Support

Support

Support

18 Jul 2012
By: imperial_99 Member 29 Posts
Level 1

Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found.

48 Replies 18484 Views Created 18-07-2012

Hope someone can help me.

I had a 40gig Fat PS3 with a 500gig Western Digital HDD installed (by myself) and the old girl kept over heating so I went and bought a new 120gig slim thinking I could change the HDD for the 500gig out of the old one but now it comes up with "Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found."

I had backed up the HDD before I took it from the old PS3 and I've downloaded the update to a usb stick (separate from the back-up data).

When I put the 120gig HDD back in it works as normal but for some reason I cant get the anything to happen with the 500gig HDD.

Any help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 49 (18,484 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found.

Hi imperial_99,

By the sounds of the error you are getting, the console is not picking up your hard drive.

Can you confirm that you have pushed it all the way into the console?  Sometimes when putting a hard drive into a console its pushed in but not quite all the way.

Also is there any chance you can connect that 500gig HD up to your computer to see if its corrupt?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 49 (18,480 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Yeah, I checked that it was pushed all the way in. I even swapped them over a couple of times. I'm not really that computer savvy and I'm not sure how to connect it to the computer to check it, it was working great in the fat system.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 49 (18,478 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

You won't be able to tell if the 500g hdd is corrupt on a computer because no computer can read the filesystem.

Windows will ask if you want to format the drive unless it isn't working at all.

Hard drives don't last forever, though. Can you tell if it's spinning?

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 49 (18,462 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I haven't noticed wether it's spinning or not, I'll have a look tonight. It was working fine and it's only 12 months old.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 49 (18,450 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

It definitely spins.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 49 (18,393 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Hi there imperial_99

If you have taken a HDD from another console, and put it into a new console, the console automatically formats the HDD.

If the HDD is not recognised it could be because you have not yet uploaded the system software onto the HDD.

Can you please try installing the system software onto the HDD??

If that does not work

Call us here at PlayStation support

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 49 (18,390 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

[ Edited ]

There is no way to install the system software onto the drive......in this case :smileyhappy:

This happened to me when I tried to do the EXACT same thing, and I was at my wits end as to a fix, mine was a Western Digital WD5000BEVT

It could be one of two things, one of them being a Jumper Block, which is located on the pins that connect the drive, simply remove it (if it has one)

These pics below aren't the same type of drives, but at least you know what to look for, just a tiny little bit of plastic, this worked for me, and doesn't affect the PS3's perfomance in any way, its just not needed.

If you are still having problems post back, there is another possible solution

images.jpg

1TB SSHD PS4 – Samsung 40” 3D LED – Yamaha 5x 100watt Receiver
Looking for a clan to join ?? check out Beyond The Grave [BTG]
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 49 (18,384 Views)
1 Kudos
Level 11

[ Edited ]

Yeah safe mode (or diagnostic mode as it used to be called) is the other option I was gonna go into

In my case I still had no love, and it wasn't until another forumer mentioned these jumper blocks.....

What is the model # of your drive btw ??

Hope all goes well :smileyhappy:

1TB SSHD PS4 – Samsung 40” 3D LED – Yamaha 5x 100watt Receiver
Looking for a clan to join ?? check out Beyond The Grave [BTG]
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 49 (18,197 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks for the help so far, I will have a go over the weekend and get back on Monday.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 49 (18,351 Views)
0 Kudos