07 Feb 2012
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Firmware 4.00 getting stuck at 99%

[ Edited ]
12 Replies 5,710 Views edited 08-02-2012

Hello guys.

So I yesterday i was playing like usual, today when i turned on my ps3 i recieved this message:

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system. If the system cannot be restarted correctly, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software. Insert storage media that contains update data 4.00 or later then press the start and select buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data refer to the SCE website for your region."

Which is pretty weird cause i have not changed my HDD since i bought it. 

So i followed the instructions and now the install progress gets stuck at 99%

I have a PS3 Slim 320 gb CHECH-2503B and i clearly dont know how to solve this

I've read some threads with similar problems but on older modells.

What i was wondering is if i can format the HDD by plugging it to my PC and then reinstall ps3 software and reconnect it if that would work?

anybody got a clue on what i should do here? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (5,710 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Re: Firmware 4.00 getting stuck at 99%

Hi Tsoppannos, 

Welcome to the forums!

Just to confirm you attempted to install the system software from a USB storage device?

If so you can try running through the options in Safe Mode to correct the corruption on your HDD.

A guide to using Safe Mode on the PS3 can be found HERE

SFZ

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (5,695 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi there, thank you

Yes, I used a 6GB Usb stick with firmware 4.00 and now i've come across a new problem i get this message (8002f281) which probably has to do with a corrupted HDD, I can enter safe mode and everything but no option is really helping me i've tried them all.

At this moment i have removed the HDD from the PS3 and plugged it to my PC to reformat it, and then try again maybe this would erease any trace of corruption.

I will let you know how it went

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (5,672 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

So the HDD format went good and i insterted it back to the PS3.
The PS3 formated it again and then started to install the 4.00 firmware.

Now i have this installation screen

"Installing...
Do not turn off the system.

After the install operation has completed, the system will automatically restart." 

Once again its at 99% and it seems to be stuck, so far its been there for 1 hour 
The firmware i have is 4.00 which i downloaded from the official website doesnt seem to be any later edition that i can download either. And the PS3 system wants 4.00 or higher.

Well i will probably leave this installation progress for a few hours incase that would do it. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (5,664 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Hi.

I remember having this exact problem a few weeks back.

I tried formatting the hard drive using the hidden features on the ps3 and even on the pc and it still got stuck on 99% I even put a brand new hard drive in and still no luck.

I decided to phone Sony helpline and all they suggested was that I try the hidden feature way and after explaining to them that I had done this they told me that the PS3 was stuck in a loop and it needed to be sent to them to be repaired.

Luckily I had only had my PS3 for about 2 weeks so I was told to take it back to GAME and have it replaced free of charge.

Give Sony a phone they may have some new ideas now, if not I'm affraid your PS3 is broke.

PSN ID - SteelMinds

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (5,658 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
  1. Restore File System

Enter Safe Mode and select "Restore File System". "Restore File System" will attempt to repair damaged files on the hard drive. If this does not work, try the next step.

2. Rebuild Database

Enter Safe Mode and select "Rebuild Data Base". "Rebuild Data Base" will erase messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information. Then attempt to rebuild the PlayStation 3 database. The content that is erased will not be recoverable. If this doesn't work, try the next step.

3. Restore PS3 System

Please note this will erase all content on the hard drive and will not be recoverable.

Enter Safe Mode and select "Restore PS3 System". "Restore PS3 System" will restore the default settings and will format the hard drive. If this doesn't work, try the next step.

4. Re-seat the hard drive
    1. If you have replaced the hard drive in the PlayStation 3, make sure it was installed properly. If the hard drive is not seated correctly, it may cause problems.
  5. Try another hard drive (if possible)

There may be an issue with the hard drive that is installed. Try replacing the hard drive with another one.

If all of the above options do not work then there may be a physical fault with your PlayStation 3 system, in this case please contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.

SFZ

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (5,650 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

SteelMinds wrote:

Hi.

I remember having this exact problem a few weeks back.

I tried formatting the hard drive using the hidden features on the ps3 and even on the pc and it still got stuck on 99% I even put a brand new hard drive in and still no luck.

I decided to phone Sony helpline and all they suggested was that I try the hidden feature way and after explaining to them that I had done this they told me that the PS3 was stuck in a loop and it needed to be sent to them to be repaired.

Luckily I had only had my PS3 for about 2 weeks so I was told to take it back to GAME and have it replaced free of charge.

Give Sony a phone they may have some new ideas now, if not I'm affraid your PS3 is broke.

PSN ID - SteelMinds

So someone at SONY has finally admitted firmware updates can cause problems? (the 360 has an error message for such a thing (ive had it twice - Yet MS deny it can cause problems ..lol..Someone should tell the update error message.)

Seeing as you say ,you changed the HDD - This rules that out.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (5,636 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Alright its finally solved.

I took my 120gb 2.5 HDD from my broken laptop and tried to format it for my PS3, it worked out well
So the problem is that theres a broken sector in the original 320gb PS3 HDD.
It appears that the PS3 is more sensitive to broken sectors then my PC.

Cause i can use the 320gb as a external or internal HDD either FAT32 or NTFS but on the PS3 something gets messed. But im not sure what kind of Format the PS3 is using maybe thats problem with the sensitivity. Everytime i formated my HDD i formated it to NTFS and the PS3 Reformated it.

Hope this helps for anyone facing same troubles

@Tooms lol, funny that most people working at either Sony or MS are unexperienced. I prefer 360 tho its runs so much smoother these days and im thinking of getting one.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (5,618 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi SFZ

I have the same problem but on the 4.10. The PS3 gets stuck at 99%. I have tryed to get into Safe Mode by following the procedures, but when PS3 restarts it always begin the update and get stuck at 99%. And so it keeps on.....

The update file has been downloaded by the PS3 to the harddisk from Sony.

I hope you can help. Before the this update, the PS3 SLIM 320 GB was running like a dream.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (5,583 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Hi MALIK-first,

Have you tried all of the steps in my post above?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (5,568 Views)
0 Kudos