Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 171

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
15 Sep 2009
By BoatMisser

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress

HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

78 Replies 15,790 Views Created 15-09-2009
15 Sep 2009
By BoatMisser

My ps3 won't read BD disks (since a game froze after the 3.0 update - coincidence?) and I'm not convinced its a hardware issue.

 

Some similar issues by people posting on various forums have been resolved by going to the recovery menu and choosing Restore File System option.

 

Only thais doesn't work for me, which makes it more likely that it might be a hardware error, however I am still not convinced because when I use the Restore File System option it tells me my hard disk's file system is corrupt and it will repair it, makes sense. However whenever I use the option it says the same thing, even if I restore the file system and then return directly to the recovery menu and do it again. I even tried it with a brand new HDD and it still says the file system is corrupt. 

 

Does anyone know how/what the ps3 "Restores the file System" does (does it restore from firmware etc) only it seems to me that the source of the restoration must be corrupt.

 

I have a 40GB PS3 currently running update 3.0. I updated today in the hope that it might help,and it did read a BD briefly but then it froze and I was back to square one.

0 Kudos
Reply
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
Mine is a 60GB model too, but a refurb.

OP, what model was yours?
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

Sorry to hear that guys.

 

Mines a 40GB about 18 months old now so out of warranty. I've also looked after it, kept it clean, vents are clear etc.

Also I have NEVER shut it down abruptly (rear switch or socket), even when my games started to freeze I managed it get it to shut down from the front touch button.

 

James91 and phatpidgeon have either of you tried Restore File System from the startup recovery menu. I would be interested in knowing if you have the same symptom is myself:

 

Start in recovery/safe mode

Select 3 Recover File System

PS3 says the HDD is corrupt

PS3 restores file system

Recovery completes (xmb is displayed)

Immediately repeat the above

PS3 still says the HDD is corrupt

 

No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD.

 

It looks to me, and the sony service guy agreed (after talking to a techy), that the master version of the file system is itself corrupt, they thought it might have happened during the download of 3.0, that even though it seemed successful the download somehow introduced a bug (they still want me to fork out £128 for a replacement though)

 

So if either of you get a chance to try the above process let me know if it show's the same symptom.

 

My concern is that although it looks like a hardware problem, with the file system seemingly permanently corrupt I'm not convinced, and if it is a hardware problem now I don't think it was to start with. If only I could reset to factory defaults or rollback the firmware most of my questions might be answered.

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

T-e-X

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

James91 wrote:
Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.

but m8 does your system say this ??

 

"No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD."

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:
Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.

but m8 does your system say this ??

 

"No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD."


Why would my PS3 tell me that? :|
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

T-e-X

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

James91 wrote:

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:
Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.

but m8 does your system say this ??

 

"No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD."


Why would my PS3 tell me that? :|

"says the HDD is corrupt." when you are doing a system rebuild..

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 09:48 PM
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution
Whn you perform a File System Restore does the PS3 always report that your HDD is corrupt even if you've just restored it?
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

T-e-X

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

BoatMisser wrote:
Whn you perform a File System Restore does the PS3 always report that your HDD is corrupt even if you've just restored it?

yes m8!!!! same deal as you!.... tried everything.... new HDD, Full format, System rebuild, still nothing / and the system says HDD is corrupt all time...

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 09:52 PM
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
I thought 3.01 had fixed my BD drive as it played Resistance 2 earlier but now it's back to not detecting discs at all.

It's quite *****e.
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

James91

When I first updated to 3.01 I had a very brief ray of hope, not only had my ps3 detected my BD disk but it got past the black screen of previous attempts and as far as the initial loading screen, unfortunately thats where the hope ray turned into a death ray and my PS3 once again couldn't even detect a disk.

 

Could you do us a favour and run the option 3 Restore File System from the recovery menu again and see if it says your hdd is corrupt. If it does, once its restored please do it again and let us know if you are consistently geting the corrupted HDD message that myself and T-e-X are gettin.

