu.)

Also, anyone else who is experiencing such an issue (and I know you are out there, I've seen threads about this in other forums), please post your experiences and experiments here, maybe we can help point Sony's support engineers towards a root cause and possible fix for this. I have seen some folks with this problem have been speculating that maybe this is a symptom of when a PS3 console is overheating, and no longer being able to perform at peak efficiency, causing this audio glitch (?). Honestly, I have been considering whether to just go out and buy a new PS3 or AV receiver, but I don't want to buy new hardware unnecessarily and have the problem remain...

If this problem is firmware upgrade related, then somehow this problem should be communicated in detail to Sony, so they can start work on including a fix in a future firmware. The fact that they haven't fixed it to date suggests Sony are not aware of this glitch.

Please pass this on to Sony. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution
Yes i know what you are talking about,  I have the same trouble but it only seems to happen to me when i get to the last plant on ssdhd(ssdhd is dts), the sound just cracks up so bad that i have to quit the game ( never happend before  the 2.0 but got very bad after the 2.40 update) cause i dont want to damage my $3000 speakers..  but im running HDMI to my SONY full HDMI amp.  Dead space is fine for me, the only other game i get a slight drop out/crack is singstar, audio drops out about 3 times per song but only for a split second..  and my ps3 is a day 1  60gig to.. all bd and dvd work fine never have a problem with them..  And my HDMI xbox never cracks up on any game so that rules out the amp so it IS THE PS3......
0 Kudos

Re: Severe sound burst/crackling audio glitch during PS3 games

/16

dessy

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dessy
Accepted Solution

The only time I can recall having it is with Motorstorm - when I first started playing it (PS3 release) it was fine, but after a couple of weeks the crackling started. I cleaned the disc and it seemed to go away but came back a couple of weeks later. by then I wasn't playing Motorstorm so much so I didn't bother with a disc clean again. I haven't noticed it with other games,BluRay, video or music though.

I'm running Optical sound output...

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

blackwiggle

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blackwiggle
Accepted Solution

I've started to notice this problem just in the last few days when playing Wipeout HD,it's a downloaded game so that rules game disc problems out.

So by eliminating that,it only leaves the hard drive....it could be that since the same sectors of the hard drive are being repeatedly read it is some how creating HD reading errors,most likely manifesting itself by dropping bits in the audio stream....hence the crackling .

0 Kudos

/16

pogobull

63%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pogobull
Accepted Solution

yeah to good a when your getting right into a game ,super LOUD and then ,what the f%&k  is that noise. really bad crackling.

0 Kudos

/16

xEvoLveDx

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xEvoLveDx
Accepted Solution

FINALLY fixed my problem... for me it's on a game by game basis.  On motorstorm PR i was getting it real back when lots of cars were around and i was using boost.  Turns out some games just have the in-game volumes turned up too much (too much gain).  All I had to do was turn down the in-game volume (to very low levels) and all my crackling noises went away with dolby digital 5.1!  Problem solved.  So happy

0 Kudos

/16

dagreekgod

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dagreekgod
Accepted Solution

I have been having this problem since I bought my PS3, so I took it back and got a new one, but still the same. I have had it from both games and BluRay movies, runninig the sound directly to my tv using HDMI. I have tried 2 HDMI cables that both played up, but everything was fine when i tried the RCA cables.

0 Kudos

/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution
its happen more now and its really starting to drive me up the wall... got a few new games and its happening to them to, motorstorm PR, mirrows edge, dead space, super star dust...... R2 , lbp and GH-WT are all fine...  Come on sony what is happening????  this is a big problem, needs a fix ASAP...
0 Kudos

/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sektanz
Accepted Solution
This is a long shot mate, but have you tried bitstreaming the audio via HDMI rather than linear PCM? (Or vice versa). It'd be one more thing to eliminate if nothing else.
Message Edited by sektanz on 02-12-2008 12:32 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution
Yes have tryed everthing.. but whats the point of having all the new stuff and only run it at low spec's, whould you buy a 1080p tv and only run it at 576i ? I dont think so....
0 Kudos

/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sektanz
Accepted Solution

There's no difference in audio quality between bitstream and linear pcm. It's just with bitstreaming the receiver does the audio decoding rather than the PS3. The only thing that you can't bitstream is the HD audio formats, but they are few and far between on bluray movies at the moment so it's not really an issue.

0 Kudos

/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution
every Bd movie i have (20+) has HD audio, you dont know much about that i can see.. and its still happing when i bitstream it anyway...thanx anyway mate... Ive had this set up for about 18 months and its only started after a update about 4 months ago...
0 Kudos

/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sektanz
Accepted Solution

AtomicJet wrote:
every Bd movie i have (20+) has HD audio, you dont know much about that i can see.. and its still happing when i bitstream it anyway...thanx anyway mate... Ive had this set up for about 18 months and its only started after a update about 4 months ago...
Well out of the twenty odd bluray movies I've watched only 3 or 4 have had the HD audio formats (DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, PCM). Most are still DTS 5.1 or Dolby 5.1.
I'm sorry you're having issues with your audio, but try not to be so condescending to someone who was merely trying to assist with your problem next time.

0 Kudos

/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution
I said thanx for you help anyway,  but next time your in the BD section have a look at the back of the moives you will find 95% have hd audio, only old moives dont have HD audio.. full metal jacket etc...
0 Kudos

/16

Psyvariar

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Psyvariar
Accepted Solution

I'm starting to think my problem may be a result of a possibly malfunctioning Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder within my AV receiver (although as noted earlier the DTS 5.1 is still perfectly fine, and DD 5.1 during movie playback is also fine).

It's theoretically possible that the way the PS3 delivers dynamic Dolby Digital 5.1 for games, is different to the way it is pushing out a constant Dolby Digital 5.1 signal during BD/DVD playback, and my aging AV receiver may be intermittently malfunctioning when processing the former type of signal but not the latter.

The reason I am now starting to suspect the AV receiver as the cause, is because the receiver has started intermittently malfunctioning in other ways lately, like temporarily dropping some channels after extended use.

I am going to look into buying a new AV receiver in the coming months, and hopefully that will resolve the issue. (I'll report back here either way, for the benefit of others experiencing similar problems.) 

0 Kudos

/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution
I dont think its your amp.its happening with my sony 7.1 hdmi amp thats not to old.  so I called sony ( not playstation ) about the problem and they said that if movies BD, DVD are fine and its only happening with some games that it has to be the ps3.

Just thinking about your problem, if you say that when you uncheck dd 5.1 and play dead space which is dts your problem is gone, makes me think that the playstation is trying to decode the dts on the disc with dolby dig and its not working 100% right. thats only a stab in the dark..

My biggest problem is in superstar dust, playing co-op get to the last phase of the last planet and as soon as the boss comes down the sound just cracks up really bad, can play all the way to there without a problem, i think it has started before that once or twice but happens every time on that boss.

motorstrom PR, it seems to only crack up when i land a jump. other games its happening to im not to sure what sounds are making it do it but will play them to see if i can work out what im doing at the time.

I can play super audio cd's at 5.1 @ 176.4 Khz with no problem, upsample normal cd's to 2 channal @176.4Khz still fine, BD movies at 6Mbps stiil fine.. some games are perfect to..  its a very werd problem..must be the ps3..
0 Kudos

/16

sweetasman01

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sweetasman01
Accepted Solution
It not your AMP its your samsung tv they need to replace a chip inside it.
0 Kudos

/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution

sweetasman01 wrote:
It not your AMP its your samsung tv they need to replace a chip inside it.

How can it be the tv when there is no sound going to the tv at all, did you read how he has his set up??

It did it to me on gh-wt last night at the very start of the game after about 1min of having the ps3 on so it carnt be over heating, im starting to think its the sound card in the ps3, or cell. 

0 Kudos

/16

raygeejay

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
raygeejay
Accepted Solution

Psyvariar wrote:

I have a 60GB Australian PAL launch PS3. I have been experiencing a severe audio crackling glitch with my PS3.

I have my PS3 audio hooked up to a Sony brand Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 supporting AV system (model MHC-DP800AV), using optical audio connection. (my video signal gets sent to a 52 inch Samsung Series 6 HDTV via HDMI)

I'm one of a number of people who experience a severe sound crackling/popping/static burst affecting the digital sound output only when playing PS3 games, and I never have the problem during Blu-ray or DVD discs (BD and DVD audio is absolutely perfect).

Yeah i've got a similar setup - 60GB launch PS3, HDMI to Sony Bravia television and optical out to a Sony receiver.

The crackling is very noticeable in my centre and rears during Wipeout HD & Motorstorm Pacific Rift. It happens at low or high volumes, but strangely enough when I turned UP the volume on Wipeout HD the crackling all but dissappeared. When I output stereo sound via HDMI to my TV there is no problem either.

Also wanted to confirm DVD & Blu-Ray works fine in Dolby or DTS at any volume so IMO that all but rules out the receiver or speakers. I hope there is a fix found soon...

0 Kudos

Re: Severe sound burst/crackling audio glitch during PS3 games, but perfect audio during BD/DVD movi

/16

RootsGeneral

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RootsGeneral
Accepted Solution
same thing for me, just got a brand new ps3 this week after sending in my old one that broke after the last update.  Well I was watching a dvd and went to play some music after and the next thing I know the audio is crackling???  I immediately switched hdmi cables and same thing was happening, so i knew it was my tv or my ps3 not my surround sound system.  What I did to fix mine was take a digital cable and use that for the sound settings, so now I have a hdmi cable for picture and digital cable for sound seems to have fixed the problem for me.
0 Kudos

Re: Severe sound burst/crackling audio glitch during PS3 games, but perfect audio during BD/DVD movi

/16

Rossa_AU

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rossa_AU
Accepted Solution
Yea i have this problem as well....but the weird thing is it only happens in The Orange Box......nothing else :S
0 Kudos

~~~~~
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel