Support

Support PS4

Support PS4

08 Dec 2013
By: Renze Award Winner 5116 Posts
Level 6

Blu-rays that won't play on the PS4

6 Replies 1020 Views Created 08-12-2013

I haven't gone through every disc I own yet, but I've found one that won't play. Feel free to add any other titles you find that won't play to this thread. Mods, could you please pass on this information to the appropriate people. Thanks.

Title: Star Trek Into Darkness

Code: AUPBD3974A

Symptoms: Gets stuck on Title 2 and won't progress any further. Nothing is ever displayed. Skipping chapters/titles is disabled at this point.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (1,020 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Blu-rays that won't play on the PS4

I had the same problem with this disc, and one other new release playing back on the PS3, it might of been World War Z or the last Wolverine

It seems it is some sort of Cinavia like verification code that is needed for playback via a PS3 [suspect the PS4 as well] , this only seems to become available once a store update download has been done to your console, or at least conection via the internet so the disc can verify it's not a copy.

Problem is, depending how long since you visited the store, is if the PS3/PS4 will think your console hasn't got the latest update, as it doesn't always ask you to wait while it downloads updates till you can enter the store.

Try it again, but make sure you are connected online before loading.

It should search for the movie site to verify that it is a original disc and allow playback.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (931 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

[ Edited ]

I'm always online. I checked again after the 1.52 update, and the same thing happens. Every other blu-ray I have tried to date has worked, just not Star Trek Into Darkness. For the record, it works fine on my PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (926 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

In most BD packaging you get annotation that players should have latest update. Blu-Rays ' title screens are more software than DVDs' ever were (and even some DVDs had issues with certain players). With that, comes risk of incompatibilities. I'm sure future PS4 updates will address these problems.

A thread like this can be valuable to people like Sony, as common failures can be identified, and solutions implemented.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (900 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

UPDATE: As an experiment, I put the Star Trek Into Darkness disc in and let it sit there for a while. After a couple of minutes, it jumped to Title 57, and sat there for a further few minutes. Then it jumped to Title 3 for several minutes of black screen, then it finally played the publisher video and showed the language select screen. After that, several more minutes of black screen while it sat on Title 1, Chapter 3 before finally showing the Starfleet logo animation and going to the menu. I am now watching the movie after about 10-12 minutes of waiting.

They say patience is a virtue, but hopefully I won't have to sit through this every time I want to watch this movie. :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (882 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

VERY INTERESTING !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM

It would seem from your reports and others, that some correlation of usage practises [Using a previously  verified copy of a Bluray movie on a PS3], that it's usage is obviously being tracked by Sony.

This PSN info logged into the system is lagging when trying to use the same disc in the new PS4 under the same user name, hence it won't work until user info is updated to the new [PS4} console to allow playback.

I don't know about Big Brother, but SONY is definitely watching [recording ] your every move

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (797 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

For the record, none of my other Blu-ray discs have lagged, only this one. Why would they track people who watch one film?

I have a nice shiny tinfoil hat for you. Want it? :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (794 Views)
0 Kudos