ForeverShaky

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Hard Grade upgrade problem (No applicable update data was found)

31 Replies 28,374 Views Created 25-10-2008
I'm trying to upgrade to my PS3 to a 250 gigabyte hard drive, by I'm having some problem with the installation.  Can anyone help me solve this problem. 
I've fitted the drive, turned the system on and connected the controller.  Then I get this message on the screen.

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Please press the PS button to try the system.  If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition hard disc must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains the update data of version 2.50 or late, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain upgrade data, refer to SCE Web site for your region."
I insert a CD-R containing the latest update 2.50 ( PS3UPDAT.PUP ) which I downloaded from http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/download/ .
CD-R contains a folder called PS3 in that folder there's another folder called UPDATE which contains the file PS3UPDAT.PUP .
The CD-R has been finalised so that it can be read by any computer.
When I press the SELECT and START button at the same time.
I get a message

"Checking... Please wait."

then this message

"No applicable update data was found.  Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.50 or late and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time."

Any ideas?
I live in the UK
I have 80 GB  PS3 (UK model)
installing hard drive: Hitachi 250 GB SATA 2.5 dive model: HTS54255K9SA00
0 Kudos
LABELS:
Mark

click here

Evil Kneivel might be a legend, but when I die I just dust myself down and get back on my bike!

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

ForeverShaky

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ForeverShaky
Accepted Solution

ForeverShaky wrote:
I'm trying to upgrade to my PS3 to a 250 gigabyte hard drive, by I'm having some problem with the installation.  Can anyone help me solve this problem. 
I've fitted the drive, turned the system on and connected the controller.  Then I get this message on the screen.

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Please press the PS button to try the system.  If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition hard disc must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains the update data of version 2.50 or late, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.
For information on how to obtain upgrade data, refer to SCE Web site for your region."
I insert a CD-R containing the latest update 2.50 ( PS3UPDAT.PUP ) which I downloaded from http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/download/ .
CD-R contains a folder called PS3 in that folder there's another folder called UPDATE which contains the file PS3UPDAT.PUP .
The CD-R has been finalised so that it can be read by any computer.
When I press the SELECT and START button at the same time.
I get a message

"Checking... Please wait."

then this message

"No applicable update data was found.  Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.50 or late and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time."

Any ideas?

I live in the UK
I have 80 GB  PS3 (UK model)
installing hard drive: Hitachi 250 GB SATA 2.5 dive model: HTS54255K9SA00

I've resolved the problem.  My PS3 didn't recognise the hard drive, so I bought myself a hard drive caddy, connected the hard drive to my PC using a USB lead and reformatted it in FAT32 using SwissKnife.  This time when I tried to install the software on the PS3 it asked me to format the hard drive, and everything is fine now.  I now have a 250 GB PS3 :Thumbs:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Hard Grade upgrade problem (No applicable update data was found)

Mark

click here

Evil Kneivel might be a legend, but when I die I just dust myself down and get back on my bike!

/16

zrerz

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zrerz
Accepted Solution
you've done everything right,but may I suggest you try doing this with USB pen drive instead , works 100% for me,and I've done 12 so for friends etc
0 Kudos

/16

ForeverShaky

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ForeverShaky
Accepted Solution

Thank you, but I have tried this using one of these Kingston sticks drives and also tried my PSP in USB mode and had the same problem.

Even worse, when I put the original 80 GB hard drive back in I get just get a back screen, so I might have destroyed the original drive.

0 Kudos

Mark

click here

/16

zrerz

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zrerz
Accepted Solution
my usb stick is a 1gig disgo lite cheapo from PC World, but I made sure, using my PC, that the folders the PS3 needs are right in front of all other data ( got my game saves on it too )so might be worth checking where your usb drives has the PS3 folders ? if you need a 80gig hdd, pm me as I have a spare you can have
0 Kudos

/16

bowde001

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bowde001
Accepted Solution
when i upgraded my harddrive the ps3 done all the work then i think i just went to xmb screen then hit download update
0 Kudos

/16

D1CD0C

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
D1CD0C
Accepted Solution

I am having the exact same problem as Forever Shaky.

I have bought a Samsung HM302JI (320gb/5400rpm/8m)

I have contacted the helpline but to be honest they were not very helpful. I have spoken to them over 4 times and felt like they were always reading from a script, slight different every time.

So Anyway!

So on their advice I have formatted the hard drive to FAT32, using my PC. Still the Playstation 3 came up with the same as above.

They finally have advised me, to speak to the supplier as it must be faulty. The supplier states there is nothing wrong with it as I have formatted to FAT32 and works find on PC.  

Has anyone found a way around this or solved the problem

Please help

(PS – if  no one has solution and I have in fact, bought the wrong hard drive! Please can some one recommend a hard drive (make and model) that definitely works, 250gb+)

Thanks

0 Kudos

/16

D1CD0C

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
D1CD0C
Accepted Solution

!Answer Found!

Please ignore last post!

After some more searching I found a post which recommended this video on you tube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cigVRvQ_PFQ

It is called “How to change your PS3 hdd part 2”

Step by step guide to sort this out!

0 Kudos

/16

ForeverShaky

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ForeverShaky
Accepted Solution

D1CD0C wrote:   

After some more searching I found a post which recommended this video on you tube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cigVRvQ_PFQ

Step by step guide to sort this out!

I still have the same problem, but now thanks to the video I can see that I'm not getting the option to format the hard drive.

