28 Jan 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Can you play ps2 games on a ps3 console?

[ Edited ]
4 Replies 31,217 Views edited 31-01-2012

Hi

I was just wondering if you can play ps3 games on the ps3 consoles??:Help: thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (31,217 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: can you play ps2 games on a ps3 console??

Only the original 60GB has backwards compatibility.

So if you have one of them, yes. Otherwise, no.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (31,213 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Posted in the wrong section of the forums, try here instead next time:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/bd-p/62

WANT TO BE A : Beta Trial Member

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (31,208 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You can play some, I know you can play alot of PS1 disc's though, I have a whole bunch. But the PS2 disc's... A problem is that it can increase the chance of Yellow Light/Red Blinking Light on the console, here are the percentages+the PS2 increased percentages.

PS3 20 GB Console Fail Rate: 25 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=30 percent.

PS3 40 GB Console Fail Rate: 20 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=23 percent.

PS3 60 GB Console Fail Rate: 35 percent+PS2 disc fail rate= 45 percent.

PS3 120 GB Console Fail Rate: 8 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=10 percent.

PS3 160 GB Console Fail Rate: 4 percent+PS2 disc fail rate= 6 percent.

PS3 320 GB Console Fail Rate: 1 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=2 percent.

Notice how the 120-320 GB console fail rates are really low? It's because the 20-60 Gigabyte Consoles are Phats, which means since they are older, the motherboard, etc, is an older model. It burns out easier then the new 120-320 Gigabyte Consoles because they have newer model motherboards and the fail rate decreases by a longshot. The 60 Gigabyte Consoles have always been the one's to fail easier, it is the same motherboard, etc, as the 20 and 40 Gigabyte Consoles, but it was known to break easier because the chips that were outside the motherboard would always malfunction and overheat the console in a certain period of playtime. If you have a 60GB console, DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT. Play PS2 games on it. These fail rates are probably not the exact fail rates, but from my studies on the PS3 and other consoles, that is what I calculated it to be. I hope your PS3 is a slim! Happy gaming!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (31,204 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

zanaman3000 wrote:

You can play some, I know you can play alot of PS1 disc's though, I have a whole bunch. But the PS2 disc's... A problem is that it can increase the chance of Yellow Light/Red Blinking Light on the console, here are the percentages+the PS2 increased percentages.

PS3 20 GB Console Fail Rate: 25 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=30 percent.

PS3 40 GB Console Fail Rate: 20 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=23 percent.

PS3 60 GB Console Fail Rate: 35 percent+PS2 disc fail rate= 45 percent.

PS3 120 GB Console Fail Rate: 8 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=10 percent.

PS3 160 GB Console Fail Rate: 4 percent+PS2 disc fail rate= 6 percent.

PS3 320 GB Console Fail Rate: 1 percent+PS2 disc fail rate=2 percent.

Notice how the 120-320 GB console fail rates are really low? It's because the 20-60 Gigabyte Consoles are Phats, which means since they are older, the motherboard, etc, is an older model. It burns out easier then the new 120-320 Gigabyte Consoles because they have newer model motherboards and the fail rate decreases by a longshot. The 60 Gigabyte Consoles have always been the one's to fail easier, it is the same motherboard, etc, as the 20 and 40 Gigabyte Consoles, but it was known to break easier because the chips that were outside the motherboard would always malfunction and overheat the console in a certain period of playtime. If you have a 60GB console, DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT. Play PS2 games on it. These fail rates are probably not the exact fail rates, but from my studies on the PS3 and other consoles, that is what I calculated it to be. I hope your PS3 is a slim! Happy gaming!

Oh dear where to start...

Firstly mate, the 60GB PS3 is the ONLY console version to feature PS2 backwards compatibility, and thus the only version that you can play these games on if you wanted to. So i have no idea how you could have calculated these "rates" for the others :smileytongue:

Secondly, PS2 playback has NEVER been shown or reported to cause the YLOD issue and from personal experience i know this isn't true because i have a 60GB still going and i have played a number of PS2 games on it.

The only part that really right in that whole post is that the 60GB's are known to be less reliable. Which is due to a number of reasons to do the with heating, thermal paste and heating effects on the components :smileywink:

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (31,192 Views)