09 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff

Can i connect my ps3 to laptop via hdmi port

14 Replies 208,086 Views Created 09-11-2009

i've been looking on the net for a simple guide but all the geeks just start bitchin,

basicly i do a nightshift and want to play my ps3.... 

these are the things i have.... 

i have a ps3.. and a laptop with a hdmi port .. can i use this.. or buy anything to make it compatable 

i also have a pc monitor with vga port can i use this .... 

i understand i will probs need to buy sumit to make it work.

so please a simple answer maybe links to how i can do this... no bullshit.. no bitching just after some good honest help 

thanks people 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (208,086 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Can i connect my ps3 to laptop via hdmi port

space-dream wrote:

i've been looking on the net for a simple guide but all the geeks just start bitchin,

basicly i do a nightshift and want to play my ps3.... 

these are the things i have.... 

i have a ps3.. and a laptop with a hdmi port .. can i use this.. or buy anything to make it compatable 

i also have a pc monitor with vga port can i use this .... 

i understand i will probs need to buy sumit to make it work.

so please a simple answer maybe links to how i can do this... no bullshit.. no bitching just after some good honest help 

thanks people 

bad news, sorry :smileysad:

You can't use the laptop screen, because the HDMI port on the laptop will be 'out' only (as is the HDMI port on your PS3) - the laptop screen can't take an incoming signal from that to display on it's screen. :smileysad:

You then have a few alternatives - none of which I've tried, but might work...

1) HDMI

HDMI to DVI convertor, then DVI to VGA convertor.  There is no obvious reason why this wouldn't work that I can see - HDMI to DVI definately works on PS3s, and DVI to VGA I believe works on PCs...

BUT HDMI is capable of sending out HDCP encrypted signals, whereas VGA doesn't support this - and your monitor probably doesn't either.

Some owners have reported problems with HDMI > DVI giving a blank screen - though it works fine for me on my non-HDCP monitor.

2) Component

A more expensive option is a component to VGA convertor - something like

http://www.consolesandgadgets.com/catalog/xcm-1080p-component-vga-box-p-2506.html

(which I also haven't used - but the spec says it will do the job)

On the plus side, component doesn't even try to support HDCP, and the PS3 knows this, so whilst you will 'only' get 1080i (some places say less - I'm not sure to be honest) signals from blu-ray discs (1080p requires HDCP I believe), that should still look good enough :smileyhappy:

3) HDMI direct to VGA

HD Fury.  Again, not something I've used, but it appears to have been made specifically for what you are trying to do :smileyhappy:

http://www.hdfury.com/

not cheap though :smileysad:

google for HD Fury - about £60 seems to be the going price.

Hope that helps! :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (208,065 Views)

Playstation Staff

no the HDMI on your laptop works both ways... that guy's an idiot u hook up ur ps3 with HDMI to ur laptop and then you have the change the computer's source to HDMI so it'll real the HDMI input. im trying to find a good video to change it also but it's possible i've done it on my desk top i just don't know where to go to change the source for my laptop

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (205,851 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

crabby09 wrote:

no the HDMI on your laptop works both ways... that guy's an idiot u hook up ur ps3 with HDMI to ur laptop and then you have the change the computer's source to HDMI so it'll real the HDMI input. im trying to find a good video to change it also but it's possible i've done it on my desk top i just don't know where to go to change the source for my laptop

Firstly, that guy is not an idiot, hes helped a lot of people on this forum and is well respected.

Secondly he was correct, MOST in fact ALL that I know of are one way ports and do not allow input via the HDMI. Even some of the high end gaming/graphics laptops costing the besst part of £2000 do not allow input.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (205,784 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

If it's a desktop, then you can use it as an input, since desktops use external monitors.

With laptops, the monitor is built in and it won't allow another video source to occupy its only monitor. Therefore, all laptops have output-only ports.

You can get a TV Tuner card for your laptop, or just buy a normal external desktop monitor (which will be way cheaper).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (205,653 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Please explain how to change the source of your laptop monitor to HDMI so i can use my ps3. I know it can be done i just need to know how....please assist

thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (199,017 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Can i Connect my laptop with hdmi to my tv with hdmi with the daemon hdmi cable for X360 and ps3? I Haven't tried it yet cause i don't want to mess anything up
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (196,276 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

There should be a "AV Mode" Button either in your System settings. Or on your laptop itself :smileywink: And yes it does work on Laptops :smileyvery-happy:

Big fan of PSN! But SONY??? Where is your Name-change option??? How many people have asked for it so far??? Please make it possible for every User to change there name!

Post this to your own account if you agree and make SONY see that everybody DOES need this feature not just the Japanese!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (189,748 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

how where would you fine that at

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (184,764 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff