60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

802.11N on PS3 ??

34 Replies 127,265 Views Created 27-01-2010

Its probably been asked a thousand times, but has anyone successfully added a new wifi card 802.11n to a ps3, or used an ethernet to wifi bridge 802.11n ? or is it even possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

PAPO1990

• Beta Tester
87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PAPO1990
Accepted Solution

actually no one has asked that before but I can say that changing the wifi card would not work and I have no idea about the wifi bridge

0 Kudos

Re: 802.11N on PS3 ??

Walking Under Stars
/16

gelfyone

58%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gelfyone
Accepted Solution

I have a D-Link DAP-1522 set in bridge mode and connected with ethernet (wired) to the ps3 in the lounge, works well and is easy to set up (well for me anyway) it has gigabit lan ability also which makes lan sessions rock with its 4 port router. Now all I want is adsl2+.

BTW it cost me about $170 at Harvey Norman, online it prices from $150 to $220.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

I wonder why a simple access point is so expensive compared to a router?

Remember to use WPA2/AES to get the greatest speed benefits of an 802.11n connection.

If you have the skills and permission to put holes in the wall I would run a cable. It's cheaper and better (as long as you already have a gigabit router).

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

PlayB3yondCell

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PlayB3yondCell
Accepted Solution

Conwayboys wrote:

Its probably been asked a thousand times, but has anyone successfully added a new wifi card 802.11n to a ps3, or used an ethernet to wifi bridge 802.11n ? or is it even possible.

Thanks

No PS3's (Slim or Phat) include support for WiFi N (draft or final) support at all.  It only works on B/G and I believe this is one of the biggest oversights on the PS3 Slim as the WiFi module was not upgraded to support 802.11n.  Hence, if you use an Apple Airport Extreme or any other router, you cannot set it to 802.11N only, it must be 802.11n (b/g backwards compatible), so that it N devices can work and the PS3 can work as well without any issues.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Correct but you have not read the whole thread. The OP is wondering about connecting a wireless N access point via ethernet cable to the PS3 in order to obtain a faster wireless connection.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
/16

raffieltiger

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
raffieltiger
Accepted Solution

Even if you run a cable from a Wifi N access point, it won't make any noticeable difference compared to a 10/100 access point, because you can't transmit data faster than your internet's line capacity.

I run my ps3 through a Cat 6 cable connected to a bridged modem / router combo (the router is Wifi N), and there's no way I can benefit from the extra speed, unless I wanted to play LAN games all the time (the only thing it makes a difference on).

Hardwired is the way to go, but you don't need to spend extra money on something you can't use / don't need, because it won't make it any better or faster than what it is capable of.

Find a cheap 10/100 router with Wifi b/g and you're set.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

raffieltiger wrote:
and there's no way I can benefit from the extra speed, unless I wanted to play LAN games all the time (the only thing it makes a difference on).

A faster LAN is also beneficial for streaming media from a local PC. Particularly if you're streaming HD video.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
/16

raffieltiger

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
raffieltiger
Accepted Solution

RandAPle4 wrote:

raffieltiger wrote:
and there's no way I can benefit from the extra speed, unless I wanted to play LAN games all the time (the only thing it makes a difference on).

A faster LAN is also beneficial for streaming media from a local PC. Particularly if you're streaming HD video.

True but essentially videos are watchable before they get to HD quality.

0 Kudos

/16

xPATCHx

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xPATCHx
Accepted Solution

Just some quick numbers to make sure everyone understands whats being discussed (and support endodevol's claim that wireless n is severely overated :No-no: ).

Your home network will likely be made up of computers (and PS3) connected together at the following speeds.

"normal" Cat 5 cables, "10/100 router"  = 100 Mb/s

"gigabit" Cat5e or cat6 cable, gigabit router = 1000 Mb/s

"wireless g" (or wireless b) = MAX** = 54Mb/s

"wireless n" = MAX ** = 300Mb/s

wow so wireless n is better than 10/100 you might say.... No I say, even though it is rated for 300 Mb/s you would need a 3x3 mimo unit (both in the router and client card) to achieve this, and even then for wireless transmissions you basically need to halve their stated transmission rates when using them in real life, due to wireless encryption, and extra checks to see that the wireless packets actually got delivered to the client and vice versa. So in the real world

"wireless g" = ~15Mb/s

"wireless n" = ~70Mb/s

OK. So now we can see a HUGE difference in speeds, surely a gigabit connection means I can surf the web nearly 200x faster than wireless g...!

UMMM NO.:Stupid: First you need to get the internets into the router....

ADSL2+ maximum throughput (as in if you live next door to the nearest exchange) = 24Mb/s

Australian average ADSL2+ speed = 5.52 Mb/s

In other words, no matter what your connection is to the PS3 - bit it wired or wireless, YOUR ROUTER'S INTERNET CONNECTION WILL BE SLOWER*, and you will see zero difference in internet actual speeds (reliability will increase with a wired connection however as you will have less dropped packets)

*(unless you have some expensive cable connection :) )

Hope that helps!

The only advantage in having anything more than wireless g is for media streaming on your local network, in which case the PS3 has gigabit, which is at least a fator of 10 better than any of the others, so you should use that, period. 

