30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

MY PS3 SYSTEM UPDATE WON'T WORK.!!

14 Replies 6,609 Views Created 06-12-2009

Basically, its been about a month now that my PS3 has stopped working. We've not had a problem before. Whats happend is when we try and do the system update, it won't work. It does it uptil 73% bang on and then fails with an error code. Its been doing this for a month now. We can't even play a game as in order to play a game you need to update the system. So yeah its pretty ***** annoying as i've been away from my beloved ps3 for some time now.!! We've rang up sony three times now and no proper help. We were told to try and update through a wired connection as ours is wireless, but that also failed. We were then told to download the system update to a memory stick and then upload it like that but no luck as that has also failed. Sony said they won't replace our ps3 as we're past the warranty date however they can give us a replacement but for £128. Its a joke. The ps3 is now useless. Can't do anything with it, can't play games as it requires an update. We've restored the system, nothing has worked, someone help.!! E-mail me on:

thug_pwiincess@hotmail.co.uk (ignore the addy! it was made 7years ago in year 6!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

mattyg89

91%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mattyg89
Accepted Solution
Have you tried fromatting the HDD, it may be your only option.
0 Kudos

Re: MY PS3 SYSTEM UPDATE WON'T WORK.!!

/16

Ashii-Babyy-x

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ashii-Babyy-x
Accepted Solution

Whats HDD?? High definition drive? :S

0 Kudos

/16

Namorodo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Namorodo
Accepted Solution
Hard drive. Or you can access the debug menu and to a full system restore. You will lose yer save games though.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

dwad69

• Beta Tester
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dwad69
Accepted Solution
Ouch sounds like a nightmare, back up all your game saves and music etc then when the PS3 is on standby so just red light on hold down the power button till it beeps three times.  A new menu pops up go for Restore system to default this makes the unit think its brand new, keep the system update on your pen and see if it will download it.  I really hope you manage to get something sorted asap.  Keep us posted on how you get on :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

89%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution
sony will fob anyone off if the machine is over 1 year old, we all know its a disgrace , 128 pounds is a lot of money for something that should have lasted a lot longer my ps1 and ps2 still work, like someone says above format the hard drive and try to install firmware from usb stick if that dont work try new hard drive their pretty cheap and try again, NO way pay sony 128 pounds it wont last so if you must have a machine purchase a new one after christmas, sorry to hear of your problems but hope this advice helps good luck
0 Kudos

/16

dnlgee

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dnlgee
Accepted Solution
By restore do you mean formatted the hard drive and started over?
0 Kudos

/16

Ashii-Babyy-x

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ashii-Babyy-x
Accepted Solution

Well ii clicked restore ps3 system? and ii did the one underneath it

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

dwad69

• Beta Tester
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dwad69
Accepted Solution

@Dnlgee yes bud so do a full system backup before doing a restore, its makes the PS3 think its brand new and out the box.

@Ashii how did you get on ???

0 Kudos

Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
/16

dnlgee

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dnlgee
Accepted Solution
@dwad69 Completed missed your post before mate haha, sorry. Yea I knew about the recovery menu thing :P

@Ashii-Babyy-x you said you tried the restore option, go back into the menu dwad69 described but this time choose to restore the file system
0 Kudos

/16

gt_fin

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gt_fin
Accepted Solution

Hey i just got PS3 Slim, but none of the games work, beacause i need to update. For some reason it wnt let me download the new patch(update)on to the console, atm im downloading the update file from the Official PS3 website, i got the equipment required, how ever can you put the file on to the Flash drive using a mac or is PC the only option??

0 Kudos

/16

Mahavishnu

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mahavishnu
Accepted Solution

Should be ok on a Mac, but you will need to format the flash drive to FAT32.

On the flash drive create a folder called PS3, in that folder create another folder called UPDATE and in that folder put the file your downloading, all folder names must be in capitals.

PS3 > UPDATE > PS3UPDAT.PUP

0 Kudos

/16

gt_fin

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gt_fin
Accepted Solution

Thank you very much, although im not so sure wat you mean by ''need to format the flash drive to FAT32'' sry im not a computer person, Please tell me how :S 

Thank you very much

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Mahavishnu

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mahavishnu
Accepted Solution
  1. Insert the USB drive into a USB port on the Mac. Double-click to open the "Applications" folder inside of the Mac's hard drive. Double-click to open the "Utilities" folder. Double-click to run the Disk Utility program that comes with the Mac.

2. Click on the icon of the USB drive in the left column of the Disk Utility program. Select the "Erase" tab at the top of the Disk Utility program. Select "MS-DOS (FAT)" from the drop-down menu next to "Format." Name the USB drive in the open column below Format."

3. Click on the "Erase" button at the lower right corner of the Disk Utility program. Click on the "Erase" button in the window that appears. Wait as Disk Utility formats the USB drive so that it can be used on both Macintosh computers and PCs.

4. Quit the Disk Utility program when the USB drive has been formatted. Drag the icon of the USB drive from the desktop to the Trash icon. Remove the USB drive that has been formatted for use on Mac and PCs from the USB port of the Macintosh.

This will delete any information already on the drive.

0 Kudos

/16

gt_fin

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gt_fin
Accepted Solution