10 Dec 2010
By Daz-92
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Does LoveFilm Have Subtitles?

[ Edited ]
9 Replies 20,046 Views edited 27-12-2011

Has anybody used the lovefilm application to stream movies? 

If so, do you get the option of subtitles as I know that the Playstation video store doesn't. 

thanks. 

Run and tell the angels that everythings... WWWALRIGHT!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (20,046 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: LoveFilm Subtitles ?

anybody?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (20,003 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

* tumble weed rolls by"

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (19,979 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

i watched Jcvd which is subbed & they kicked in automaticly, but i haven't watched many other foreign films to give you an honest answer.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (19,970 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm talking about all the films, sorry for not making it clear.
Like when you'd get a dvd and can select english subtitles.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (19,964 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

When i watch movies on love film player they have subtitles always. So i guess the movies streamed on the PS3 does aswell.
Its a kind of must have for all movies now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (19,958 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

stevewhu wrote:
When i watch movies on love film player they have subtitles always. So i guess the movies streamed on the PS3 does aswell.
Its a kind of must have for all movies now.

Really? What actually happens when you stream a movie, do you get the menu like you would on a dvd?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (19,954 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

not on the PS3, the movie just starts without subtitles.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (19,938 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

FYI, here is the standard template response you get if you ask them why the don't do subtitles for the hard of hearing:-

Right now, to make this possible requires considerable development and industry-wide coordination.  For example, the right holders to the films we acquire and stream to customers need to actively support this development.

TH commentary: This suggests that the rights holders would allow them to distribute a film but not distribute it with a subtitle overlay option. Very difficult to believe this is true, even on Christmas Day after a lot of alcohol / good cheer. Given that a lot of their content would have (or at least could have been) originated from DVD / BD copies already embedded with subtitle content / timing data in the main, it's hard to see what technical support they are waiting for, so it must just be too hard for them to ask / negotiate with the license holders (assuming the rights holders even care enough for it to be an issue to distribute their content with subtitles).

Of course, we will continue to raise this with the licensors and will play our part in bringing this type of content to our customers. However, this is a big undertaking and we cannot be made solely responsible for this essential issue to be resolved. As this progresses, we will ensure that we keep our customers fully updated about this ongoing development.

TH commentary: still very unclear why this is such a 'big undertaking'. Also, they can be considered as an individual case because their service is covered in the UK by the Equality Act 2010, which states that service providers need to make 'reasonable adjustments' to make their service available to the disabled. Unless they can provide a more convincing explanation of why it is 'too hard', I think they fail this test. They are also effectively excluding about 8 million members of their potential UK market from being able to use their service, so I would have expected more of a sense of urgency from them.

What I can advise is that the majority of our DVD titles do provide an option for subtitles and this can be confirmed via the individual film product page so you still have access to the 70,000+ titles we are able to offer. 

TH commentary: I have to say that when I received this response, I came to the conclusion that they don't take this matter very seriously. My advice on this? Don't hold your breath.....

Regards,

Trevor.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (18,758 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I know this is an old thread, but I was doing a Google search and it came up. Does anyone have any idea how to put subtitles on if it's available to use on that movie? I'm hard of hearing and can't pick up a lot of words.
Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (17,105 Views)
0 Kudos