I have had the problem with the Disc reader and have had the PS3 replaced (Thanks to the Sony helpline, they were brilliant)
Before I sent it off, I performed a full backup to an external harddrive which is FAT32
I've checked it on the laptop and here are the file paths as it is on the harddrive:
Directory of Z:\PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\200811051844
05/11/2008 18:44 2,959,952 archive.dat
05/11/2008 18:52 4,294,966,784 archive2_00.dat
05/11/2008 18:59 4,294,966,784 archive2_01.dat
05/11/2008 19:06 4,294,966,784 archive2_02.dat
05/11/2008 19:10 2,084,605,400 archive2_03.dat
05/11/2008 18:44 6,501,176 archive2.dat
05/11/2008 19:10 302,689,847 archive_00.dat
So, I've tried to restore it now and it won't work, here's what happens in sequence:
Go to Backup Utility, choose Restore
- The external harddrive comes up,
- Select the backup data
- choose the folder with the backup data, 200811051844
- A message is displayed to say that the data is from a different system and some data won't be restored - OK
- Does a quick format of they system - OK
- System Resets
- Then a message displays "Restoring... do not turn off system or remove storage media"
- Then another message appears after a short time "There is no backup data, check that you have inserted only the storage media containing the backup data, and then try to restore again"
- System Resets
- Database rebuilt
- Resets again
So I need your help everyone, I think I've covered everything there...
Thanks in advance
talked to the helpdesk
they reckon try from another device and if that doesn't work, then your backup is *****
so i tried that, and it failed again
which is ***** for me now, though luckily I still have my game saves seperately
when i ran the backup it told me that it was done successfully - LIES!!!
There was a lot of info on that backup that I now won't be able to restore...
really ***** off
Are there any other suggested methods of backup ??
Word of warning: once restored disconnect the USB device from the PS3 before rebooting and playing any games otherwise when games load they will report your games saves as being corrupted. This is not the case merely a bug with the PS3 since 2.4x when connected USB devices containing backup data at PS3are present at reboot time.