27 Jan 2010
Playstation Staff

802.11N on PS3 ??

34 Replies 119,790 Views Created 27-01-2010

Its probably been asked a thousand times, but has anyone successfully added a new wifi card 802.11n to a ps3, or used an ethernet to wifi bridge 802.11n ? or is it even possible.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 35 (119,790 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: 802.11N on PS3 ??

actually no one has asked that before but I can say that changing the wifi card would not work and I have no idea about the wifi bridge

Walking Under Stars
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 35 (119,709 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have a D-Link DAP-1522 set in bridge mode and connected with ethernet (wired) to the ps3 in the lounge, works well and is easy to set up (well for me anyway) it has gigabit lan ability also which makes lan sessions rock with its 4 port router. Now all I want is adsl2+.

BTW it cost me about $170 at Harvey Norman, online it prices from $150 to $220.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 35 (119,686 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I wonder why a simple access point is so expensive compared to a router?

Remember to use WPA2/AES to get the greatest speed benefits of an 802.11n connection.

If you have the skills and permission to put holes in the wall I would run a cable. It's cheaper and better (as long as you already have a gigabit router).

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 35 (119,659 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Conwayboys wrote:

Its probably been asked a thousand times, but has anyone successfully added a new wifi card 802.11n to a ps3, or used an ethernet to wifi bridge 802.11n ? or is it even possible.

Thanks

No PS3's (Slim or Phat) include support for WiFi N (draft or final) support at all.  It only works on B/G and I believe this is one of the biggest oversights on the PS3 Slim as the WiFi module was not upgraded to support 802.11n.  Hence, if you use an Apple Airport Extreme or any other router, you cannot set it to 802.11N only, it must be 802.11n (b/g backwards compatible), so that it N devices can work and the PS3 can work as well without any issues.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 35 (120,395 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Correct but you have not read the whole thread. The OP is wondering about connecting a wireless N access point via ethernet cable to the PS3 in order to obtain a faster wireless connection.

regards
Rob
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 35 (120,380 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Even if you run a cable from a Wifi N access point, it won't make any noticeable difference compared to a 10/100 access point, because you can't transmit data faster than your internet's line capacity.

I run my ps3 through a Cat 6 cable connected to a bridged modem / router combo (the router is Wifi N), and there's no way I can benefit from the extra speed, unless I wanted to play LAN games all the time (the only thing it makes a difference on).

Hardwired is the way to go, but you don't need to spend extra money on something you can't use / don't need, because it won't make it any better or faster than what it is capable of.

Find a cheap 10/100 router with Wifi b/g and you're set.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 35 (119,670 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

raffieltiger wrote:
and there's no way I can benefit from the extra speed, unless I wanted to play LAN games all the time (the only thing it makes a difference on).

A faster LAN is also beneficial for streaming media from a local PC. Particularly if you're streaming HD video.

regards
Rob
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 35 (119,656 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Im on ADSL 1 and I had an old Dlink wireless access point connected to my Belkin router which produced speeds of 2-3 Mbps wirelessly to the PS3.

After replacing it with a DLINK Xtreme N Multi Wireless (DAP-1522) I found the speed tests performed via the PS3 browser greatly improved. Now getting 6 Mbps... even though the PS3 is not utilizing the 'N' capability this works just fine. HD streaming is now running smoothly too.. 

imo. wireless N = overated :No-no:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 35 (119,666 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

enodevol wrote:

Im on ADSL 1 and I had an old Dlink wireless access point connected to my Belkin router which produced speeds of 2-3 Mbps wirelessly to the PS3.

After replacing it with a DLINK Xtreme N Multi Wireless (DAP-1522) I found the speed tests performed via the PS3 browser greatly improved. Now getting 6 Mbps... even though the PS3 is not utilizing the 'N' capability this works just fine. HD streaming is now running smoothly too.. 

imo. wireless N = overated :No-no:

In some cases, you will notice a speed difference between brands.

Wireless N would be useful if they upgraded the wifi module, but I think it's the brand that's making the difference, as I have had horrible experiences with Belkin stuff, but only experienced good things with D-link (also using a Wifi N model router).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 35 (119,649 Views)
0 Kudos