Support

Support PS3

Support PS3

21 Nov 2012
By: frankiic

2 Posts

UPDATING HARD DRIVE FOR PS3 SLIM .

1 Reply 597 Views Created 21-11-2012

DOES ANY ONE HAVE A LIST OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPDATING THE PS3 SLIM HARD DRIVE .

LIKE A WALKTHROUGH ! HeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEELLLPP !!    I bought a new bigger hard drive the same as the brand in it and i need a step by step instructions on how to change them around with all the data transfer etc.  I will be forever thankful !!!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 2 (597 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: UPDATING HARD DRIVE FOR PS3 SLIM .

It's in the booklet you got with your PS3. If you don't have your booklet any more you download it from here: http://au.playstation.com/ps3/support/manuals/?ct=HardwareInstructionManual

There are subtle differences between each model number (mostly about how to get the hard disk drive out) so find the manual that matches your model number.

The procedure is fairly straight forward:

1. Read the manual.
  2. Have you read the manual?
  3. Do a full backup of your PS3 to an external hard disk drive formatted to FAT32 (takes many hours).
  4. Deactivate your PS3
  5. Use a PC download the latest PS3 firmware to a USB stick in a folder  \PS3\UPDATE
  6. Turn off the PS3 and unplug the power
  7. Replace hard disk drive
  8. Turn on PS3.
  9. The new drive will be formatted and you will be promtped to insert the usb stick contain the firmware.
  10. Do a full restore from the external USB hard drive.

tips:

• Do NOT format the old hard disk drive until you are sure the new one is working. You should keep the old hard drive to put back in the PS3 if you ever need to send it in for servicing.
  • Make sure you have a small Philips head (cross head) screwdriver that fits the screws. If you don't have one buy one. A screw driver is much cheaper than a new hard disk drive.
  • Don't work on your lap. Work on a table. When you turn the PS3 over to take the screws out, place it on a cushion or soft cloth. Put the screws in a small container or bowl.
  • Before handling the hard drive, ground yourself to a large, conductive object to discharge static electricity.

There are many threads about this already. Do a search.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 2 (585 Views)
0 Kudos