Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: HELP - 3. Restore File System doesn't seem to be working

Sorry to hear that guys.

Mines a 40GB about 18 months old now so out of warranty. I've also looked after it, kept it clean, vents are clear etc.

Also I have NEVER shut it down abruptly (rear switch or socket), even when my games started to freeze I managed it get it to shut down from the front touch button.

James91 and phatpidgeon have either of you tried Restore File System from the startup recovery menu. I would be interested in knowing if you have the same symptom is myself:

Start in recovery/safe mode

Select 3 Recover File System

PS3 says the HDD is corrupt

PS3 restores file system

Recovery completes (xmb is displayed)

Immediately repeat the above

PS3 still says the HDD is corrupt

No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD.

It looks to me, and the sony service guy agreed (after talking to a techy), that the master version of the file system is itself corrupt, they thought it might have happened during the download of 3.0, that even though it seemed successful the download somehow introduced a bug (they still want me to fork out £128 for a replacement though)

So if either of you get a chance to try the above process let me know if it show's the same symptom.

My concern is that although it looks like a hardware problem, with the file system seemingly permanently corrupt I'm not convinced, and if it is a hardware problem now I don't think it was to start with. If only I could reset to factory defaults or rollback the firmware most of my questions might be answered.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 79 (5,613 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 79 (5,602 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

James91 wrote:
Yeah that I've done that Recover File System thing and it made no difference to me.

but m8 does your system say this ??

"No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD."

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 79 (5,600 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Addition to my previous post...

I should add that the first time my game froze and my PS3 stopped reading BDs I did a full PS3 restore and it did fix the problem briefly, it started reading BDs again. However it wasn't long (about 30 - 40 minutes) into a game that the game froze again. Once the game froze my PS3 stopped reading BDs. After a second restore it seemed to read the BD but wouldn't load, just froze on a black screen, once back to the xmb my PS3 couldn't even recognise that a disk was in the slot. All further restores proved fruitless and my system remains unable to read BDs and its File System seems permanently stuffed.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 79 (5,598 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:

"No matter how I restore my system, as above or as complete format and restore, if I go back to the recovery menu and choose option 3 restore file system it always says the HDD is corrupt. It even does this with a brand new previously unused HDD."

Why would my PS3 tell me that? :smileyindifferent:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 79 (5,593 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

BoatMisser wrote:

Addition to my previous post...

I should add that the first time my game froze and my PS3 stopped reading BDs I did a full PS3 restore and it did fix the problem briefly, it started reading BDs again. However it wasn't long (about 30 - 40 minutes) into a game that the game froze again. Once the game froze my PS3 stopped reading BDs. After a second restore it seemed to read the BD but wouldn't load, just froze on a black screen, once back to the xmb my PS3 couldn't even recognise that a disk was in the slot. All further restores proved fruitless and my system remains unable to read BDs and its File System seems permanently stuffed.

m8 i think we hit the nail on the head with that system rebuild corrupt (info).... now just to get the msg to techsupport by Sony...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 79 (5,592 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

James91 wrote:

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:

"says the HDD is corrupt." when you are doing a system rebuild..

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 09:48 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 79 (5,589 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Whn you perform a File System Restore does the PS3 always report that your HDD is corrupt even if you've just restored it?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 79 (5,584 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:

T-e-X wrote:

James91 wrote:

"says the HDD is corrupt." when you are doing a system rebuild..

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 09:48 PM

Oh right, na, not got the corrupt message, though I only did the rebuild one time.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 79 (5,583 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

BoatMisser wrote:
Whn you perform a File System Restore does the PS3 always report that your HDD is corrupt even if you've just restored it?

yes m8!!!! same deal as you!.... tried everything.... new HDD, Full format, System rebuild, still nothing / and the system says HDD is corrupt all time...

Message Edited by T-e-X on 15-09-2009 09:52 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 79 (5,578 Views)
0 Kudos