03 Oct 2010
Playstation Staff

Best option for data transfer from dead PS3 to new PS3....

8 Replies 11,781 Views Created 03-10-2010

Old original (fat) PS3 60GB went YLOD about a month ago, so had it fixed - at least long enough to do a full backup using the PS3's built in utility. YLOD appeared again within 1 week (after around 2 hours of gameplay) - fixed again, but only lasted 4 hours of play this time. But I have that all important(???) backup.....

What I have (had) on the old PS3 - 4 local user accounts, all with associated PSN accounts. Only a few games played (10-20), with various games saves across all 4 users. A couple of downloads via PSN - 2 x whole games, plus 2 x expansion packs for COD6. No personal music, videos, etc. stored on PS3.

Only really worried about a few saves across various users, for 1 specific game (which it would be a bind to have to replay for progress).

Buying a new PS3 slim tomorrow. Would like opinions on how best to approach "data transfer" - e.g.:

1/ Attempt to get old one fixed again, and use PS3 to PS3 data migration utility.

2/ Simply restore the backup I do have, to the new machine.

- No issue if I have to re-download the games/expansion packs - but in this case, do I have to set up the 4 users on the new system 1st, then restore - or does the restore create the 4 users and put the games saves back into the right places, etc?

3/ Take the opportunity to create new "full" PSN accounts in place of the 2 "sub-accounts" that exist (kids growing up - don't want the stigma of sub-accounts!); ignore the backup completely; create the 4 users and link to 2 x existing and 2 x new PSN accounts, re-download the games/expansion packs, and just make everyone go through the whole (1 specific) game again ;-)

What about "de-activating" the old system?  Is this a pre-requisite of re-downloading the games and expansion packs - if so, how do I do this for a system that's not working....?

I have Googled for most of the evening to try and find the best solution to my specific situation - but haven't found anything definitive - hence the query here...

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (11,781 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Best option for data transfer from dead PS3 to new PS3....

Hey, Im not sure I can give you all the answers here but I will try my best.

Your DLC should be tied to the user account used to download it. When you get you get the new PS3 just log in with your current details and you should be able to access your download list from the store. Now I have tried this myself and it works just fine. I have the same user account across both my PS3s and can get DLC on both with no issue.

As for the data. I would get a hard drive enclosure (recommend ebuyer) take the drive from your old PS3 and plug it in to your new one. The rest should be pretty simple. Just restore the data to the new system, if the user accounts dont appear just open a new one and use the same log in details as you had on the old system.

Im not 100% sure if your accounts will just appear on the new system but the data should at least be there. You can then re-open the accounts and copy the save data across to them with relative ease.

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (11,758 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Option 1 is the best option if possible, hairdryer trick might work. Just restoring the backup is likely to lose some of the 'Saves' because it's to a different machine. This also gives you the opportunity to deactivate the old machine.

I'm not sure about the setting up the users again questions.

Deactivation isn't a pre-requisite but, if you cannot do it, 1 of your 5 download activations will be lost. There are other situations which might be a problem, you can only have 1 machine registered for movies and Singstar tracks need to be re-registered via Customer Services to the new machine (takes about a week).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (11,756 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

fresh191 wrote:

Hey, Im not sure I can give you all the answers here but I will try my best.

As for the data. I would get a hard drive enclosure (recommend ebuyer) take the drive from your old PS3 and plug it in to your new one. The rest should be pretty simple. Just restore the data to the new system, if the user accounts dont appear just open a new one and use the same log in details as you had on the old system.

This isn't possible. Restore from backup or data transfer are the only options.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (11,755 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Personally, I'd suggest trying the restore onto the slim first :smileyhappy:

This will take a couple of hours.
At that point you will need to re-authorise each of the accounts on the new slim.
Check to see what has (or more to the point, hasn't) come across - you will need to re-download some stuff, so you're mainly concerned with game saves here :smileyhappy:

If you have everything (or at least enough), then you are good to go - ish :smileyhappy:

If a bunch of important stuff (saves) have not been transferred, then you're into bringing the old one back to life and trying a data transfer - but this may not work if the old one will not play ball and stay alive long enough.

With regards to the sub / master issue - unfortunately, the only way to create master accounts is by starting new ones - there is no way to 'upgrade' the existing IDs.

