31 Oct 2009
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

My PS3 can't read discs.

15 Replies 9,265 Views Created 31-10-2009

So yesterday at about 5pm FIFA crashed on an offside replay, then XMB wouldn't open so I had to hold down the power button until it turned off! Now it won't read any discs (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) although the blue light comes on and the 'ticker' on the XMB spins but the actual Blu-ray drive makes no noise. This is exactly 398 days since I bought it...

I've tried every fix I could find apart from lens cleaners and opening the case. My question is IF I open the case and break the warranty sticker to try to fix it would Sony still repair it for a fee? Or should I just leave it closed and pay for the repair?

Thank you to DirectPriest for the best contender for a christmas no.1: http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (9,265 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: My PS3 can't read discs.

[ Edited ]

I got EXACTLY the same problem 5 days ago, I got Uncharted 2 Limited Edition. I put the Blu-Ray in the PS3 and WOOP my PS3 froze.

The blue light still comes on but it won't read anything.

I sent my PS3 back to Sony.

Imo you should try lens cleaner first and then if it doesn't solve anything, leave it closed and send it back to Sony.

Message Edited by LoneLiberator on 01-11-2009 12:06 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (9,233 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

LoneLiberator wrote:

I got EXACTLY the same problem 5 days ago, I got Uncharted 2 Limited Edition. I put the Blu-Ray in the PS3 and WOOP my PS3 froze.

The blue light still comes on but it won't read anything.

I sent my PS3 back to Sony.

Imo you should try lens cleaner first and then if it doesn't solve anything, leave it closed and send it back to Sony.

Message Edited by LoneLiberator on 01-11-2009 12:06 AM

The problem is mine is past the warranty and to my knowledge it costs around £150 to get it fixed/get a refurb model. That's why I wanted to know if I could break the warranty seal and still have them repair it :/

Thanks for the reply though, it's nice to know you'll be as bored as me... Did you have an 80GB model?

Thank you to DirectPriest for the best contender for a christmas no.1: http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (9,231 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Lol well believe me there are, at the moment, a loooooot of people like us waiting for their PS3.

Yeah my PS3 was a 80 Go model, in my opinion, if yours is past the warranty, you should buy a new Slim PS3. And yes of course you can break the warranty seal to try to fix it yourself and still have them repair it :smileyhappy:

I'm 15 and my Dad refused to buy a new one :[

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (9,198 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

This is solved now mr moderator...

I traded my psp and the games in along with a few ps3 titles that I've never played e.g: pure. All I have to do now is wait for the slim to be in stock and I can grab one with the store credit. I could also get my current ps3 fixed for £99 and get £145 trade-in but the nice lady at Sony said it would take 21 to 60 days to get it back due to a lot of breakages lately? If I have another £99 lying around though I'll get it fixed and make a profit :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (9,200 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

my ps3 has just crashed and wont read disc,sony are coming to pick it up for repair, what i would like to know is when i get it back will all my game data and everything else be lost or dose any1 know of a way of saving it,really dont want to lose all my call of duty data
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (9,186 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

t_w74 wrote:
my ps3 has just crashed and wont read disc,sony are coming to pick it up for repair, what i would like to know is when i get it back will all my game data and everything else be lost or dose any1 know of a way of saving it,really dont want to lose all my call of duty data

you won't get your PS3 back, it will be a physically different PS3 (same model)

you need to back up your saves to a USB before you send it back.

for protected saves, check out the thread in General section about 'Sony let us save protected saves' (or something like that, it's on pg1 or 2 :smileyhappy:) for a work around :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (9,177 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (9,175 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

thanks for help but doesnt matter now my smart brother had bright plan and used factory reset ,so have lost all anyway, thanks again
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (9,170 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

iv seen alot of peoplewith this problem after playing fifa what a coincidence u aswell i fixed my com earlier from something diffrent but all coms seem to be going wrong at min
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (9,169 Views)
0 Kudos