25 Nov 2011
By: iPad_iMac Member 90 Posts
Level 1

My PS3 just turns itself off?

10 Replies 19,223 Views Created 25-11-2011

My PS3 will last about 15 minutes then turn itself off, I thought it could be overheating so I've cleaned it out and it's still doing it.

HELP!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (19,223 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: My PS3 just turns itself off?

Any flashing lights?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (19,200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

does it give you any warning on the ps3 before hand ?

is it in an enclosed area?

what you might want to try is make sure its nice and clear all around it and putting a fan on it and trying it then.

see if it lasts any longer. as thats what a friend had to do.

is it not still in warrenty ? or when you say you cleaned it have you opened it ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (19,183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

It just works as normal then shuts off, no warning.

It's in a clear space and I haven't opened it up.

It's a launch model.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (19,169 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I strongly suggest you back up your data ASAP and deactivate your PS3, you have 2 options here, either contact Sony who will offer you a replacement or get yourself a new machine.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (19,144 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

iPad_iMac wrote:

My PS3 will last about 15 minutes then turn itself off, I thought it could be overheating so I've cleaned it out and it's still doing it.

HELP!

Hi iPad_iMac,

It may be worth checking the power cable, what model console do you have? On the older style you can try a different Kettle lead, or for the newer ones a generic figure of 8 lead i.e. the ones used for DVDs, Radios etc.

Also try a different socket, I know it sounds odd but it might be worth a shot! let me know how it goes?

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (19,139 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

RabidWalker wrote:

iPad_iMac wrote:

HELP!

Hi iPad_iMac,

It may be worth checking the power cable, what model console do you have? On the older style you can try a different Kettle lead, or for the newer ones a generic figure of 8 lead i.e. the ones used for DVDs, Radios etc.

Also try a different socket, I know it sounds odd but it might be worth a shot! let me know how it goes?

Rabid

I do think it could be the power cable now, I moved it out in front of the tv and if I move the PS3 even a little it will just shut off. I'll try another.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (19,105 Views)
0 Kudos

i've been having the same problem for a while. I think it might have something to do with leaving ur ps3 on standby for a long time if u have done that. That was when mine first happened, after playing ps3 for first time in months. I dont think its overheating because during summer (in australia) i played RDR for days and it didnt happen. If i turn it off at the back after each time i play it will usually work, the next time but now i'm playing BF3 it keeps turning off and is insanely enraging. If i try turning it back on straight after it also turns off straight away. I got an old 40gb fat one

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (18,951 Views)
0 Kudos

i just re-downloaded the back to kirkand add on for bf3 and had to leave it on over night and started to watch the new girl with dragon tattoo and it did it. cleaned dust off and let it sit for an hour moved to a cooler spot and still no progress

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (16,618 Views)
0 Kudos

by the way the red light flashes when it turns itself off

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (16,617 Views)
0 Kudos