23 Apr 2007

Playstation Staff

Flashing Power Light

12 Replies 962 Views Created 23-04-2007
Hi folks:Thumbs:

Got my new PS3 on Friday, and by Sunday it was knacked:eek:

Got the power light flashing and will only boot up partially before freezing, so done some searching on here and i came to the conclusion that it might be the HDD drive connection, as it certainly wasn't anything to do with heat.

Will i remove it or not, thats what a was scared of incase it void the Sony warrenty, but being in IT myself i thought well if Sony have made it so simple to change/upgrade then it should be ok.

So out it went, fires the PS3 up at least i got some sound so that was progress, then got the error message on screen. Turned it off, put the HDD back in, and hey presto! It came back up fine, phew:smileyvery-happy:

So now back in business!

Cheers

Andrew
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Flashing Power Light

Glad to hear it's all OK.

As an additional note, what you did was fine. Removing the HDD will not void warranty.:Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the reply:Thumbs:

Well, the PS3 packed in again, only lasted for few hours, so onto the phone to Sony help line.

Very helpfull folks, getting a replacement sent out today, no ifs or buts just people wanting to get you sorted out. Not had customer support like that for years!

So my advice, don't hingith aboot, get straight onto the phone:smileyvery-happy:

Andrew
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I might have similar problems. I bought mine PS3 on 15.10. Of course I had to play with it and make accounts and dl demos. Then I wanted to use my PS3 for greater good and I installed folding and started calculate things. Well I left PS3 to calculate and I left to work. When I came from work I noticed that red led was blinking and there were no picture on TV. So I clicked power button and powered up my PS3 and it was fine. I googled stuff and found that blinking can related to heat problems so I instantly shutdowned PS3 and change it spot so it has more room and space around it. But it didnt help. It has "crashed" or whatever you can call it couple times after changing spot and always when using folding. Result is always same: blinking red led.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Keep in mind about the enviroment your ps3 is in. Is the room too hot, is it near something else giving off heat? OR, and this is sometimes the case, is the enviroment really dusty? Because dust can get into the 'grills' and stop the fans functioning properly. You should vacuum the grills at least once a month.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

How long did you play on it for approximately before that light started flashing?

PSN, XBL & Steam : andyarcha

Twitter

YouTube

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I might have similar problems. I bought mine PS3 on 15.10. Of course I had to play with it and make accounts and dl demos.

Then I wanted to use my PS3 for greater good and I installed folding and started calculate things. Well I left PS3 to calculate and I left to work. When I came from work I noticed that red led was blinking and there were no picture on TV. So I clicked power button and powered up my PS3 and it was fine. I googled stuff and found that blinking can related to heat problems so I instantly shutdowned PS3 and change it spot so it has more room and space around it.

But it didnt help. It has "crashed" or whatever you can call it couple times after changing spot and always when using folding. Result is always same: blinking red led.

Don't waste time, and get straight onto the Sony Helpline, you'll have a replacement by Wednesday at the latest, very helpfull staff they'll bend over backwards to help you.

Andy
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Well I dont think dust is reason. Just like I said my PS3 is less than week old so it shouldnt be related to heat. What comes the place where my PS3 stands. It isnt near any other electronic devices which could affect and it has sufficient amount of empty space around the PS3. And room temperature is normal (around 20-22 celsius) so it should be problem.

andyarcha: Well it hasnt started blinking while I'm playing. It has only happened when I had left PS3 folding for long period of time. I'm talking 6+ hours. Time varies.

Today I did what AndyTT described in his first post. After that I put PS3 folding. Now I'm monitoring situation. If it starts blinking then next step is that I call Sony support line and get my PS3 fixed.

It is strange that nowhere isnt described what to do if some reason PS3 is automatically turned off and it is only blinking red led. Manual says that if system is overheated it will blink red and green light.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Well good luck, the problem you describe is what i had, and it started on the second of ownership.

Sometimes it could run for a few hours, other times within 20 mins. Don't know the cause, but it is heat related internally. Folding at home is very processor intensive and can make many problems show up.

Goodluck

Andy
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (962 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I came on here tonight to report this! I got up in the morning to find my ps3 red standby light flashing. I panicked, pressed the on button and it went to red. 5 minutes later when sorted out the kids, I turned it on and it was fine except I had to sync the controller again. Not sure what is going on?

Also had the HDMI I problem. I tried everything and it wasent until I got on the forum and someone had posted to hold on to standy for 5 secs and it will reset the HDMI. It worked, so thanks guys much appreiciated.

I would like to find out why it was flashing though, was scarey as I have stored all my photos of late on the hd, so dont want to lose them!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (963 Views)
0 Kudos