17 Feb 2011
Playstation Staff

How to completely wipe the firmware and start again?

15 Replies 4,481 Views Created 17-02-2011

As title asks really.

Is it possible to completely wipe the firmware to factory standard and start again?

Having a few problems with my PS3, HDD fault I believe. Only thing I haven't tried though is a complete wipe of the firmware and starting again.

Check out my Menu tutorial

I'm creating Portals!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (4,481 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: How to completely wipe the firmware and start again?

how you getting on with the hdd??

you can do a factory reset two ways, 1) from the xmb menu 2) from the safe mode.

Safe mode would be better.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (4,431 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Are you saying you want to delete EVERYTHING from your hard drive and restore the ps3 os?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (4,412 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

snoopystorm wrote:

how you getting on with the hdd??

you can do a factory reset two ways, 1) from the xmb menu 2) from the safe mode.

Safe mode would be better.

Not too good. Off to buy a new HDD soon.

I was trying to reinstall the 3.56 firmware but it was spamming me with errors left right and centre. I'm about ready to use this PS3 as a football!

I'm creating Portals!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (4,411 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

You can reinstall it from the os itself.

Download the file from the following link and save it to your USB.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item340292/Update-features-(ver-3-56)/

On the root of your USB, create PS3 folder and in it put UPDATE. Put the update file in there. Now plug it into your PS3 and go to system update then update via storage media. Select yes to install the same update.

Tell me if it works.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (4,405 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

mh637099 wrote:

You can reinstall it from the os itself.

Download the file from the following link and save it to your USB.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item340292/Update-features-(ver-3-56)/

On the root of your USB, create PS3 folder and in it put UPDATE. Put the update file in there. Now plug it into your PS3 and go to system update then update via storage media. Select yes to install the same update.

Tell me if it works.

Yeah, figured it out last night. Tried downloading/installing both from the PS3 system itself and from this site and transfering it over using a DVD-RW disc. Unfortunately, neither of these worked because of errors pointing towards my HDD.

However, doing some searching on Google last night, it appears others were having similar problems installing the firmware as I'm having, so they bought a new HDD and were still suffering the same problem even with a new HDD.

I'm going to buy a new HDD today, but after what I've been reading I'm not holding out hope.

I'm creating Portals!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (4,397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Dont buy a new one, otherwise this will happen:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Firmware-3-56-error-8002F225-when-replacing-hd...

The best thing to do is to try the options in safe mode.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (4,394 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

mh637099 wrote:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Firmware-3-56-error-8002F225-when-replacing-hd...

Also, dont format your current one,

The recommended option in safe mode is Restore File System

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (4,392 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

mh637099 wrote:

Tried everything mate. In safe mode, out of safe mode.

It's not the firmware my main problem is, it's running LBP2.

I have the current firmware update, just wanted to try and reupdate it incase it was corrupt. So I shouldn't have that problem in that thread you posted.

But yeah like I say, I'm not buying a new HDD because of the errors from trying to update firmware. I'm buying a new HDD because I think the sector that handles the game data on my current HDD is dead.

mh637099 wrote:

mh637099 wrote:

Too late lol.

The current HDD has been formatted numerous times, through PS3 and PC lol. Not that I really had a choice. I tried playing LBP2 and the system crashed so I restarted the system and it told me it needed to either restore the system or rebuild the database. I click OK on either of these and it pops up with another error telling me something is corrupt and it needs to format the drive.

It also fails to do a full format through the PS3 system (gets to about 45% then errors), so I stuck it in the PC and formatted it that way aswell. :smileytongue:

Basically, my PS3 is completely unplayable so I'm left with only 2 options. Buy a new HDD or buy a new PS3. And I don't fancy buying a new PS3 without first trying a new HDD in my current system.

I'm creating Portals!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (4,381 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

SuperBoof wrote:

mh637099 wrote:

Tried everything mate. In safe mode, out of safe mode.

It's not the firmware my main problem is, it's running LBP2.

I have the current firmware update, just wanted to try and reupdate it incase it was corrupt. So I shouldn't have that problem in that thread you posted.

But yeah like I say, I'm not buying a new HDD because of the errors from trying to update firmware. I'm buying a new HDD because I think the sector that handles the game data on my current HDD is dead.

mh637099 wrote:

mh637099 wrote:

Too late lol.

The current HDD has been formatted numerous times, through PS3 and PC lol. Not that I really had a choice. I tried playing LBP2 and the system crashed so I restarted the system and it told me it needed to either restore the system or rebuild the database. I click OK on either of these and it pops up with another error telling me something is corrupt and it needs to format the drive.

It also fails to do a full format through the PS3 system (gets to about 45% then errors), so I stuck it in the PC and formatted it that way aswell. :smileytongue:

Try deleting the LBP2 game data and installing it again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (4,378 Views)
0 Kudos