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:
Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.

but m8 does your system say this ??

 

"No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD."


Why would my PS3 tell me that? :|

"says the HDD is corrupt." when you are doing a system rebuild..

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 09:48 PM

Oh right, na, not got the corrupt message, though I only did the rebuild one time.
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

Addition to my previous post...

 

I should add that the first time my game froze and my PS3 stopped reading BDs I did a full PS3 restore and it did fix the problem briefly, it started reading BDs again. However it wasn't long (about 30 - 40 minutes) into a game that the game froze again. Once the game froze my PS3 stopped reading BDs. After a second restore it seemed to read the BD but wouldn't load, just froze on a black screen, once back to the xmb my PS3 couldn't even recognise that a disk was in the slot. All further restores proved fruitless and my system remains unable to read BDs and its File System seems permanently stuffed.

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

T-e-X

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

BoatMisser wrote:

Addition to my previous post...

 

I should add that the first time my game froze and my PS3 stopped reading BDs I did a full PS3 restore and it did fix the problem briefly, it started reading BDs again. However it wasn't long (about 30 - 40 minutes) into a game that the game froze again. Once the game froze my PS3 stopped reading BDs. After a second restore it seemed to read the BD but wouldn't load, just froze on a black screen, once back to the xmb my PS3 couldn't even recognise that a disk was in the slot. All further restores proved fruitless and my system remains unable to read BDs and its File System seems permanently stuffed.


m8 i think we hit the nail on the head with that system rebuild corrupt (info).... now just to get the msg to techsupport by Sony...

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution
T-e-X, when I mentioned it on the phone they agreed that it seems likely that's the problem but their response was something must have gone wrong/interfered during the download/install and that I have to have it replaced. Not exactly the response I was hoping for. Not sure what else I can do.
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

T-e-X

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

BoatMisser wrote:
T-e-X, when I mentioned it on the phone they agreed that it seems likely that's the problem but their response was something must have gone wrong/interfered during the download/install and that I have to have it replaced. Not exactly the response I was hoping for. Not sure what else I can do.

Im with you on that m8.... heres the problem if they say yes we know that with the new FW2.80 we have tottaly rebuild the firmware do to the new ps3slim(hardware)/ new components. Then they have to give all free repairs/ not going to happen.... heres where it goes wrong, the new ps3slim`s blu-ray have 3years newer hardware, then the drives we got in the 60Gb / 40Gb... now then we have to bios-flash the drive to bring the drive up to date...  if you do this with a disc in the drive and you flash the bios... then 9out10 will have some sort of corrupted bios-flash on the drive.."exsample my dvd-burner updatet the firmware with a disc inside, now it dont burn dvd`s or read any dvd`s or whatever...

 

and beside.. sony have to give a respons to why the system stats it corrupted.... :|

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 10:08 PM
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

Thats why you were wondering if the update flashed the blue ray bios, I did wonder, and if that was the case a warning to eject any disks would have been nice.

 

And the only response I got to why my system keeps on saying its corrupted was that a bug or something (the guy even  mentioned a virus) must have piggybacked the download and done somthing to corrupt the hardware the master files reside in. Didn't make much sense to me, however it didn't seem to matter to them the cause just that the only way to fix it would be a replacement.

 

Course at the time I hadn't heard of anyone else having the corrupted file system issue as well as the BD playback problem and anyway the service guy said the issues were completely new to him even said he'd checked his mail updates to see if anyone had reported something similar but no one had, the tech guy he talked to (or said he talked to) hadn't heard anything like it either. 

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

T-e-X

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

BoatMisser wrote:

Thats why you were wondering if the update flashed the blue ray bios, I did wonder, and if that was the case a warning to eject any disks would have been nice.