So will I have to format it on a computer instead?

Message Edited by ForeverShaky on 28-10-2008 12:07 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Mark

click here

/16

zachary-swan

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zachary-swan
Accepted Solution

Hi I had the same problem when you save http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/download/ .to your CDR/pen drive/MP3 whatever storage device, what you need to do first is create a file called PS3 in that folder create a folder called UPDATE then save the it to that then it should work and ask you to format the new drive worked for me now running a 320Gb drive,

good luck and let us know how you get on.

remember second is the first loser 

0 Kudos

/16

ForeverShaky

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ForeverShaky
Accepted Solution

zachary-swan wrote:

.... what you need to do first is create a file called PS3 in that folder create a folder called UPDATE then save the it to that then it should work and ask you to format the new drive worked for me now running a 320Gb drive,

good luck and let us know how you get on.

remember second is the first loser 

Which is what I did.

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

But I think the problem relates to the harddrive.

Message Edited by ForeverShaky on 01-11-2008 09:23 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Mark

click here

/16

ITF-GUV

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ITF-GUV
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem and i resolved it thanks to Zachary-Swans Post :D cheers mate.

0 Kudos

/16

BPJ1980

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BPJ1980
Accepted Solution

Holy Crap, Zachary-Swan you are a legend mate, did the HDD update and just couldnt get past this point, even put my old HDD in and it wouldnt work, until i read that post, now the new HDD is in and i am formatting / setting it up. Legend, huge thank you to all who have posted.

0 Kudos

/16

binafeef

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
binafeef
Accepted Solution

today i did upgrade my HD to 500GB and its working fine

Thanks D1CD0C for the Link:manvery-happy:

0 Kudos

/16

hwall

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hwall
Accepted Solution

Thanks to all the advice given in these threads, successfully upgraded my PS3 Slim 120GB drive to a 500GB drive.

I had same problem with PS3 system not offering to format the drive, but thanks to the advice on this forum, placing the downloaded update in a folder marked UPDATE inside a folder marked PS3 solved the problem. I used a 1GB USB key formatted FAT32. The hard disk was a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB SATA 8MB Cache which according to amazon was described as PS3 compatible.

I didn't need to pre-format the hard disk before formatting in the PS3, although I guess if pre-formatting solves gets it working then clearly it's worth trying.

Other issues encountered were, the screws in the drive caddy are tiny but very tight to undo. A tiny screwdriver does not give enough leverage, a large screwdriver not smaller enough head and liable to damage screw head. Solution was to use medium size screwdriver with pair of plyers for leverage.

Now have 421 GB of space.

Best of luck

Andy

0 Kudos

/16

gusbradbury

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gusbradbury
Accepted Solution

Many Thanks.  I had exactly the same problem, now fixed with the help of your post.

0 Kudos

/16

lokiteddy

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lokiteddy
Accepted Solution

you man are a genius, you helped me after changing out my 320gb  and you saved a ps3 from being thrown through a window

0 Kudos

/16

ashley24769

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ashley24769
Accepted Solution

Hi, I tried what the video said and it worked perfectly.  thank you !!!

ps3 fat, western digital 500gb

0 Kudos

/16

JNEWBOULD

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JNEWBOULD
Accepted Solution

anybody done this on the latest update of the playstaion 3.  I have a 40GB drive version and i have put in a new 250GB drive used swissknife to create the drive and it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

JNEWBOULD wrote:

anybody done this on the latest update of the playstaion 3.  I have a 40GB drive version and i have put in a new 250GB drive used swissknife to create the drive and it still doesn't work.

Any more detail please?

Is the PS3 not recognising the HDD, or the USB which you put the firmware on?

0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

iron_maiden_777

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iron_maiden_777
Accepted Solution

Man I love you guys, ForeverShaky and zrerz (in a totally hetro way)... you really saved my ***** here.

I just plugged in my brand new Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD into the PS3 and got that error message saying it coudn't find the friggin 3.55 update anywhere... and it got me real worried cuz I thought I had to revert back to my old 80GB HDD, or at the very least spend several hours looking around for how to get the new one to work, if at all it was possible.

Updating using a USB stick worked like a charm! However, I faced some trouble restoring, and here's how I fixed it:

Once the new HDD was up and running, I plugged in my external HDD (a 3.5" HDD with the PS3 backup stored in a FAT32 partition), and went to the restore function (under "Backup" and not the system restore option). It looked for backups, found it and proceeded to restore from it. So far so good... but here's the problem: as part of the restore, it first formatted the HDD, and after that tried to restore from the external HDD - but it wasn't able to find the darned backup file. It would then rebuild the databases and revert to the default system state. I tried this a few times, with the same outcome every time. Here's what I did to correct it: from the steps above, after the system formats the HDD, it will restart and ask you to press the PS3 button. Now before you press that button, unplug (or switch off) the HDD and replug/restart the HDD and then press the PS3 button.... and voila! it's going to detect the backup and proceed with the restore normally. Hope this helps.

Now I get back to good ol' Resistance 2...

0 Kudos

/16

rick1199

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rick1199
Accepted Solution

Hi, just had the "No applicable update data was found" problem.

I solved it by switching from an 8GB USB stick with lots of stuff on it to a 1GB stick with just the upgrade software on it.

This worked fine, just doing a restore now.

0 Kudos

Check out my LBP Levels.

Message me if you need hearts.
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel