10 Sep 2011
By Ares_D1

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Unable to get 1080i through component cables

[ Edited ]
13 Replies 2,567 Views edited 10-09-2011

I'm trying to set up my Hauppauge HD PVR in order to record gameplay. Before doing this however I'm required to set up the PS3 to play at 1080i through component cables (I've been using HDMI up to this point). I can play through the component cables just fine but at poor resolution, and it seems I'm unable to set up the PS3 to play at 1080i, despite the fact that I know my tv (http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GE6163/)  supports it. When I go to change the settings to 1080i in the PS3 menu I just get the blank screen before returning to the 'Select your resolution' screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (2,567 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Unable to get 1080i through component cables

Are you sure your TV (of a brand I have never heard of, which is a warning sign for me) can handle HD resolutions via component cables? They may have cheaped out, assuming everybody would be using HDMI these days, and only supported SD resolutions on component connections.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (2,552 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Generally component cables don't support HD. I think your problem starts here.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (2,532 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Component cables support HD, but are you sure you don't mean composite? Component have 5 RCA plugs green, blue + red (video), then red + white (audio). Composite on the other hand have 3 RCA plugs, yellow (video) and red + white (audio). Composite doesn't allow for HD signals.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (2,523 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I suspect Renze has it right. The manual only mentions HD support for the HDMI connection. Probably it is more expensive, electronics-wise, to get the HD resolution on the TV by component cable. You wonder why they even bother having those connections if that's the case though.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (2,518 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

TEABAGNEMESIS wrote:

Component cables support HD, but are you sure you don't mean composite? Component have 5 RCA plugs green, blue + red (video), then red + white (audio). Composite on the other hand have 3 RCA plugs, yellow (video) and red + white (audio). Composite doesn't allow for HD signals.

My mistake, you are entirely correct. I had been trying to run my PS3 at 1080i through composite cables (Yellow/Red/White), not component cables. So, last night I went to the store and purchased a set of component cables (http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Component-Wii-Playstation-connects-Nintendo/dp/B000IAPGIS) to fix the problem.

I just attempted to hook them all up a few minutes ago and... nothing. Obviously the RCA jacks are all colour-coded, so you would think the process would be pretty straight forward. Insert end of component cable into PS3.... Insert Blue/Green/Red + Red/White ends into corresponding inputs on tv.... Nothing. When I go to select 'Component/D-Terminal' in the PS3 video output settings, I get a blank screen everytime before I am again asked to select another connector.

At this point, I have absolutely no idea what the issue is and I'm getting rather frustrated, to be quite frank.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (2,493 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Ares_D1 wrote:
 When I go to select 'Component/D-Terminal' in the PS3 video output settings, I get a blank screen everytime before I am again asked to select another connector.

If the screen goes blank, it means it is now outputting via the selected output method.

You may need to change the channel / source on the TV to the new output (within 30 seconds) else it will change back.

Let us know how you go.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (2,478 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Sweet, we're getting closer then buddy... I'm having a stab here, but maybe try having both the HDMI + component cables hooked up at the same time. I'm guessing this is what you have tried already though, so maybe you got a dud cable, but here's the process anyway:

While using your normal (HDMI) setup, go into display settings on your PS3. Select the component/D Terminal output, tick the boxes for the resolutions (all except for 1080p), then select yes to use that display. Then grab your remote for the tv, press the 'source' button, and scroll down to YP BP R 1 or 2 (obviously whichever you have it connected to... :smileytongue:), and press 'ok'. BTW, I'm writing all this from several open tabs, so I may have a step in the wrong order somewhere, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Keep in mind there's every chance that Rob + Renze are right too - they're a couple of smart cookies those two. To that end, if you have no luck, try only enabling 576p display on component, and add higher resolutions from there.

Best of luck, hope you get it this time :smileyhappy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (2,469 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

stupidbunnysuit wrote:

If the screen goes blank, it means it is now outputting via the selected output method.

You may need to change the channel / source on the TV to the new output (within 30 seconds) else it will change back.

Let us know how you go.

This actually worked! Wasn't aware that I had to change the source right away, as I thought I would recieve some sort of confirmation message first. Way to make me feel like an absolute tech-noob lol.

But seriously, thank you so much to everyone who helped me out. Very helpful bunch you lot :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (2,460 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

im still getting no sigal on my componet channal iv connected every think and all i get is 30 sec of a blank screen the gos to hdmi and its there again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (2,324 Views)
0 Kudos