25 Sep 2009
Playstation Staff

Blinking Red light and PS3 won't turn on

75 Replies 176,943 Views Created 25-09-2009

I'm sure some of you know me. I have an annoyingly loud fan in my 40GB ps3, and made several threads about it

Well about 20 minutes ago when I was playing gta iv, it turned its self off for no reason, but this didn't worry me as I've had crashes before. When I go to turn it back on, it goes green for about a second, thenjust changes to a flashing red light. Now I think there may a yellow light there, but if it is, it's only there for about half a second, and I can't be sure, as I'm colour blind and I don't know what the YLOD looks like.

The GTA IV disc looked like it was going to be stuck in there, but I turned it on at the back, and held down the eject button, and it came out as my PS3 started doing the fan test (which is what happens if you hold down the eject button)

I thought that when you get the YLOD, your game gets stuck inside and won't come out no matter what

I also hear that this blinking red light means it's overheated, and to leave it for an hour or so and it'll work, and others say that it means your PS3 is actually broken

Now has anyone got any advice, have any of you had this problem before and resolved it? I'm mighty peed off it is broken, as I was gonna go into Cex tomorrow and try to get a slim because I was so annoyed at the fan :smileysad:

----------------------------------------------
How did I get here I am not good with computer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 76 (176,943 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Blinking Red light and PS3 won't turn on

unfortunatley its prob dead and has YLOD :smileysad: hard luck mate, you should leave it for a bit to cool down and hope it will stay on t long enough to get the disk out
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 76 (176,842 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

But I already got the disk out, as I said :smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 76 (176,836 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

oops missed that bit lol :Stupid:
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 76 (176,834 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

yep... you got the non existant YLOD... now you can see why not many would report getting a yellow light, blink and its gone, dont blink and you'll miss it anyway...

not alot you can do... your one of the lucky ones to get the disk out...

good luck... not alot you can do...

Message Edited by ZOMB13-R4NG3R on 25-09-2009 07:09 PM

All this will be lost in time... like tears in rain...Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 76 (176,833 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Bloody hell, looks like I'll have to fork out £128 for a repair then....and only a week after the *****ing watchdog show as well
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 76 (176,817 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

XtraMinty wrote:
Bloody hell, looks like I'll have to fork out £128 for a repair then....and only a week after the *****ing watchdog show as well

Complain in a polite but firm manner, say you don't think the machine has lasted as long as it should do. Ask them to explain (and actually make them list the reasons) why you should have to pay £130 for the repair of a machine that should be more reliable given it's price. Ask to speak to someone in charge, insist. Make a nuisance of yourself by repeatedly calling back and wanting contact/updates from a supervisor about your case.

You might get it free if you do this. They do have the digression to authorise it for free if they want.
Message Edited by DrTrouserPlank on 25-09-2009 07:43 PM
PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 76 (176,780 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well I'm gonna try things like replacing hard drive etc first, just in case they work. If not I'll call up Sony tomorrow and make a scene
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 76 (176,765 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Contact the SST (Sony Support Team), they come around in a van, get your PS3 out, fix it in the van and give it back to you. They also test it in their van before they leave, so you're sure. 80% of them fixing it, but it depends...doesn't cost that much or it might even be free.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 76 (176,745 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

devilman997 wrote:
Contact the SST (Sony Support Team), they come around in a van, get your PS3 out, fix it in the van and give it back to you. They also test it in their van before they leave, so you're sure. 80% of them fixing it, but it depends...doesn't cost that much or it might even be free.

Who are this Sony support team? Is this an actualy Sony thing, or is it part of that watchdog stunt?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 76 (176,757 Views)
0 Kudos