26 Jan 2011
Playstation Staff

Cant connect the ps3 to my internet via Wireless,

9 Replies 1,655 Views Created 26-01-2011

Hey i switched from eircom to vodafone broadband, was very happy until i noticed my ps3 will NOT connect to the wireless, i get an error saying "the attempt to obtain the IP address timed out" can you please help me fix this, i know for a fact i got the WPA-PSK + WPA2 - PSK ( WPA KEY) right and i even turned it off and still wont co...nnect, i can only connect with a lan wire, but i need it wireless, any help please ?

fail.jpg

*Edit

i changed to WEP, i tried 64 - bit and 128 - bit , when i did Password (Ascii) no use, but when i changed the Password (Hexa) and typed it in i got a good result, every thing works except UPnP ( not available) and my nat type is type 2, still cant connect though, it gave me connection speed results to, so i must be close,

i dont know what im doing btw, and this is the message i wrote on vodafons facebook wall, im just not in the mood to retype it for here,

pass.jpg

320 GB Slim, 42" Panasonic 3D Full HD Plasma
Come join me and others in a community with almost 2000 people
MGL
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (1,655 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Cant connect the ps3 to my internet via Wireless,

don't worry about uPnP failing, as NAT2 will be fine anyway :smileyhappy:

The fact that you got it working with WEP does imply that the passwords you were trying with WPA were incorrect for some reason - upper / lower case is important, as is not pressing the Start button at the end of the password (use the on screen Enter instead)

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (1,619 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Cant connect the ps3 to my Internet via Wireless,

i have tried it about 17 times, i have used the ps3 official wireless keyboard as well as entering it normal, i know for a fact i typed it right, and its all in CAPS so i dont need to worry about lower and higher case :smileysad:

MGL
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (1,617 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

WEP is better than nothing - but not the best...

It may be worth you investing in a pair of homeplugs, which will give you near wired speed, without any wireless (password) hassle.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

even if i use WEP i still cant connect, i get an error when trying to sign in, and them homeplugs seem expensive, even on eBay !, you might be wondering, why i want wireless, ps3 is kinda far from the router, but we have a laptop, (wireless card is broke ) and 3 computers, 1 is mine, the other two are my brothers, my router has 4 lan slots, i use one, 2 other pcs , and the laptop, no room for another :smileysad: why im stuck with wireless, i could just buy the lan splitter thing and another lan wire

MGL
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (1,599 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

if you have a lan cable anywhere near your PS3 (but being used by something else), a switch is dead cheap :smileyhappy:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132456 £6 (plus P&P)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (1,565 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

haha thank you Degs, yeah this might do, how exactly do it work tho >> (noob btw )

MGL
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (1,547 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

the switch will 'split' the traffic, allowing both your PS3 and any other devices connected to it to share the single connection back from the switch to the router :smileyhappy:

It does mean that if both are turned on and using the connection, each will only get the fraction of that single connection, but in reality unless your PC is downloading some huge file from the internet, the PS3 won't be affected, and vice versa :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (1,524 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

is the same type thing as this, just a fancy version :smileytongue: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320592402258&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ?

i was going to get the item i posted above, but i do like the one you sent,

MGL
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (1,503 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

no, unfortunately that won't do the job at all - unless you only EVER have either the PC or the PS3 turned on at any one time.

if you EVER turn them both on, it won't work, as a switch is 'intelligent' to assign different IPs to connected devices, whereas that ebay item isn't.
You'd also need a female to female adaptor to connect it to the existing lan cable.

I really wouldn't recommend it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (1,441 Views)
0 Kudos