16 Feb 2008

Playstation Staff

How to change your Ps3 internal hard drive

11 Replies 7,345 Views Created 16-02-2008
The PS3 truly is an amazing multimedia machine however in my opinion Sony has somewhat limited the PS3’s potential by only giving it flimsy 20, 40 and 60 GB hard drives. For this reason I recently upgraded my PS3’s 40 GB internal hard drive to a massive 160 GB. It is in fact possible to go as far as 300 GB… the choice is yours. Of course it is possible to simply attach an external hard drive to your system but this would be of no use if you want to use the extra space for Game saves, demo downloads or full games like Warhawk from the Playstation Network.
In this step-by-step guide I will show you how easy it is to make your PS3 the machine it always should have been.

1. First backup your old hard drive using this drive must be formatted in FAT to be able to transfer all your downloads / saves / music / pictures / etc. It will not backup your user settings but these aren’t cept on the hard drive anyway so they will not be affected.

2.Choosing the hard drive to use is in fact probably the hardest step, but as long as you make sure that it has these specifications you’ll be fine.

Type Hard drive - internal
Form Factor- 2.5"
Interface Type- Serial ATA (any size)
Spindle Speed- 5400 rpm (or above)
Buffer Size- at least 8 MB

Here is an example of an aceptable drive:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131277

3:Next take the small hard drive cover off your PS3 ( this is located on the left hand side of the console.) then undo the bright blue screw that keeps the hard drive in place. I found that this screw had been over tightend and was extremely hard to undo, however the trick is to have a decent screwdriver and if that fails try using a small pair of pliars.

4:smileysurprised:nce you have removed this screw you should be able to slide the Hard drive in its casing to the right, do so using the small handle on the hard drive case then lift out of the PS3. Then undo the 4 screws, 2 on ether side of the hard drive casing. Slide the hard drive out of the case and replace it with the new hard drive. Redo all the screws in the reverse order.

5:Replace the hard drive back in to the PS3 and redo the bright blue screw, replace the hard drive cover. You can now turn the PS3 system on again, you will be prompted to format the Drive your system will automaticly reboot. once this is done it is simply a case of copying the old data from your previous drive on to the new one. To do this Go to Backup option and select Restore and it will format disk one more time and then restore all your saved files from external hard drive. One final reboot and your done!

this is a good video for demonstrating the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B1mQ21XXLE

Good luck :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (7,345 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: How to change your Ps3 internal hard drive

Thanks for this guide m8!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (7,344 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

very very helpful
thank you very much
OLD SKOOL GAMER 34 AND PROUD
Photobuckethttp://www.mygranturismo.net/24914
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (6,941 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Great guide, but don't forget you can already buy 80gb and 160gb ps3s already. Also I would of thought that since the ps3 isn't designed for hard drives as large as 300gb (:smileysurprised:) it wouldn't have enough power to run them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (6,915 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

so if i replace my original hard drive with a newly bought hard drive, will it affect the ps3 in any way other than change the capacity of the hard drive
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (6,777 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Zoticon wrote:
so if i replace my original hard drive with a newly bought hard drive, will it affect the ps3 in any way other than change the capacity of the hard drive
Nope, just make sure to back up your game saves to a flash drive or memory card before you swap them, then you can just copy them onto the new hard drive and you can continue on from where you left off. 
 Marty 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (6,769 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I need to do a test:

I want to install a new hard disk but later put back the original with my original operative system and, effectively, don't lose my data.

¿Is it posible?

I want to install a new hard disk, do some tests, reproduce the process of changing hard disk of one Playstation and later, be able put back the original hard disk without losing any data.

I don't know if after the change, after formating the new hard disk and installing the operative system, I am going to lose all information of my original hard disk when I reconnect this original hard disk.

¿What do you think?

Thanks

CARLOS

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (5,684 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

spawnii escribió:

I need to do a test:

I want to install a new hard disk but later put back the original with my original operative system and, effectively, don't lose my data.

¿Is it posible?

I want to install a new hard disk, do some tests, reproduce the process of changing hard disk of one Playstation and later, be able put back the original hard disk without losing any data.

I don't know if after the change, after formating the new hard disk and installing the operative system, I am going to lose all information of my original hard disk when I reconnect this original hard disk.

¿What do you think?

Thanks

CARLOS

You won't lose anything on the old drive, PS3 will only force formattting of the hard drive when putting it in a different PS3 (it is hardware encrypted). Don't try if you are in 3.56 though

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (5,637 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

jmmart99 escribió:

spawnii escribió:

I need to do a test:

¿Is it posible?

¿What do you think?

Thanks

CARLOS

You won't lose anything on the old drive, PS3 will only force formattting of the hard drive when putting it in a different PS3 (it is hardware encrypted). Don't try if you are in 3.56 though

¿What does it mean: "Don't try if you are in 3.56 though"?
¿Is there any problem with this firmware version?
Now, I have the version 3.60, the last.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (5,599 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

there was an issue with 3.56 version1, which meant that if you tried swapping HDDs whilst on that firmware things went all a bit pear shaped - people were ok as long as they had the original drive to hand.

3.56v2 sorted that - unless it had already all gone wrong with 3.56v1

no one has reported any issues in here, with HDD swaps when on 3.60 :smileyhappy:

make sure you have the latest official 3.60 to hand on a USB :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (5,582 Views)
0 Kudos