13 Nov 2008
Playstation Staff

Can a game break your PS3 ?

7 Replies 796 Views Created 13-11-2008

Lats week , i was playing LBP for the first time and my screen frozed , the ps3 stopped reading disks , now i read that other people had the same problem to with LBP ?

Could it be that a game like LBP break your PS3 ?

And when i get my PS3 back , should i be carefull playing LBP or is there no risk to have the sameproblem ? :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (796 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re : Can a game break your PS3 ?

Hi,

some games can, true enough, break the PS3 when the game get frozen. Just be careful :smileywink:.

When a game get frozen, the PS3 doesn't save the position of the reading lens after the reboot : so it can't read discs anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (783 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Re : Can a game break your PS3 ?

HaouasNajib wrote:

When a game get frozen, the PS3 doesn't save the position of the reading lens after the reboot: so it can't read discs anymore

Wouldn't that be due to a flaw of the bluray drive?

I wonder though what can cause the game to hang. Still, according to what you say
the game would still cause the ps3 not to be able to read disks, albeit indirect

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (774 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

its funny you mention about playing LBP because i was playing it last night and the screen froze. i restart it thinking it was ok and nothin was happening. my ps3 was offically dead. i got on the blower to sony and they are sending out a replacement. is it worth paying £4.99 a month to cover your PS3 if it breaks? i'll be honest i do play on it a bit too much.
Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (761 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well any game could break the PS3. Not just anyone.

Best thing to do is that Continuous Play thing which I am going to sign up to soon. The website I think accoring to the little pamflet I found in my Little Big Planet box is:

continuousplay.co.uk

My Lifetime Ambition:
To be a Beta Tester for Sony Computer Entertainment.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (757 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re : Re: Re : Can a game break your PS3 ?

Paddy0524 a écrit:

HaouasNajib wrote:

When a game get frozen, the PS3 doesn't save the position of the reading lens after the reboot: so it can't read discs anymore

Wouldn't that be due to a flaw of the bluray drive?

A simple bug in a wrong moment (When the BD Drive accesses to the BD) can create a freeze and then, break your PS3 system :smileywink:.

You can get as an example GTA IV which freezed and broke a lot of PS3 60 Go. But that problem had been fixed on an update quickly :smileyhappy:.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (749 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Re : Re: Re : Can a game break your PS3 ?

Doing some reading up on the US ps forums revealed that mostly the 60GB version were sensitive to this bug.

Perhaps the older versions have an improved version of the Bluray Drive that isn't susceptible to this flaw.

Anyway, glad to hear the bug has been fixed, now I don't have to be afraid of getting GTA IV :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (744 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re : Can a game break your PS3 ?

Paddy0524 a écrit:

Anyway, glad to hear the bug has been fixed, now I don't have to be afraid of getting GTA IV :smileyhappy:

Absolutely :Thumbs:. Sincerely, I had no problems with the game before or after the update on my 60 Go PS3.

However, it's good to hear that R* had quickly fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (734 Views)
0 Kudos