16 Sep 2010

Playstation Staff

Hard Disk File System Corrupted

5 Replies 1,499 Views Created 16-09-2010

Hi - can anyone help please? I switched on my PS3 this morning and the following error came up -

'Hard Disks File System is corrupted and will be restored' I then press X  and the restore begins but once it reaches 100% it goes back to the same error.....Help!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (1,499 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Hard Disk File System Corrupted

What PS3 do you have??? the old phat or the new slim??? How have you been turning it off??? correct way by selecting turn off on the xmb or the switch on the back (phat) or at the wall??

If its the new slim how long have you had it?? if under a year I would call sony and get them to sort it under warranty

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (1,497 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Its the slim one. I got it in December last year. I turn it off at the wall. Didnt really want to send it back to Sony, as I heard it can take weeks to get it back.... :-( Thanks for your reply

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (1,487 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

it sounds like you corrupted the HDD by not switching off correctly - the same kind of thing as a PC.

As you only had it in december I would say phone Sony and speak to them as it is still under warranty, the downside to this is you will lose your game saves. All DLC you can get again through your download list on the xmb

The Phone Numer for Playstation Customer Service is 0844 7360595 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              0844 7360595    

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (1,484 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

SOMETIMES (not always), it is possible to get out of this loop - as long as the HDD isn't completely trashed...

You can either try forcing it into safe boot mode, and taking option 3, and then 4 (see below for more detail), or if that doesn't work, move on to...
with the PS3 fully turned off, remove the HDD (this doesn't affect the warranty, as you don't touch the warranty sticker)
turn PS3 on, and wait for it to complain about no HDD
turn PS3 off
put HDD back in
turn PS3 on.

safe boot mode, option 3 - see link below, but be sure to read about the implications of choosing the wrong option.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

Note that occasionally, a second safe boot may be required, choosing option 4 this time.
Option 4 WILL remove some (less vital) stuff - see above link for details.

Backup of game saves are always a good idea though, just in case.
You have 2 options - individual saves to usb stick, or a full backup to external usb HDD

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (1,474 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the advice. I tried going into safe mode but couldnt manage it. Rang Sony Helpline (thanks for the number) they tried the same thing, then just replaced the unit. Have to say, their customer service is fantastic! Rang one evening, courier arrived the next morning with a replacement! Fingers crossed this one will be ok. Thanks again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (1,438 Views)
0 Kudos