Remember even old cat 5 10/100 which has been around for 15+ years is faster and more reliable than wireless n. It is too easy these days for people to throw around the term wireless n and 300Mb/s and end consumers end up believing all the figures as if they are gospel.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

xPATCHx

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xPATCHx
Accepted Solution

Also please note that Mb/s means Megabit, or 1 million BITS per second.

since there are 8 bits in a byte this means 1 Mb/s = 1/8 million bytes per second = 0.125 million bytes per second.

Also due to 1024 bytes = 1 Mega byte, and 1024 Megabytes = 1 KB

1 Mb/s actually = (1/8*1.024*1.024) = 0.131 MB/s (megabytes per second, *note the capital B)

So to give numbers which actually mean something to you in real life data transfer speeds

10/100           = 13 MB/s
gigabit           = 131 MB/s
wireless g    = ~1.9 MB/s
wirless n      = ~9.17 MB/s

ADSL2+ (aus average) = 723 KB/s

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CloudedJudgement
Accepted Solution

I'm suprised that none of you have covered the fact that 802.11N Has about 5 times the range of G. My G connection signal drops out after about 30 feet, however I have my N working at full strength in my garage which is over 65feet away from the device.'

0 Kudos

/16

Maverick-John

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Maverick-John
Accepted Solution

xPATCHx wrote:

Also due to 1024 bytes = 1 Mega byte, and 1024 Megabytes = 1 KB

Heheh most your info was right bar this line. 1024 bytes = 1KB and then 1024 KB = 1 MB

But on a 5ghz range the speed can reach its maximum potential of 300mbps. I have transferred files accross at that speed. Also noting the internet speed in NSW has a potential of 100mbps so a wireless N maybe more feasible than a hardwired cat5. I have not personally tried the bridge since i hardwire my consoloes for stability but i dont think there should be a problem. the speeds should be gained simply from the clarity of the increased range.

0 Kudos

photo mystic_sig_zps1205e126.jpg
/16

blueback22

92%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blueback22
Accepted Solution

It't actually pretty easy to get your PS3 set up on Wireless N. Netgear has a "Universal WiFi Internet Adapter" that you can use to accomplish this. Basically it's an external wireless card that connect via ethernet and doesn't require any drivers to install. 

Netgear model # WNCE2001

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Yeah basically a wireless access point. At least the price is getting better for such things.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
/16

aus_Dyn

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aus_Dyn
Accepted Solution

@xPATCHx: You're like a plague of misinformation. This whole topic is about wireless home networking. People don't like running cat5e/6 cables all around their home - but obviously it's faster. 802.11n is amazing compared to 802.11g. If you're only getting 70Mbit/s on a 802.11n network then I think it's time you call someone who has a clue. Being a 12 year old playstation gamer doesn't make you an IT expert. And in fact 802.11n can get up to 600Mbit/s.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
I take issue with the need to have a completely wired connection for stable media serverering. I have my ps3 wired by my laptop sending media over a wireless n router. I can stream full HD video. Not lossless quality but still full scale.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Don't take it  personally, Smoke :)

Unfortunately most people need the wireless to go from their router to their PS3 due to the fact that builders almost never put phone sockets near TV sockets. I mean they put 7 phone sockets all over our house but not one shares a wall with the TV socket! I finaly bit the bullet and ran cat6 to all the relevent places in my house.

Then I found these online:

http://www.billion.com/product/home-networking/BiPAC2073R2-HomePlug-AV-200-Adapter.html

to run 200mb ethernet over your home's power cabling (only I don't know if you can get them in Aus)

and this

a wireless N access point that plugs into your wall socket and retails for about $80.50

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

regards
Rob
Beta Tester
/16

TEABAGNEMESIS

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TEABAGNEMESIS
Accepted Solution

Yeah /\ /\ those things are pretty cool. We had similar network over power adapters when we had foxtel installed, I think they were just for the phone line though. I've got them around here, somewhere...

Oh, and:

aus_Dyn wrote:

@xPATCHx: You're like a plague of misinformation.

saying this and quoting wikipedia in the same paragraph is a bit rich isn't it?

aus_Dyn wrote:

If you're only getting 70Mbit/s on a 802.11n network then I think it's time you call someone who has a clue. Being a 12 year old playstation gamer doesn't make you an IT expert. And in fact 802.11n can get up to 600Mbit/s.

802.11n is theoretically capable of 300Mbits, yet anyone "with a clue" will be able to tell you that it is usually significantly less than this. Obviously some people can get higher than others, but if there is alot of interference in a given location, no matter how many know-it-alls you can muster up, it really doesn't count for jack. 802.11n can simultaneously transmit to separate devices over 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz frequencies at 300Mbits. 2 x 300 = 600

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
/16

xPATCHx

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xPATCHx
Accepted Solution

aus_Dyn wrote:

And in fact 802.11n can get up to 600Mbit/s.

Sigh....

Please visit the following, browse their comprehensive tests and benchmarks, and learn about the difference between theory and that place we call real life.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_wireless&Itemid=&chart=81

(also you really shouldn't start a sentence with the word and.... even if you capitalise it)

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

In fact you really shouldn't start your first ever post with an insult.

(btw That link doesn't lead me anywhere, PATCH)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

regards
Rob
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel