03 Sep 2010
Playstation Staff

How long does a system restore take?

4 Replies 2,671 Views Created 03-09-2010

Hi,

Today I upgraded my ps3 from 40gb to 500gb and back up all my data (almost 30gb) on an external hard drive. Then I started the ps3 via USB with firmare installed and got to the system restore stage.  It started no problem but it has been almost 2 hours now and all I can see on my TV is the background for the normal XMB.  (a black screen with like stars that form a swirling horizontal pattern across the middle).

My question is how long does a restore take? Is what I'm seeing normal, I can't find any info off google.

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (2,671 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: How long does a system restore take?

It can can easily take 2 hours plus.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (2,660 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Yep, it can take a few hours to restore, It all depends on hom much is being restored too

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (2,652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

When I was backing it up it had a percentage completion bar, but this time it has nothing?! Just the swirling stars. It's been going for 10 hours now and if I hold down the power button it just beeps but does nothing...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (2,646 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well I bravely (or stupidly) decided to turn off the ps3 using the switch at the back. Luckily it restarted without any problems and began the restore process a second time. Straight away I saw a progress bar (something missing for 10hours) and hopefully it will work. I thought it was strange there was no information! Thanks for the help guys. Why does nothing ever work first time!? haha.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (2,645 Views)
0 Kudos