21 Jun 2010
By: GracefulEase

2 Posts
Accepted Solution

No power, no red light, PS3 won't turn on!

[ Edited ]
13 Replies 56,557 Views edited 10-04-2012

I was trying to reset the display settings after moving my PS3 from a full HD TV to a partial HD TV, and after turning it off and on a few times the red light disappeared and the PS3 refused to turn on.  I tried a different wall plug, and a different power cable, but to no avail.  I have made sure the switched on the back is on, and have tried turning it on and off.  I have also triple checked all the cables are in securely!  What do you recommend?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (56,557 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: No power, no red light, PS3 won't turn on!

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound good :smileysad:

you've done all the obvious things to make sure it isn't the socket or the fuse in the plug (assuming he other power leads you tried worked with somehing else) which would only really leave the psi inside the ps3 - which is not good news :smileysad:

it the leads are definitely ok, you're possibly best of Reading my ylod thread.
You don't have a ylod, but the effect is pretty much the same

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (56,539 Views)
0 Kudos

I had reset it a few times, as I was trying to fix my other PS3 at the same time, and got the two confused.  The red light disappeared after the third reset, I believe, and I now think it was part of a safety procedure designed by Sony.  After a full hour of being left off, unplugged (completely) and well-ventilated I plugged it back in and switched it back on (I always turn off the switch on the back before unplugging or pluggin in) and the red light flickered back into existance!  Then I pressed the Power button, and the PS3 revved back to life.

I know I have effectively solved my own question, making this entire thread useless, but it might help others in the future with similar problems.  Maybe...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (56,516 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

glad it's ok! :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (56,504 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hello,

Aparently I have the same problem. Tho not the same acts drove me to it. So I went to spend the wekend at a mates house, and when I arrived I found I forgot the power cord back home. So we went searching for those universal power cords, found one and put it on PS3.

Turned on all ok, but no image. Then I remembered I had it set on Full HD, so had to turn down the image settings. Now I know how to do it, but back then I didn't so we tried plugging to another TV. When I replugged the power cord... dead... no light, no bip, no nothing. Tried over and over again to recheck connections, even switched power cord... nothing, still dead.

I will be trying to leave it alone and unplugged for a while. In case it doesn't work, is there any other case like this? Is it "normal"?...

Thank you

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (54,525 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hello again,

Done did it, passed an hour without any plugs, in a cool and well-ventilated environment... Still dead... Any sugestions?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (54,491 Views)
0 Kudos

i'm having similer dificulties

so there was this storm the other night, and my ps3 just wont turn on.  no red light or any thing.  i'v tried diferent cables and outlets.  we never lost power and the only other thing screwed up is the satelite, but that might be because the surge went from the dish itself to the box.  there is no way it could logicaly be that though, because the shock would have had to pass through 2 diferent surge protectors, and bypassed the other 3 cables attached to the first surge protector, and the other 4 attached to the second.  

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (53,970 Views)
0 Kudos

Most problems on the PS3 including the red flashing light or the yellow light of death are caused by a motherboard problem.  This is where the board has overheated and the GPU and CPU which are the two big chips, have become disconnected from the motherboard because of bad connections in the circuitry.  You could send this off to be repaired but it could cost a lot of money, and you would lose the data on your hard drive as you would be sent back a reconditioned  console.  You would probably be waiting for up to six weeks to get your machine back aswell.  There is an easier and more cost effective way though, and that is to repair it yourself, which believe it or not, is actually quite easy.

For details on how to go about repairing your PS3 <a href="http://www.redlightonps3.com">see this repair guide.</a>

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (53,923 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi ghlegend195 here. ive had the same problem... and i have set it out 4 6 hours and nothing... id like to ask how 2 fix it but most people dont know how to fix the newer ps3s (and i cant take it apart and there is no power switch on it) so ive had the same terms but a different system. trivial detail (not sure if it matters) but the night it went out my house got struck by lightning so any help? anybody?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (50,953 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi I'm chacaloso777 and I was playing my ps3 but suddenly it turn off and i check if it was any unplug cable but it wasn't. My point is that there is no even the red light on my ps3 and I'm worry about it, and I want to get any abvise to make it work again???
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (45,884 Views)
0 Kudos