 

And the only response I got to why my system keeps on saying its corrupted was that a bug or something (the guy even  mentioned a virus) must have piggybacked the download and done somthing to corrupt the hardware the master files reside in. Didn't make much sense to me, however it didn't seem to matter to them the cause just that the only way to fix it would be a replacement.

 

Course at the time I hadn't heard of anyone else having the corrupted file system issue as well as the BD playback problem and anyway the service guy said the issues were completely new to him even said he'd checked his mail updates to see if anyone had reported something similar but no one had, the tech guy he talked to (or said he talked to) hadn't heard anything like it either. 


Okay m8 heres my take on this, / and how we get the msg to them...... i live in Denmark / Sony`s apartment is run by a other company called (Nordish movie company) it cost ruffly £1 a minute to call them:Argh::xCry: ... now then if i clearyfie my statement with the bios flash / add some other quotes to this thread (of users with blu-ray dead drives that has come back to live after FW update from around 1yeah ago...) then if you could call them tomorrow maybe get that guy`s email / the tech guy.. and then link him to this thread...!.. maybe thats the way to do it what do you thing m8...?!?? 

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

Yeah I'll give it a go, nothing to lose. At least now I know there's at least one other with the same symptoms.

 

Theres a fair few threads floating about regarding not playing BDs though.

 

Oh and I tried one last thing, in case they ask, downloading the 3.01 update to my PC and installing via a USB drive.

No luck.

 

Hopefully we can at least get them to consider the issue as something more than a freak isolated incident.

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
04
/16

Omnitesshu

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
90%
04 Rank
Progress
Omnitesshu
Accepted Solution

my blu-ray drive packed in on sunday and wouldn't pick up any games. i didn't try any other type of disc, but tonight i tried a dvd and it was picked up first time. i had a thought, so put in a blu-ray game then did the file restore. once everything had restored and the xmb was up, i ejected the game then re-inserted it and bingo! the drive picked it up!

 

i don't know how long this will last but try doing it with a blu-ray in the drive.

 

EDIT: just to add, when i chose option 3 it said the file system was corrupt. i think it always displays this message though.

Message Edited by Omnitesshu on 16-09-2009 02:24 AM
0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

[ Edited ]
X-Box 360 - so called because during testing, every console overheated and burst into flames at 360ºF psychological priming

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

Good luck with that hope it works for you.

 

My PS3 will sometimes detect a BD, sometimes just shutting it down and restarting it will make it detect BD disks again. However playing them is something else. 

 

Sometimes the screen just goes black, other times I get a brief glimpse of a loading screen, either way once the "freeze" occurs my system stops even detecting disks, sometimes for ages other times just until I eject the disk and put it back in. 

Keep getting my hopes up every time it detects a BD but always dashed when I try to play 'em

 

Heres a question for anyone hat knows Blue Ray tech, do BD players use the Blue Ray for all content on a BD or just the movie, I ask because when I tried my Ghostbusters BD movie it did allow me to install the theme that came with the it, no luck playing the movie though.

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

BoatMisser

  • Offline
55%
02 Rank
Progress
BoatMisser
Accepted Solution

T-e-X (and anyone else interested)

 

Talked to the Sony service center again:

 

No luck getting a hold of a techy, the service guy said that no direct contact to engineer was allowed, and couldn't give out any contact details etc.

 

Mentioned that several other people were having identical or very similar issues, no comment on that one.

 

Asked about the possibility of the Blue Ray drive being flashed during the update and was told that doesn't happen.

 

Asked about the possibility of the update causing some kind of hardware issue and was told categorically that a firmware update could not cause any such hardware issues.

 

When I question it being a hardware issue at all (i.e.. See my previous post about reading "static" content e.g.. a Theme) I was told that it couldn't be software either the drive or the PS3 motherboard had to be faulty and unrepairable.

 

Basically I was told to just suck it up and pay out for a refurbished console, though not in those exact words, he was a little more poilte than that.

 

0 Kudos

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel