28 Jun 2009
By L3YTH
Playstation Staff

Dead PS3

11 Replies 467 Views Created 28-06-2009
My PS3 died off the flashing red light. I have just paid £145 to get it replaced with a reconditioned one. I have read alot of the threads on here and am astounded at the number of ps3 that have packed up. I expect my electronic equipment to last more than a couple of years. I am also concerned about what I'm going to get for my £145, judging by the number of reconned units that have broken. I wonder how many have to pack up before Sony admit theres a problem. Sony said the expect the ps3 to have a 10 year run, its a pity their macine only lasts for 2! I am disgusted at the lack of reliabilty. My launch day PS2 still works!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (467 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Dead PS3

The failure rate is very low really. To keep your new ps3 working at its best play it in a well ventilated room, have it standing up. And do not have it in any shelf's. Having it out in the open not surrounded by any thing is the best way to play!
:smileyhappy:
Follow Toby_P on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (457 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Why is it better vertical than horizontal?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (450 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

That way there is more surface area for heat to escape from.

Marty 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (447 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I've kept my 320gb hard drive and put the 60gb back in before I send it back to Sony. Will I be able to get my saves off it when I put it in the new machine or will it automatically reformat it?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (428 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

It will ask you to reformat the drive when you put it into the new PS3 unfortunately bud. You should back up all your game saves to a flash drive once a week just to be on the safe side.

Marty 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (418 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MartyTheParty wrote:

It will ask you to reformat the drive when you put it into the new PS3 unfortunately bud. You should back up all your game saves to a flash drive once a week just to be on the safe side.

Marty 

Marty should i put my PS3 standing up? I have mines lying down and gets hot quicky. But the thing is does this scratch the discs?

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (406 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I now too feel your pain... mine died this afternoon... i've heard about it, but never really paid attention i always put it down to people mis-using it in some way. after looking into it all of today, it seems it's not us after all THE SYSTEMS ARE FAULTY FROM PURCHASE! it isn't fair. we all pay alot of money for these consoles. we put alot of time and effort into these consoles. and we're continuosly paying to play these consoles through isp subs etc. now i have to pay the hidden tax to get me gaming again... retailers should advertise them as 'PS3 £299 (ON BUY NOW, PAY SONY HIDDEN TAX 1 YEAR LATER £145)'!!!

What really got me was the customer service person i spoke to at playstation who pretended to not recognise the symptoms i described to him replying "hmmm, thats odd?" IDIOT! i really wish there was a way for people like us to be heard properly and actioned upon- lol, i brought mine new on the 2nd of Jan '08 only because i worked on the bar over xmas and saved my tips up- what a waste...

Even if sony wont admit the fault the least they could do is replace/repair free of charge!!! skanks!!! BIG FAT SKANKS!!!

Just to let anyone know if they dont already,sony will replace dead ones free IF the failed system was brought new within 18 months and you have proof of purchase... now lets see how long it takes for them to sort me out- it happened to a friend of mine and he had to wait 7 weeks for his replacement AND even longer to get a replacement copy of the game that was trapped inside...

POOR SHOW SONY...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (400 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Geachie, PS3 does perform better stood up (Better Ventilated), and no it does not scratch discs. There is nothing inside the blu-ray drive that can cause scratching (i've looked and tested for this).
* *(&)** flembobs **(&)**

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Regardless, they still fail. too many to go un-noted. if they say you can use it stood up or layed down why would you not use it to your preferance? why not just say use only vertically? it's an obvious lack of domestic componant testing.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (393 Views)
0 Kudos