25 May 2009
By Marktko
Playstation Staff

Advice please - My ps3 says cannot start the correct hard disk was not found

40 Replies 17,762 Views Created 25-05-2009

My first post on here. Apologies if in wrong forum

Just fired up the ps3 today and got the message above. Went on forums and seems the best advice was to reboot, remove the hard drive etc.. and hold the start button down - had no effect. Can't get to the menu options or anything.

Rang Sony who gave me same advice and here I am 12 hours later and it seems the hard drive has gone kapput.

Anyway Sony said that as my ps3 is out of warranty the best option is to pay £145 and have my PS3 exchanged for a new one - they will pick up and drop a newq one off.

However if I am not bothered about the data that was on my old hard drive can I not just buy a new compatible hard drive and put that one in ? Or does it have to be specifically formatted ?

Not really up on these things so grateful for any advice and my best options.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 41 (17,762 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Advice please - My ps3 says cannot start the correct hard disk was not found

You can buy a new hard drive and put it into your PS3 and when you put it in the PS3 will format it automaticly to its format

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 41 (17,711 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Advice please - My ps3 says cannot start the correct hard disk was not found

[ Edited ]

Ignore the guy above.

What  you need to do is access the PS3 recovery menu.

Turn your PS3 on but keep your finger  on the power button till it turns off again.

Turn it on again and hold the power until you here 2 beeps and let go.

You will then get the recovery menu.

From here choose 'Restore file system'

Let it run it's course and it will be fine!!!! 

It's amazing the guy at Sony did not tell you this!!! *****!!! 

Message Edited by smell_ya_l8r on 25-05-2009 09:50 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 41 (17,717 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I have had this pop up a couple of times in the past after a FW update, i put it down to having sa 250GB HDD in there, however after switching off at the back and unplugging at the wall for 5 minutes and starting it back up it rebooted fine
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 41 (17,700 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

smell_ya_l8r wrote:

Ignore the guy above.

Turn your PS3 on but keep your finger  on the power button till it turns off again.

never knew this before mate :smileyvery-happy:

i sent mine off last year for this exact problem, will be copying that down somewhere just incase it happens again!

also OP, dnt pay 145pound, just get continous play for 5pound a month!! get it wait a week phone 'em bk up, get a replacement - job done :smileyvery-happy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chas19 wrote:

And im thanking Sony for helping me decide to buy a 360....So thanks...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 41 (17,691 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

smell_ya_l8r

thanks but the guys at Sony did tell me to try the method you describe over the phone but it just won't get to the recovery menu at all ??

I have unplugged at wall and waited etc..

I will try it again and see if i can get there

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 41 (17,686 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

smell_ya_l8r wrote:

Ignore the guy above.

What do you mean ignore me?

I wasent telling him what to do i was answering his question in his first post which was

However if I am not bothered about the data that was on my old hard drive can I not just buy a new compatible hard drive and put that one in ? Or does it have to be specifically formatted ?

Message Edited by RossMcManus on 25-05-2009 09:59 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 41 (17,692 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

cheers Ross if I can't get to the recovery menu then it will have to be a new hard drive.

are game saves stored in ps3 itself or on the hard drive ??

don't really want to lose these but could manage i guess 1

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 41 (17,678 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I had this and couldn't get to recovery menu, but i think i fixed it by having the ps3 on standby then holding the power button for it to come on then keep holding till it goes off (keep holding till red light) .. it was either that or this... turn the ps3 on then hold the power button for ages till it completely goes off, i hope its 1 of them, if not take hdd out and put back in.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 41 (17,667 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Here is a bit of a better discription of what to do,

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button

6. The Recovery menu will pop up. 

I only had this problem when I put my new 320 gig hard drive in, it worked perfect before.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 41 (17,657 Views)
0 Kudos