Technical Help

Technical Help

19 Jun 2011
By: gibbo-47 Member 9 Posts
Level 1

List of compatible hard drives for PS3

8 Replies 54488 Views Created 19-06-2011

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if Sony have ever listed hard drives that are compatible with each model of the PS3?  Or, can anyone point me to a good list somewhere?  I have tried via search but is not producing the results.

I'm looking to upgrade my original 60GB PS3 fat console.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (54,488 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: List of compatible hard drives for PS3

Any 2.5" SATA 9.5mm height drive will work. For example -

clicky me

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (54,487 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Well, that's part of my problem, not any hard drive works.  I haven't tried a Samsung, but tried a 640GB Seagate Momentus and it just keeps freezing the playstation.  I have put the old one back in for now, works fine.

I have read issues with the transfer rates of 1.5GB/s and 3.0GB/s.  And that the playstation only reads at 1.5GB/s.  However, no one elsewhere has been able to advise on what I can do.  Has anyone had similar issues upgrading their hard drive?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (54,484 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

gibbo-47 wrote:

Well, that's part of my problem, not any hard drive works.  I haven't tried a Samsung, but tried a 640GB Seagate Momentus and it just keeps freezing the playstation.  I have put the old one back in for now, works fine.

I have read issues with the transfer rates of 1.5GB/s and 3.0GB/s.  And that the playstation only reads at 1.5GB/s.  However, no one elsewhere has been able to advise on what I can do.  Has anyone had similar issues upgrading their hard drive?

Here's the 500GB drive that I put in my PS3: Hitachi HTS545050b9A300 2.5 Inch 500GB HDD SATA

I can recommend the Hitachi drive above for the PS3 because it works without problems, unlike some other so called 'PS3 compatible' drives that people have purchased on the net!.

I can't say it's 100 percent certain, as I expect that the firmware may well have been updated on the above drive by now.

--

You could contact Seagate and mention the problems that you are having with the drive and ask if any settings need to be changed on the drive before it will work properly on the PS3.

I will not buy another Seagate drive myself, as two out of 3 of mine died within about a year of purchase, I picked them at the time because they were highly recommended, then after they died I found out they went downhill the year that I purchased them.. Great!... thanks very much internets :smileysad:

One of the drives had a manufacturing fault, the protective covering on the hard drive peeled off and got stuck on the drive heads doh!.

The PS forum spell checker wants to replace xbox's with 'sob's' ! :Lol:
I'm not going to say what it wants to replace PS2's and PS3's with !!!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (54,477 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi, There is alot of hard drives that you "can" use, but not too many that actually work with the playstation 3.
The playststion 3 is very fussy when it comes to its hard drive - so here is a list of what to use, and what not to use.
If you use the wrong hard drive, it will freeze and play up. Which means lots of lost data -
So be sure to back up your playstation every 3 to 6 months.

I am using a 640gig - 5400rpm Samsung drive, and has never let me down. Just be sure not to exceed 5400rpm - or you could run into trouble down the line. - Personally i use Segate or Samsung for upgades, as i have used a few WD drives - and had problems afterwards.

- Not Recommended -

Western Digital

Fujitsu

Crucial

Kingston

Memorex

- Recommended - 

Segate

Samsung

Hitatchi

Toshiba

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (54,347 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

I've upgraded mine to a Western  digital 320GB that said it was for PS3 in the title and its been working great.

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (54,340 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

I've put WD 500Gb drives in 3 of my PS3s, and all are working fine :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (54,331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Note - the older WD drives used to park their heads slightly over-enthusiastically, which did lead to issues of freezing apparently.

Hasn't been the case for a good long while though, from what I've seen and heard

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (54,331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

TTDegs wrote:
Note - the older WD drives used to park their heads slightly over-enthusiastically, which did lead to issues of freezing apparently.

Hasn't been the case for a good long while though, from what I've seen and heard

This has been noted by some users who have used certain HDD's when recording Play TV for instance (causing freezing and skipping of the recorded programme).

From my experience I have used a Samsung and Hitachi drive in the past without any issues.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (54,326 Views)
0 Kudos