08 Feb 2009
Playstation Staff

Can I buy an external Hard Drive for my PS3

7 Replies 558 Views Created 08-02-2009
So if I sacrifice one of my USB ports can I get an external hard drive that will work on the PS3.  Not good with technology so don't know if this will work but removing and replacing my internal hard drive seems a daunting task.  So can it be done?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (558 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Can I buy an external Hard Drive for my PS3

Hi Piefight

The answer to your question as far as i know is both yes and no. My brother used a external hard drive on my ps3 that had all his saved games on from his ps3, and transferred them to my ps3 so we could use his save game. So yes, you can use an external hardrive with a ps3. However I am not sure if you can use it to save games directly on to it. 

Here, have a look at this link that tells you how to add an external hard drive to your ps3.

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-External-Hard-Drive-to-a-PlayStation-3

I hope I helped, and good luck with your ps3 =]

DB

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (552 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Thanks however can I just buy an external hard drive and plug it in?

I read the link but just want to clarify

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (547 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yes you can plug in external hard drives into your ps3 through a usb connection. =]

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (543 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

The PS3 will not save games directly to a EXT HDD, you have to go into game saves in the xmb and move them across (triangle on save - copy)

Also, your new Ext HDD will have to be formated into a file system called FAT32.

Use this program:

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm

to format the drive - its fairly quick and easy, just follow the instructions.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (537 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

If I copy my games saves over to the external HDD and then proceed to delete thedata on the PS3's HDD then will I still be able to play my saved games which are stored on the external HDD

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (498 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Technically yes, however as fski says you must transfer your saved game from your ext HDD to your ps3 saved game area every tome you want to play. This is a very long proceedure to access a saved game, so if I were you and want more memory I would just get a new internal hard drive.

Basically how to do this: Transfer all data from your old hard drive to your external one, then from your external to your new one when you have put the new one in.*

I can understand if you don't want to change the internal one as it is probably quite complicated. =s

*I am sure there is a propper guide how to change your hard drive with a new one in the actual manual you get with it. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (491 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

DannyBoy442 wrote: 

I can understand if you don't want to change the internal one as it is probably quite complicated. =s

*I am sure there is a propper guide how to change your hard drive with a new one in the actual manual you get with it. 

Swapping the internal drive is a breeze. its just a case of removing 5 screws and then replacing them when the HDD's have been swapped. Search youtube for a video on how to do it.

Marty 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (479 Views)
0 Kudos