02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Disconnecting and Lag

11 Replies 572 Views Created 11-03-2010

Hey guys,

Ever since i got my PS3 Online (about 2-3 weeks ago, Wireless) it has been continualy logging me out of the PSN. Usualy when i start my system up, it will automaticaly log in 90% of the time with no problems, but then anywhere between 5 to 30 minutes later, it will disconnect me ...

''An error occoured during communication with the server. this is a DNS error. (80710102)''

Now ive checked and double checked my connection settings and the wireless signal is 100%. However if it does log me out, it is nigh on impossible to get back on.

I recently downloaded the Battlefield 1943 demo, and once i was online it seemed to work pretty smoothly. On a rare occasion i would get stuck due to lag and get booted from the game, but that only happened once. Everything ran as it should be expected. I then went and paid for the game and as soon as i got online with it, i had significant lag and several kicks an hour. If i managed to get into a game, every 50 seconds out of a minute would be lag, then i would die due to 'something'. and after about 4 or 5 attempts at enjoying the game, it would sign out of PSN and refuse to sign back in (see error message above).

Ive heard of 'rumours' that a recent system update has caused the connection for PS3 owners to become unstable, but like i said, thats just a rumour i heard from a friend who works at Game.

Ive looked at some of the solutions regarding similar problems, but they dont explain fully enough for me to understand what i might need to do to fix this. So i decided to make a new thread here and see if i could get a more 'step by step' fix. Im not all that tech-savy with the internet and routers etc (im better with just computers)

Im currently using a wireless connection to a BT HomeHub using a WPA key. (wired is very impractical for me) SIgnal strength is always at 100% ...

I cant realy think of anything else that may be of use to you.

Hope you can fix this,

Cheers

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
first, fairly easy thing to change, which has a good chance of helping:

on the PS3, go into the network setup option, and choose 'manual' instead of easy.
skip through the screens without changing anything, until you get to the one that shows the DNS servers.
change from 'auto' to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
These are Google's DNS severs, and seem to work very well :)

continue through rest of screens without changing anything else.

try a game :)
0 Kudos

Re: Disconnecting and Lag

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

Axel_Freelancer

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axel_Freelancer
Accepted Solution
Well, after altering the DNS servers to the ones you specified, it would no longer complete a connection test at all. However it did connect to the PSN quickly (for some reason that makes no sence to me) so i started BF1943, went quickplay and every time i connect to a game, it boots me almost instantly ...

then after a few attempts it logs me out again, so no real difference there

Sorry :/
0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
failing the connection test, but signing into PSn is - well, weird :(

can you run the connection test again and let us know which stage it fails at, and also what the UnPN status and NAT type reports as?
0 Kudos

/16

Axel_Freelancer

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axel_Freelancer
Accepted Solution
Well ive just ran another connection test (2:30 pm GMT, ~14 hours after my last attempt) and it appears to have accepted the changes this time ... very unusual ...
Obtain IP Address Succeeded
Internet Connection Succeeded
PSN Succeeded
UPnP Available
NAT Type Type 2
Connection Speed;
Download 2.7Mbps
Upload 337.5 kbps

before, it would get to the PSN, fail and discontinue the connection test.

Honestly, i think my PS3 has a mind of its own ...

Im just about to try out BF1943 again, to see how well the connection realy is, i shall let you know soon.
0 Kudos

/16

Axel_Freelancer

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axel_Freelancer
Accepted Solution

After trying several times, I either enter a game, experience heavy lag and then get kicked (connection was lost), or it cuts me off at the loading screen and returns me to the menu.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought the problem to be my Internet connection speeds because I've played online on my laptop and my Wii, and they have both been fine. I understand, however, that I might have lag anyway, but not as bad as I do right now.

Edit:

I've found that even though I'm logged out of the PSN, I can still access the Internet. So my connection is still there, but why it keeps logging me out is still a mystery

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I've not heard of BT throttling PSN connections, and you are getting some VERY weird symptoms :(

to be honest, I'm afraid I am scratching my head on this one now :(

I have heard of people having problems with homehubs in the past, but to be honest I didn't pay all that much attention at the time (sorry!)

Recall something about white and black units (black ones were later?), and needing to make sure firmware was up to date... but that's about it :(
0 Kudos

/16

Axel_Freelancer

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axel_Freelancer
Accepted Solution
Well, as far as i know, the black ones are the newer ones that have cordless phones. Im currently using that model, and ive not realy had a problem with it before. I wouldnt have thought it would have a problem with game consoles since my Wii worked perfectly online, if only to watch BBCIplayer and play Brawl.

With the firmware, i assume thats done automaticaly, since when i read the manual (one of the few that do) it said not to disconect the power when the update/downloading light is on, this means that it is downloading new info for the thing ... or something (memory is sketchy at best)

I shall look for some moor specific fixes, as i have only been looking at the error codes in general. Maybe this will help, and if i find the answer, then i will let you know.

untill then, Case Open

and thanks for your help thus far, since you have seemed to have made connecting to the PSN quicker and more reliable now, but keeping the connection ... yeah ...
0 Kudos

/16

KrisC111

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrisC111
Accepted Solution

I too am experiencing problems almost identical to your own! Ever since the problems with the clocks occurred a few weeks back i have been unable to play any game online. The console signs me in 90% of the time automatically too but as soon as I press on a game it signs me out as it is loading and comes up with either a connection error or DNS error. Very frustrating and no-one seems to have any answers!

0 Kudos

/16

Axel_Freelancer

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axel_Freelancer
Accepted Solution
Well i havent realy noticed anything about the clocks (i didnt know they changed) but i guess that could be the problem, or a part of it atleast ...
0 Kudos

/16

J-D-Turner

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
J-D-Turner
Accepted Solution

If you have a lot of wires behind your ps3 then can sometime interfere with the connection, sounds mad i know, but i read it on another forum. Move the ps3 or the wires so you only have to power and video wires and steatch them out so that there not looping around the back of the ps3.

It sounnds like the most stupid suggestion but it worked it me :)

0 Kudos

/16

Xsniper219x

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Xsniper219x
Accepted Solution