27 Sep 2011
By: Fylus

3 Posts

My PS3 won't display on HDMI or AV... HELP!

4 Replies 4,998 Views Created 27-09-2011

Okay, I wanna start off by saying: this isn't the old resolution switch issue that can be resolved by simply holding the power button until it beeps a second time. I've tried all sorts of things and nothing works.

Here's the story:

I normally keep my ps3 in my room (Standard AV TV) but last night, my wifi router fell off my desk and broke so I just figured I'd take my ps3 to the living room (VIZIO HD 1080p) so I could just connect my ps3 directly to the internet. Here's where the problem started:

My ps3 wouldn't automatically change to 1080p (which it normally would. I've done this before with the same ps3, chords, and tv. Suddenly, it wouldn't change automatically this time.) So basically, it was just a black screen with no sound or anything.

I tried to fix the issue by plugging in the AV chords (yellow, white, red) and switching the channel to the corresponding AV channel. The screen remained black with no audio.

So I tried to reset the resolution by turning the ps3 off, waiting a bit, then turning it back on by holding the power button and waiting for the second beep. The screen flickered but still nothing.

Next, I tried taking my ps3 back to my room with the standard AV tv and plugged everything in. I repeated the same process as above, and still nothing....

Keep in mind, my ps3 will turn on (green light), games can still go in and eject, and the controllers will still turn on.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd really appreciate it (Especially since the Battlefield 3 Beta comes out early tomorrow!) Thank you!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (4,998 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: My PS3 won't display on HDMI or AV... HELP!

Also, I just noticed my ps3 will not turn off by pressing the button. If I press it, it just beeps 3 times in rapid succession then does nothing. No power down, nothing.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (4,972 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Fylus wrote:
Also, I just noticed my ps3 will not turn off by pressing the button. If I press it, it just beeps 3 times in rapid succession then does nothing. No power down, nothing.

Hi Fylus,

So you have tried the soft touch reset (holding the button till the second beep), have you tried doing this with both HDMI and AV cables plugged in simultaneously?

Also if there is a game in there, take this out prior to doing the soft touch reset to see if this has any affect.

Have you tried to access Safe Mode at all as well?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (4,968 Views)
0 Kudos

I have indeed tried that. I haven't, however, tried the Safe Mode function. I'll give that a try when I have time. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (4,958 Views)
0 Kudos

only plug in av chords no hdmi and do soft reset if it still doesn't display and controller wont synch when plugged in hit me up ill email u the steps its a head f@#k but u wont have to pay a cent. and no its not glod cause i have fixed a slim Gig after nearly 3-5 days doing my head in its a hdd bios or xmb corruption caused by a glitch in a patch or update that has sent ur ps3 back to default software update.and then it carnt read ur hdd bios code which then wont allow u to update it cause the motherboard bios/xmb wont recognise any thing accept the on button and the load a cd/dvd/bluray and eject it the green light is on the blue light works but the hdd light lights up for a sec then nothing. hit me up and if ur not under warranty ill walk u thru but it is a long progress that involves formatting and disassembly off ur ps3.its not reflow or reballing its a simple task off resetting everything with no display and no sound

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (4,389 Views)
0 Kudos