15 Dec 2010
Playstation Staff

Please Help! PS3 NAT Type Failed?

20 Replies 37,920 Views Created 15-12-2010

Please Help! PS3 NAT Type Failed?

Hello Everyone;

This seems to be a very frquent problem with PlayStation 3's, The "NAT type" either fails or is set to 3. Mine however has never been 1, 2 or 3. It's always been "failed" I have searched many forums and websites looking for walkthroughs,guides and tips on how to fix the problem but none of their soloutions have helped.

What I've done so far:
I've forwarded the recommended ports
I have also set the PS3's IP address to DMZ
I've rebooted my PS3's system completely
I have also completely reset my router, and reforwarded the required ports and such.

Without NAT I am unable to access the online features of games but I am still able to access the PSN HOME, the internet and I am also able to add friends, send messages and all that kind of stuff.

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated, Cheers.
Bronson :smileyhappy:

Additional Details

Router Details:
Type: Wireless ADSL Router
Brand: D-LINK
Model: DSL-2740B
Please use plain text.
2 Kudos
Message 1 of 21 (37,920 Views)
2 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Please Help! PS3 NAT Type Failed?

80130203 - PS3 connects to internet but not to network - Typically means that the required ports are not open to connect to store but PS3 can connect to internet.
What does this mean?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21 (37,906 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

the manual: ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2740B/Manuals/DSL-2740B_C3_Manual_1.00.pdf

You will not get a NAT type if you set up your PS3 in a DMZ or set Port forwarding. NAT isn't required in that case. NAT simply sorts out where network trafiic is meant to go when you have several devices in your home but only one IP address on the internet. DMZ and port forwarding do a similar thing in a different way. You also won't get (or require) NAT when your PS3 is the only device (eg with a modem that has a single ethernet port)

The manual mentions enabling NAT (page 35)

The manual doesn't mention uPNP. Is it Availble when you do an Internet Connection Test on the PS3?

The description of the firmware http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-2740B seems to think it is a feature.

Have you tried upgrading the firmware?

uPNP available and NAT type 2 is the ideal result you're after.

PS well done putting the modem/router brand and model up first time :smileyhappy:

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21 (37,896 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Alrighty, Thanks for your post mate I totally forgot that routers had manuals because I was thinking that the problem was the PS3 becaue my Wii and XBOX 360 both work fine with my Router, I got the latest firmware update and I also had NAT enabled all along but nothing has really changed.

Is there any other ideas or soloutions for this issue or should I contact support via telephone. I'm not sure if they accept calls from 15 year olds though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (37,885 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

lol.

No idea. What do you get from an internet connection test anyway?

regards
Rob
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21 (37,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Everything Says Succeeded and UPnP is available every time, but sometimes when I check it in the status it says unavailable (if that means anything) The connection test stops at NAT Type and says "failed" then shows that error code I mentioned earlier.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (37,844 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Are you using the Easy setup option for your PS3 network settings?

Remove all port forwarding and DMZ on the router (in relation to the PS3 at least).

regards
Rob
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (37,783 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I have actually tried setting my PS3's IP address and all that so I could put it into a DMZ and I have also tried the "Easy" setup. I've done it with wireless and with an ethernet cable neither have had any success.

I'm not sure what it'd accomplish by removing the ports I forwarded and removing the PS3 from the DMZ because everythings always been the same (on the internet statistics for the PS3) it's always been like:

IP: Succeeded

Internet: Succeeded

PSN: Succeeded

UPnP: Available

NAT type: Failed

Through everything I've done it's never actually altered, I'd be quite happy just to have NAT 3 I really don't care on the quality I just want to play uncharted 2, MW2 and such. I can however play need for speed SHIFT online. So it's only some games, but I'm unsure what determines which games need the NAT to be available and which games don't.

Edit I recieved this information from an external source:

Dmz is separate to port forwarding.
If in dmz then all ports are forwarded.
That configuration should always work.
I suggest trying his ps3 at someone elses house.
Then u can say if ps3 or network.
Due to this I think that the ports is completely irrelevant to my issue. Would that mean that I will need to call up Sony or my ISP and ask for some help?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (37,773 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

As I said NAT is only to allow several devices (PCs, consoles, refrigerators!)

to connect to a single IP address (your Internet connection)

No games need NAT.

The reason I advised removing port forwarding is because port forwarding will override any upnp capabilities of your router. In theory putting your ps3 in DMZ should solve all your problems but unfortunately the Internet is not that simple.

I advised using easy setup with no DMZ or port forwarding because these features are not compatible.

There is no way that you will get more than one device (PS3 or Xbox or Wii) without upnp

Easy setup is designed to let your router do all of the configuration for you.

As your link says DMZ overrides all port forwarding.

So it does. But it isn't working is it?

NAT does not apply when you use DMZ.You will not see NAT available when you put your PS3 in DMZ.

So the external source is correct.

I am suggesting removing all port forwarding and DMZ so that you can start with a clean slate.

NAT = Network Adress Translation. On the internet you have one address from your ISP but in your home you have several. Your router uses NAT to direct internet trafffic to the the device that asked for it on your home network. Do you see? DMZ bypasses this process. So does port forwarding. Obviously it is not working in your case.

Start with the basics. No port forwarding, No DMZ. Easy setup on your PS3.

And then take it from there.

regards
Rob
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (37,742 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I think that some games must require NAT because I did as you said (removed all the ports and such) then I went to Uncharted 2 multiplayer and it said that it couldn't connect, please check that you have NAT type 1 to or 3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21 (37,715 Views)
0 Kudos