04 Mar 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

unable to play 3D movies using the PS3

23 Replies 61,222 Views Created 04-03-2012

Hi we have just recently bought a new Sony 3D TV and upgraded to the newest PS3. We hired 4 3D movies but only one would work. With all the others we get told that we need a 3D player to watch 3D movies...Can anyone help with a solution

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24 (61,222 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: unable to play 3D movies using the PS3

Hi there,

Make sure your PS3 has the latest firmware:

Go to Settings -> System Update -> via Internet or Via Storage Media.

If you haven't set up your PS3 already in conjunction with your new TV:

Settings -> Display Settings -> Video Output Settings -> HDMI -> Automatic

You should be prompted to choose the size of your 3D TV after it detects that it can output in 3D.

-sbs

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24 (61,203 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Also make sure that you are connected with a HDMI cord.
2 Kudos
Message 3 of 24 (61,200 Views)
2 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I'm still waiting for somebody to buy me a 3D TV so I can provide support for these kinds of questions.

Anyone?

Please?

Oh well, worth a try.
1 Kudos
Message 4 of 24 (61,179 Views)
1 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I'm with Renze...anyone want to buy me a 3D TV?!
Its my 21st birthday....>.> In september?

Always accept friend requests! And game invites!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24 (61,101 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

ı made all the things that you saıd but still ı can nat paly the 3d movie what can ı do else

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24 (60,041 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

If it"s a Samsung 3D TV you need to enable 3D in the menu system
It will detect that a 3D device is available and ask for the screen size, so go to settings and enable it

1TB SSHD PS4 - Samsung 40" 3D LED - Yamaha 5.1 audio
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24 (60,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yeah what brand 3D TV is it?

I've recently bought a Sony 3D TV and play 3D movies from the PS3.

Depending on the 3D Bluray movie it will send a prompt to show on the screen saying 3D signal detected, then ask you if you want to watch it in that mode, then it will automatically turn the 3D on.

Other times I have to press the 3D button on the remote to activate the 3D manually.

Same thing with games, games stored on the PS3's HD, like Wipeout HD, Superstardust will auto prompt you about the 3D, other disc based games like Uncharted 3, Enslaved etc you need to find the option in the games menus to switch the 3D in.

Most 3D movies come in ripoff packaging, by that I mean they come multi format/disc bundle only, with 3 or more disc's in the plastic case, a 3D Bluray disc,  a standard 2D Bluray disc and a DVD disc, plus a coupon to get a downloadable version of the same movie.

Check that you are putting in the 3D bluray version into the PS3, it will be marked as such.

If they are rentals, make sure they have given you the 3D blueray versions of the discs, seems you could of been given the standard 2D bluray versions.

Or worse still, they could of given you 3D bluray versions, but they have been sourced from overseas and are a different region, so won't play unless you have a Oppo disc player or the like that plays any region.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24 (59,985 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I forgot to mention.

There are "Known Problems" with none playback of the 3D versions of the Toy Story I , 2 and 3.

I don't know if these are the movies you are having problems with, but suspect so.

Apparently [from the PR Dept] there was a "mastering mistake" during the 3D ifying of these movies

The truth is that something went wrong in the adding, surreptitiously, of the Cinavia DRM to these movies, causes the batch that suffers from this, not to be able to be played back.

You just have to read the reviews at Amazon to see how many got effected by this.

http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Trilogy-Blu-ray-3D/product-reviews/B005HS4CUY/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie...

I can report on these 3D discs that I have bought and play back via PS3 into a Sony 3D TV that

all auto detect a switch to 3D automatically without problems, it might help in trouble shooting if you are still having problems with any of the discs listed below.

Alice in Wonderland 3D

Harry Potter & the deathly hollows PT1

Harry Potter & the deathly hollows PT 2

SAW the final chapter 3D

Green Lantern 3D

Captain America 3D

Happy Feet 2 3D

Tin Tin 3D

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24 (59,972 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3