Technical Help

28 Jan 2011
By: skatergod

3 Posts
Accepted Solution

3.56 Hard Drive Upgrade Problem

370 Replies 12417 Views Created 28-01-2011

I've got the exact same problem!

I updated the software this morning to 3.56 and my system works fine.  

My new hard drive came by UPS this afternoon and I installed it properly.

Seagate Momentus 500GB 5400 RPM. 

I checked its compatible with the PS3.

I created the USB with the proper folders PS3/UPDATE/ and put the update file I just downloaded from sony's website into it.  I press START and SELECT and it comes back with an error code.

It says "the data is corrupt"  (8002F225).    

I tried 4 different USB drives and have tried re downloading the update and it all leads back to the same place?

I just put my original HD back in and the system works fine.  The problem is with the update file posted on the Sony website.

I read somewhere that this same thing happened with the 3.41 update a while back.

Any Solutions yet??

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 371 (12,417 Views)

Re: 3.56 Hard Drive Upgrade Problem

I am trying to upgrade my HDD today again after updating the software to 3.56.  I am following the instructions as they were posted online on how to change out the drive, format and reinstall the drive.  After turning the system and following a few instructions it tells me to press START and Select at the same time to search for the 3.56 software update; a few minutes later I get the same error message and code ("the data is corrupt"  (8002F225).

After trying several USB drives, burning the file to CD-R, I tried searching for the error code on the us.playstation.com site only to find that they claim that code doesn't exist.  After that I did a google search for the code and found this posting.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 371 (12,295 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

There appears to be a problem with the firmware download. Wait until it's been fixed and retry.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/3-56-firmware-update-preventing-hdd-upgrades-for...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 371 (12,284 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

This is terrible. I'm having this problem too, exept I formatted my original 120gb ps3 drive so I could use it as an external for this upgrade!!!
What if it's months before it's resolved?!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 371 (12,188 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

got the same problem, having "hardrive is corrupt" errors constantly for days, so i remove the drive, and do a low level format on it. and now i cant reinstall the update!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 371 (12,179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Yeah it sucks big time. Can't even use my original drive as I formatted it!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 371 (12,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

yeah, im just sat looking at a Data is corrupted screen, trying to source the fw update from somewhere that isnt corrupted

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 371 (12,145 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

SO MANY  newly registered members suddenly wanting to change HDD's  after the 3.56  update...

Wonder why  :Confused: -    Probably just coincidence i suppose. :Blush::Lol:

Montage Mik - PS3-Theme.com
"The man in the Hood plunges Blade into spine ......Look over your shoulder ,Cause you're Next in line ! "
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 371 (12,138 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Lol! My PS3 is virtually brand new, got it for christmas. and its been a absolute pain in the ***** the whole time. freezing, drive corrupting etc. and decided to try and fix it this morning, and now :smileysad: Sony's update is corrupt. tried EU, AU, and US just in case.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 371 (12,136 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

It is total coincidence that I tried upgrading today!

How have I breached terms and conditions though? I've done everything legit - you are allowed to change the hard drive.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 371 (12,120 Views)
0 Kudos