25 Oct 2008
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Hard Grade upgrade problem (No applicable update data was found)

31 Replies 27,786 Views Created 25-10-2008
I'm trying to upgrade to my PS3 to a 250 gigabyte hard drive, by I'm having some problem with the installation.  Can anyone help me solve this problem. 
I've fitted the drive, turned the system on and connected the controller.  Then I get this message on the screen.

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Please press the PS button to try the system.  If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition hard disc must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains the update data of version 2.50 or late, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain upgrade data, refer to SCE Web site for your region."
I insert a CD-R containing the latest update 2.50 ( PS3UPDAT.PUP ) which I downloaded from http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/download/ .
CD-R contains a folder called PS3 in that folder there's another folder called UPDATE which contains the file PS3UPDAT.PUP .
The CD-R has been finalised so that it can be read by any computer.
When I press the SELECT and START button at the same time.
I get a message

"Checking... Please wait."

then this message

"No applicable update data was found.  Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.50 or late and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time."

Any ideas?
I live in the UK
I have 80 GB  PS3 (UK model)
installing hard drive: Hitachi 250 GB SATA 2.5 dive model: HTS54255K9SA00
Mark

click here

Evil Kneivel might be a legend, but when I die I just dust myself down and get back on my bike!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 32 (27,786 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Hard Grade upgrade problem (No applicable update data was found)

you've done everything right,but may I suggest you try doing this with USB pen drive instead , works 100% for me,and I've done 12 so for friends etc
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 32 (27,758 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Thank you, but I have tried this using one of these Kingston sticks drives and also tried my PSP in USB mode and had the same problem.

Even worse, when I put the original 80 GB hard drive back in I get just get a back screen, so I might have destroyed the original drive.

Mark

click here

Evil Kneivel might be a legend, but when I die I just dust myself down and get back on my bike!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 32 (27,744 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

my usb stick is a 1gig disgo lite cheapo from PC World, but I made sure, using my PC, that the folders the PS3 needs are right in front of all other data ( got my game saves on it too )so might be worth checking where your usb drives has the PS3 folders ? if you need a 80gig hdd, pm me as I have a spare you can have
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 32 (27,729 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

when i upgraded my harddrive the ps3 done all the work then i think i just went to xmb screen then hit download update:Confused:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 32 (27,696 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am having the exact same problem as Forever Shaky.

I have bought a Samsung HM302JI (320gb/5400rpm/8m)

I have contacted the helpline but to be honest they were not very helpful. I have spoken to them over 4 times and felt like they were always reading from a script, slight different every time.

So Anyway!

So on their advice I have formatted the hard drive to FAT32, using my PC. Still the Playstation 3 came up with the same as above.

They finally have advised me, to speak to the supplier as it must be faulty. The supplier states there is nothing wrong with it as I have formatted to FAT32 and works find on PC.  

Has anyone found a way around this or solved the problem

Please help

(PS – if  no one has solution and I have in fact, bought the wrong hard drive! Please can some one recommend a hard drive (make and model) that definitely works, 250gb+)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 32 (27,662 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

!Answer Found!

Please ignore last post!

After some more searching I found a post which recommended this video on you tube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cigVRvQ_PFQ

It is called “How to change your PS3 hdd part 2”

Step by step guide to sort this out!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 32 (27,655 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

D1CD0C wrote:   

After some more searching I found a post which recommended this video on you tube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cigVRvQ_PFQ

Step by step guide to sort this out!

I still have the same problem, but now thanks to the video I can see that I'm not getting the option to format the hard drive.

So will I have to format it on a computer instead?

Message Edited by ForeverShaky on 28-10-2008 12:07 AM
Mark

click here

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 32 (27,640 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi I had the same problem when you save http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/download/ .to your CDR/pen drive/MP3 whatever storage device, what you need to do first is create a file called PS3 in that folder create a folder called UPDATE then save the it to that then it should work and ask you to format the new drive worked for me now running a 320Gb drive,

good luck and let us know how you get on.

remember second is the first loser 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 32 (27,591 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

zachary-swan wrote:

.... what you need to do first is create a file called PS3 in that folder create a folder called UPDATE then save the it to that then it should work and ask you to format the new drive worked for me now running a 320Gb drive,

good luck and let us know how you get on.

remember second is the first loser 

Which is what I did.

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

But I think the problem relates to the harddrive.

Message Edited by ForeverShaky on 01-11-2008 09:23 PM
Mark

click here

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 32 (27,570 Views)
0 Kudos