As to deactivating the accounts on the old PS3 - yes, that would be good, if you can get it to stay alive long enough :smileyhappy:
But it's not vital (at this stage...)

Each account can be activate on up to 5 PS3s, so with your slim, that's 2 (per account).
IF, down the road, you end up going through more PS3s (due to failures, or just buying more! :smileyhappy:), not deactivating them on this old one MAY become an issue for you :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (11,744 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Just got the new slim; decided to go with the "just restore from the backup from the other machine and see what happens" option....

Powered it on, had to create a user. Didn't know whether to create one of my original users, or go with the default "User 1". Left it on User 1, on the basis that the disk would be formatted (as I understood it) during the restore and the original users would overwrite any created at this stage. Attached USB HD and started restore. About 4 minutes for the restore, 3 reboots, 30 seconds for disk database rebouilds, overall no more than 10 minutes (8.28GB total for the backup folder),  and here we go....

Straight off, immediate issue - only 3 of the 4 original users on the old system had been restored to the new system - and the default "User 1" was still there. The good news was that it looked like the game saves for the 1 user that I was hoping to get access to, were all there - so I can immediately copy those off to a USB stick individually, for safe keeping..... But this 4th user?

I thought that we had 2 master accounts and 2 sub accounts - but maybe it was 3 and 1. The one account that is missing is a definite sub-account - would that be why it's missing? 

Read somewhere that local user's accounts are held in flash, not on the HD - that might explain why the default User 1 was still there after the restore (and associated formats)?  So what will happen if I do another restore, to see if I can get the 4th user's data back - will I end up with 7 (or 8) accounts - the 4 that now exiist after the 1st restore, then another 3 (or 4) after perhaps a 2nd attempted restore?

Why is nothing in this world easy?  Just want portability on PS3 accounts (local and PSN), and *simple* data transfer mechanisms...!!!???!!!

Any info./explanations as to what's gone on above (to help me determine what to do next) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (11,719 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Got to be honest, I've not looked into sub-accounts, so I'm not sure what is going on there, sorry

Surprised it isn't there though.

I've also not tried a double restore - but I guess you have little to loose! :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (11,708 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Not sure about doing a double-restrore, as I am uncertain (and can't seem to find definitive documentation) as to what is actually deleted/restored during the process - e.g. the default user on the new PS3 ("User 1") wasn't deleted (just 3 of the 4 'backed-up' profiles restored and added alongside that user), so some user data must be stored somewere other than the HD - and thereby how much of the user data...???

Also, in re-linking PSN accounts, I have confirmed that 2 accounts are Master, and 2 accounts are Sub-Acounts - so only one of the Sub-Accounts is missing (so doesn't seem to be a sub-account issue....).

So, sticking with the 75% successful restore, have linked the 3 restored local PSN accounts and activated all three - and (re-)created the 4th user, also linking to appropriate PSN account, for whom all trophies have re-appeared, but obvioulsly a lack of game saves/data at the moment for that user. Plan is to get the old PS3 repaired (again - 3rd time), hopefully long enough to get individual games saves off the old machine for this one user. But then the next question...

Some games (e.g. Lara Croft series) seem to create multiple saves, and have the facility when you load the game, to choose a save point (e.g. specify loading a particular save). Other games, like COD/MW2 seem to have just one game save file... so would I be right in thinking that restoring game saves from the old machines for these 2 scenarios is different?  E.g. in the Lara Croft game, it might just copy data save files (assuming no clash in names) from the USB to the user's profile, adding to any saves for that game that might already exist. But copying a COD/MW2 save file would replace/overwrite any existing one?  Does the PS3 warn about overwriting a save file? Is it more than just "good practice" (e.g. essential) to copy off any existing game saves for an existing profile to perhaps another discrete USB, before trying to restore game saves from the USB with the old (hopefully recovered) game saves on it...??

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (11,662 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

does all seem a bit strange! :smileysurprised:

As to the last bit, to be honest I've always just played it safe, and double double checked which save file from which PS3 was the one I really wanted, deleted everything else and then copied it across as a single file via USB. :smileyhappy:

Though that did have the advantage of having working PS3s at the time.

So yes, I'd definitely recommend backing up at least the latest save off your PS3 onto a 'safe' USB before copying anything else onto it from the old one :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (11,648 Views)
0 Kudos